81 CM400 top-case damage

Drey6

Over 1,000 Posts
In dire need of some honest opinions on this one. Finally getting back to my engine rebuild and corresponding thread here :

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=58188

Yesterday after prepping some parts for install, I noticed something I missed before when I tapped the threads some time ago.

0114648e09b8d659297cf4e4900f5301.jpg

With this closer look you can see where the aluminum was cracked/chipped off at the base of the head bolt thread.

68f3afbc8bc10dd8ee1d8eea2049af0d.jpg

Now I went back through my thread on the tear down portion and noticed it there prior to tapping so I am at least glad to report I did not do this during assembly prep. With that said, it still sucks to find this. Never found any aluminum during tear down that I can remember.

So the goal for this thing anyway is to finish up the rebuild, get the overall bike looking decent on a small budget and sell it so I can proceed to the projects that are actually worth my TIME. More specifically the GS550 and newly purchased GS450 for my girlfriend, those sound like much more fun to me . With that said I'd like to to see what you all think in terms of options and anything aside from the safest route, buying a new top case.

Someone got way to excited tightening that head bolt and burned it past the end of the road. Just put some blue on that one first, install the rest and add another dab before installing that one last.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

That's what I figured happened. I find it weird I didn't discover anything after splitting the case. I feel like that is something that would have stood out on tear down....

Glad it's that simple. Thread sealer seemed like an option but wasn't sure on that due to it being a head bolt. Thanks for the advice and reassurance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom