What did you build this week?

Here's the drivers.
That 15" woofer is a beast. 22lbs.

Attachments

• chorus6.jpg
    chorus6.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 548
Aaaand done.
Turned out pretty good. Grains a little boring and I can see the corner transitions because the wood backing for the Walnut veneer is some super light wood, dumb as shit imo but it's done!

Attachments

• IMG_20190320_173720(1).jpg
    IMG_20190320_173720(1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20190320_185315(1).jpg
    IMG_20190320_185315(1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20190320_200709(1).jpg
    IMG_20190320_200709(1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 172
CrabsAndCylinders said:
They look fantastic, Sonic! What will you be driving them with?

Ortofon blue, into modified yaquin tube pre, into a marantz receiver, out to a 200wpc pro amp. It's a bit of a hodgepodge but I like it!

SONIC. said:
Ortofon blue, into modified yaquin tube pre, into a marantz receiver, out to a 200wpc pro amp. It's a bit of a hodgepodge but I like it!

Very nice! 200 watts a side wow, with their efficiency you will bust windows :) More importantly should sound fantastic.

My setup is a hodgepodge as well, ha ha.

Yeah my current rectilinear highboys take some power to get going (86db sensitivity I think) so these Klipsch should positively blast! (101 db lol)
I should have them put together for testing tonight!

Still need to make some risers and the front grilles but they sound fantastic.
Concert level sound with the kick drum is so much fun.

Attachments

• IMG_20190325_202319.jpg
    IMG_20190325_202319.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 178
irk miller said:
Storing records like that makes me twitch. :eek:
Eh they are usually all standing up nice, but I had just rifled through them trying to find that one lol

This is my rig. Nothing too fancy, but the Allison Six combined with the early US Cerwin Vega’s make for some good sounds. I’ve always wanted to try my hand at building my own speakers. Not sure I would do much better than Roy.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• IMG_3094.JPG
    IMG_3094.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 185
SONIC. said:
Still need to make some risers and the front grilles but they sound fantastic.
Concert level sound with the kick drum is so much fun.

You can get grill cloth here: https://www.parts-express.com/Search.aspx?keyword=cloth&sitesearch=true

I cut squash balls in half and put them under the legs of my turntable to help isolate it from the lower frequency vibrations.

irk miller said:
This is my rig. Nothing too fancy, but the Allison Six combined with the early US Cerwin Vega’s make for some good sounds. I’ve always wanted to try my hand at building my own speakers. Not sure I would do much better than Roy.

Cool! You can put bluetack between the speakers so that the Allison Six's stay solid with the Vegas and don't shake around, not sure if it would hurt the finish though. Do you use the Vegas only for the bass? What amp is that and what is the vertically oriented component?

CrabsAndCylinders said:
Cool! You can put bluetack between the speakers so that the Allison Six's stay solid with the Vegas and don't shake around, not sure if it would hurt the finish though. Do you use the Vegas only for the bass? What amp is that and what is the vertically oriented component?
Good call on the blue tack, but believe it or not the Allisons don't move one bit. Can't say there isn't vibration I don't see. The Vegas aren't a great standalone, IMO, but the bass is outstanding. Conversely, the Allisons have a beautifully accurate and full range sound. The amp is a Kenwood KA-7100 and there's a little Pro-Ject tube pre-amp for the turntable. That vertical component is my internet, LOL.

irk miller said:

Beautiful! I like the pairing of the CV's with something a little cleaner. How do you have that wired?
One of my buddies in college had some big CV's. The sounded OK but man when you crank them the bass was phenomenal!

The speaker part's easy, the crossover is where the trouble lies.
Luckily these were a complete set so no crossover work.

SONIC. said:
Beautiful! I like the pairing of the CV's with something a little cleaner. How do you have that wired?
One of my buddies in college had some big CV's. The sounded OK but man when you crank them the bass was phenomenal!
Wired separately into A/B, so I can isolate the Vegas.

irk miller said:
Good call on the blue tack, but believe it or not the Allisons don't move one bit. Can't say there isn't vibration I don't see. The Vegas aren't a great standalone, IMO, but the bass is outstanding. Conversely, the Allisons have a beautifully accurate and full range sound. The amp is a Kenwood KA-7100 and there's a little Pro-Ject tube pre-amp for the turntable. That vertical component is my internet, LOL.

Did you place the Allisons back in order to time-align them.

I have heard about the internet, must try it sometime.

CrabsAndCylinders said:
Did you place the Allisons back in order to time-align them.

I have heard about the internet, must try it sometime.
I had to look that up. Essentially, the only way I know to do it is for the tweeters, which on the Allisons is what is behind the screen facing the room. The woofers point up on the top plane of the speaker box facing the ceiling.

Back
Top Bottom