Newbie's '84 V65 Sabre

spotty said:
that seat looks faster already

:p

Well a crap load of progress today. First my dad finished up the threads on the new steering stem last night (great work), along with custom lock nuts (everything is custom basically). Today I sandblasted the lower triple tree and upper again cause missed a few spots, powder coated both of them, finally we cut the steering stem to length (left it long just in case), pressed it into the lower triple, then basically bolted everything up to the bike. Pics speak for themselves...

Also threw the seat on just to see what it would look like. Obviously the whole rear end is getting chopped off and a custom rear frame is being built. I have to say, though, the new forks really make the bike look amazing! Love them!

My dad gets the credit for a lot of this work!

gR0HWro.jpg

VXBnT8u.jpg

6Njr1Wl.jpg

4u30Rhk.jpg

LwK17nN.jpg

HBqtFCo.jpg

HKtYvF7.jpg

dGzpV5c.jpg

G3NTgXW.jpg

4tYbSg4.jpg

5Q4N6fY.jpg

lfrqWBw.jpg

sltBb5J.jpg

WHqATud.jpg

nnjdtoE.jpg

RbIw8Au.jpg

PNlF4q1.jpg

Looking good :) I wouldn't extend the forks this much but that is just my opinion. The amount of "custom" you and your dad did is amazing :)

Wysłane z tostera

GoCrazy said:
Looking good :) I wouldn't extend the forks this much but that is just my opinion. The amount of "custom" you and your dad did is amazing :)

Wysłane z tostera

Thanks! Looking back I could have maybe made them an inch shorter. Without these, forks would be about 3.5 inches shorter, along with a 1 inch smaller wheel, I think it would have been too low, and I'd rather not make the bike too low in the front.

Also keep in mind I don't have the 230lb engine in yet! I'm sure it'll look better with the engine and rad on... And hope that the forks will be able to hold the weight without dripping too much. Originally these bikes weigh about 215lb more than an R1 does.

Not too much today...planning on getting the steel for the frame this weekend maybe. Just another shot of the setup, along with some more fancy machining work my dad did to finish off the top nut on the triple tree. Cap with o-ring inside to keep the junk out.

RmtFFwC.jpg

Pe8Y4IM.jpg

0uIb9B0.jpg

With theese prolonged fork tubes the front wheel looks small. Spoked 18 inch would look badass :) the front hub conversion is avaliable at cognitomoto website, but I bet your dad's skills are up to the task.

Wysłane z tostera

GoCrazy said:
With theese prolonged fork tubes the front wheel looks small. Spoked 18 inch would look badass :) the front hub conversion is avaliable at cognitomoto website, but I bet your dad's skills are up to the task.

Wysłane z tostera

Agreed! A project for next year, though. Already spent a lot of money (to me) on this build.

Cut the rear end of the bike off last night and started to mock up where and how the seat is gonna mount...not final positions obviously...

bJKXBD2.jpg

0QqFZYt.jpg

FrhvyPl.jpg

ZKlLhuj.jpg

hJU4BmR.jpg

tSao39q.jpg

No more progress yet, we've all been sick here over the weekend.

My dad made a short video showing the building of the custom lockring wrenches he made for the custom lockrings he machined for the steering stem. Made on his homebuilt CNC Plasma table.

Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FSoA4Rh-hU

Hello There, great job with your caferization so far. I would like to know if it's possible to get the drawing of the steering stem. I'm working on some project with a 750vfs and the same fork as you did .

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using DO THE TON mobile app

tterence said:
Hello There, great job with your caferization so far. I would like to know if it's possible to get the drawing of the steering stem. I'm working on some project with a 750vfs and the same fork as you did .

Oufff...not sure I have any drawings bud, sorry. I basically just copied the R1 steering stem but made it longer, and made my own nuts for the top because my lathe couldn't do metric threads at the time.

Here's the almost-finished bike in case anyone was wondering:

2lqR5Nc.jpg

9pQsmPB.jpg

Hello there , I coming back to you because we have bought a r1 fork and we discover that it is mandatory to have some extenders to use this fork.
Can you help us with that? Do you have some drawing or sketch of what you've done? If not even photo of the part could help!
Again thank you for your advice !
Anyway does your bike still running good ?

tterence said:
Hello there , I coming back to you because we have bought a r1 fork and we discover that it is mandatory to have some extenders to use this fork.
Can you help us with that? Do you have some drawing or sketch of what you've done? If not even photo of the part could help!
Again thank you for your advice !
Anyway does your bike still running good ?

Cool! You're right they need fork extensions.

The pictures are included in the first page of this post, however here they are linked on another forum:

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2813425&postcount=99

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2817233&postcount=104

Note that the top fork extensions need o-rings in the machined grooves, obviously. Didn't have them in those pics. You'll need to get those somewhere as you still need the originals for the top caps!

We made spacers for the top of the fork tube and the bottom of the shocks inside the tubes (both are needed). I had to sub out the threading of the top fork extensions because they require metric thread to screw onto the top of the fork tubes. We have since gotten metric gears for our lathe, though.

I have no drawings to speak of unfortunately, so can't help you there. Basically we just measured how long we needed to add to the R1 forks to make them the same length as the stock Sabre ones (careful, though, as the axle locations on the Sabre fork are not the same as the R1, in my case anyway, not sure about the 750. R1 axle is right at the bottom of the fork, whereas stock Sabre is not, just changes the length slightly). In the end both of my extensions (top and bottom of the fork) are 3" long. I have about 1" sticking out of the top of the triple tree right now, so I have some adjustment if I want to.

Also if you do go ahead with this, make sure to calculate how much oil you need in the forks, as they will require more than factory. I believe when I did it, the R1 manual for the year I had specified a certain amount of oil, not a level. I did some calculations to find out how much volume I added with the 3" extensions and added that oil to the stock measurement. I think I originally went with 30 weight oil because I was afraid of the front end sagging too much under the heavy weight of the engine, but I can advise you that it is TOO much. My bike rides pretty hard, but I haven't had time to change it yet. If I were you I'd try 10 weight oil or something in that range.

There's really nothing special about the parts we made. The only tricky thing is machining the metric threads on these parts, and machining threads in general. For the steering stem, my dad machined a thread that our lathe could do (not metric), and we made locking nuts to match that thread. It's not something you can buy in the store, but it doesn't matter because we made the nuts too.

And yup the bike is running great, real healthy. Not much new but I did change out the tail light LED's because they were failing (crappy product).

oil weight isn't going to help with the load it can carry. 30 weight would almost lock up a set of modern cartridge forks. respring it for the weight if you need to, but you'd want a cartridge fork style 5 or 7 weight oil in those forks.

brad black said:
oil weight isn't going to help with the load it can carry. 30 weight would almost lock up a set of modern cartridge forks. respring it for the weight if you need to, but you'd want a cartridge fork style 5 or 7 weight oil in those forks.

Yeah eh. Actually I forget if I used 10 or 30 weight. Need to double check. Thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom