Tap and bit holder

alex2445

Been Around the Block
Ok so a while ago the company my dad worked for bought out another company and they brought their stuff over, which for the most part thrown away so my dad and his maintenance buddies went dumpster diving and my dad pulled out a bunch of taps. So a couple of weeks ago when my school was canceled I asked if I could make my own set and he said yes. So now I have an almost complete set from 1/4 up to 1-1/4 and some of the small ones, I'm missing about 5 or 6.

But anyways I don't have a case for them so I'm going to take a piece of wood and drill holes in it to holds the taps and some screw and nut driver bits. I got the wood from old stands used in Cub Scout events
enurehe3.jpg

After tearing it apart and stripping some heads in the process I used one of the longer boards and cut it with a jig saw since I didn't have another saw in the basement to use that didn't make a lot of saw dust
masegy8y.jpg

After I had it cut I started marking out where the taps and bits would go
5apyvady.jpg

Basically the bits will go where they are placed and the taps will go where they are on the board but with them standing up side by side and hopefully I can get it to be 18" which is the width of my tool box right now it's 23-1/2" which is the length of my tool box minus a can of machining oil. I had to stop tonight because it got late but hopefully tomorrow I'll have it all marked out and drilled sometime by the end of the week

Ok here's where I am now:
pa6equ4u.jpg

But it took a while because I had to recut the ends multiple times with a miter saw to get them square for some reason it wasn't cutting them square enough. By the way the missing spaces are for the taps I don't have and the holes that were started are for other taps that I don't have but I wanted them marked so I knew where to put the next taps. After this I'm going to sand it, use a wood burner to mark the tap sizes and then cover it with linseed oil which will protect the wood, taps and bits

Thanks Hoosier daddy I got more pics of it, after sanding it and then oiling the wood with linseed oil, I think I might cut it shorter so I can put this plastic blue bin next to it on my tool box
I wrote out the sizes with pencil before I wood burned it
yvaty9y3.jpg

Then here's it on my toolbox later tonight I'll add a pic of the wood burnings
pu7a5ema.jpg

Back
Top Bottom