Good to be here, greetings from NC

echo

I've joined this forum after getting a lot of great information from browsing the posts. Good to be here in the company of many experts and, well, colorful people! I am getting back in the bikes after a long break.

I first bought a CB750A (queue the laugh track) ca. 2010 and got my feet wet doing things like carb cleaning, valve tappets adj, points, etc. I miss that thing, it was a great ride for being basically a giant scooter :p Later I got an ugly CM400T cheap and busied myself doing things I had no business doing. By that I mean a doing top end job on the sly in an old abandoned house because I had no garage or place to work on it. I remember trying to pull the head bolts and encountering a huge amount of resistance backing some of them out. When I got those bolts out I was horrified to see ALL the threads had stripped off and remained in the cases :(. I still feel like I did something wrong but I assume the bolts were just seized/fused. Anyways it began a downward spiral that was me reaming out the holes with a cordless drill and trying helicoils, followed by big serts. They were off-angle of course and I was barely able to put the bolts back in at the end (not to mention anyone's guess the real torque on the bolt!!). It ran but it leaked oil and I got rid of it. Just a quick horror story for ya.

So fast forward to today, I've got a new '72 CL175 and a garage to work on it in (never end a sentence with a preposition!). I've done the adjustments and replaced tires, control cables, brakes and some other small stuff. But now I've had it out, seen some more work may be needed (I will ask about that in another post). Hope to hear from you all thanks

Yes, welcome to DTT.
My wife has a 78 CB400A. And we BOTH love riding that bike.

Bozz said:
Welcome!
(from Saxapahaw)

I used to ride through Saxapahaw all the time when i lived in White Cross. I hung around the shop at Davis Customs in those days and leaned a lot from Randy and Spud. They used to have a fantastic 1930s Henderson motorcycle in a back room that was just gathering dust.

By the way friends, I posted about an issue on the engines thread yesterday and I was hoping someone can chime in if you have a sec. i just wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction :)

Back
Top Bottom