1982 CB750F Super Sport - (no longer a Brat Project)

redwillissuperman said:
885bffcc55c88c8780cc509518280e44.jpg

$86 bucks.

https://jet.com/product/detail/f36a970a94d64f5b97b1c9f910596c19?jcmp=pla:ggl:hardware_a1:tools_measuring_tools_sensors_a1_other:na:na:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=aa938fab-0426-4117-b009-d757504e0de9&gclid=Cj0KEQiAzai0BRCs2Yydo8yptuIBEiQAN3_lFrfnurSna4JpRPJpimgBIqdA6_oSVG5Ffou5hEXXbFwaAni78P8HAQ

Drywall squares are on sale at Lowes

This is more entertaining for the banter than it is for the build! ;D

Great work so far. regardless if you "should" or "should not have" done something, you turned it around and fixed it the right way. I am excited to see how your engine rebuild turns out.

In regards to DOHC's advise, I took it with my bike. I did not do a rebuild at all. Just new gaskets, because there was a oil leak, and some paint to clean things up. I'm not very knowledgeable with valve clearances, or other engine intricacies. I did take a stab at setting my timing tho lol, cant wait to see how that fires! xD I am curious and "tinkerer" so after I ride it this summer I probably will do more!

In the end it is always a learning process, and in the end you walk away with more knowledge for the next project! :)

And now I will definitely NOT be shimming my valves. Even though they probably need it.

Depressing saga

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

88SS said:
And now I will definitely NOT be shimming my valves. Even though they probably need it.

Depressing saga

Yeah - just ride it til it goes bang ::)

hillsy said:
Yeah - just ride it til it goes bang ::)

Only a couple problems I have with that:
1. I don't want it to go bad. I want as much life as possible

2. Tuning the carbs are pain in the ass, especially when the valves are off. You know they are off at 20,000 miles...

88SS said:
Only a couple problems I have with that:
1. I don't want it to go bad. I want as much life as possible

2. Tuning the carbs are pain in the ass, especially when the valves are off. You know they are off at 20,000 miles...

So do the valves then. Or pay a shop to do them.

Pointless ignoring them.

Your right hillsy! I can't find a shop that will touch it tho. I just moved to Fredericksburg, and so far the moto community has been a mixed bag of douches. Everyone turns their noses up.

88SS said:
Your right hillsy! I can't find a shop that will touch it tho. I just moved to Fredericksburg, and so far the moto community has been a mixed bag of douches. Everyone turns their noses up.

It's not that hard. Do the valve clearances.

Can't believe someone read this post and commented on it again. But, since you did, let me tell you that I learned a lot from my experience and ultimately getting into the motor helped me to correct some underlying issues that ultimately would have shortened the life of this bike. One of the things I don't think I ever mentioned was the cam tensioner guides were nearly toast, all cracked and rock hard. That is another example of an issue avoided as a result of getting into the motor.

The final result of the bike was all good. Everything I did ultimately made it better, not worse as some would have you believe or at least tried to predict. I kept it all this time, and only very recently sold it to someone in California. So it has a new home now.

ben

armourbl said:
Can't believe someone read this post and commented on it again. But, since you did, let me tell you that I learned a lot from my experience and ultimately getting into the motor helped me to correct some underlying issues that ultimately would have shortened the life of this bike. One of the things I don't think I ever mentioned was the cam tensioner guides were nearly toast, all cracked and rock hard. That is another example of an issue avoided as a result of getting into the motor.

The final result of the bike was all good. Everything I did ultimately made it better, not worse as some would have you believe or at least tried to predict. I kept it all this time, and only very recently sold it to someone in California. So it has a new home now.

ben

Haha.... I'm having that kind of day. Congrats.

armourbl said:

ben

Strangely enough I was searching threads for shimming valves.

Sounds like you've been through it, but there's no way I'm selling mine. It's already hard to find one stock

88SS said:
Strangely enough I was searching threads for shimming valves.

Sounds like you've been through it, but there's no way I'm selling mine. It's already hard to find one stock

If there's one bit of advice I can give you about taking out cams (especially in a motor where they've probably never been taken out) - get a suitable drift and whack the heads of the cam cap bolts before you even think about putting a socket or wrench on them. They have been through a million heat cycles and you can bet your bottom dollar you will snap at least one of them trying to remove them without some impact to loosen the threads. The bolt heads have rims on them, so your drift wont move and smash anything as long as you are not totally ham-fisted.

Hi armourbl
I just found your post. Wow some people are real as*#7 holes!!! It is your bike do as you please. Your bike is a mass produced Japaneses bike (a very good one) I used to own one. It is not historically important. If you want to cut it up go for it. Old aluminum engines can be difficult to work on, as you are finding out. Stick at it. I think you are doing great, the bike is worth the effort.

hillsy said:
If there's one bit of advice I can give you about taking out cams (especially in a motor where they've probably never been taken out) - get a suitable drift and whack the heads of the cam cap bolts before you even think about putting a socket or wrench on them. They have been through a million heat cycles and you can bet your bottom dollar you will snap at least one of them trying to remove them without some impact to loosen the threads. The bolt heads have rims on them, so your drift wont move and smash anything as long as you are not totally ham-fisted.

I don't have to remove the cams to shim the valves. I don't anticipate having to may other issues. Timing is good. The only other thing that may need attention would be the tensioner, and I'm hoping it won't. Just want a smooth trip down to Alabama in October

88SS said:
I don't have to remove the cams to shim the valves. I don't anticipate having to may other issues. Timing is good. The only other thing that may need attention would be the tensioner, and I'm hoping it won't. Just want a smooth trip down to Alabama in October

Realise that about the shims - I was more lamenting on the OP snapping off a cam cap bolt or two on his motor.

Back
Top Bottom