I need a seriously good source of NOS Kawasaki bits - or even scrap parts!

Khaos

Cafe Racer in Cardiff, Wales
It looks like Kawasaki are quietly trying to sweep the GPZ305 under the carpet. They appear to no longer supply the drive gear for the oil pump - part 13216-1031 - and since this is a nylon part it's not as long-lasting as it could be... and when the teeth on it go, they take the engine with them.

I really, REALLY want to get hold of one or two of these. I think I've found some in Australia - waiting to hear about cost/shipping - but can anyone recommend a supplier? Apparently there's other parts that have dropped off the Kawasaki supply list, like a gasket on the front wheel assembly that they no longer make as well (between carrier and wheel?), GPZ305's are rare now, they're going to get a LOT rarer, I think. I'd like to keep mine on the road!

julian.allard66 said:
Z power in Lancashire
Cradley Heath Kawasaki

Thank you, I'll give them a ring tomorrow. I think at this point my only hope is New Old Stock on the back of a shelf somewhere, or scrap items. Who knows, though?

its not just the gear

the oil pump pickup tube and screen aree to small they get clogged up and restrict oil pressure

while at the same time causing the oil pump to straining against a partial vacuum putting even more load on the plastic gear

all while starving the rods

cxman said:
its not just the gear

the oil pump pickup tube and screen aree to small they get clogged up and restrict oil pressure

while at the same time causing the oil pump to straining against a partial vacuum putting even more load on the plastic gear

all while starving the rods

Yep, this I know. They're getting cleaned out. BUT - I want to get hold of another pump drive sprocket. I'm looking for a parts source, Kawasaki aren't making this nylon part any more.

The joys of vintage bike ownership.

I'm cobbling together a 1980 Suzuki GS450E restoration from parts scrounged off of ebay. Some parts are no longer in production so online searching is the only alternative. I'm looking at buying a parts bike this weekend for this resto if all goes well.

I'm contemplating buying a new bike that I know I'll be able to get parts for over the next couple of decades before I cash in my chips. All my current bikes would be just vintage machines to ride once in a while. My youngest bike is my GS500 born in '97... twenty-years old.

Dwayne said:

I'm cobbling together a 1980 Suzuki GS450E restoration from parts scrounged off of ebay. Some parts are no longer in production so online searching is the only alternative. I'm looking at buying a parts bike this weekend for this resto if all goes well.

I'm contemplating buying a new bike that I know I'll be able to get parts for over the next couple of decades before I cash in my chips. All my current bikes would be just vintage machines to ride once in a while. My youngest bike is my GS500 born in '97... twenty-years old.

I totally agree. Here's a thought for you - Suzuki Bandits are cheap, plentiful, and if nothing else that's a hell of an engine, right there. Now might be the time to stockpile a couple for a classic project in 20 years' time ;)

Not too sure on the others, but Kawasaki has been not producing spares on most of their older bikes for a while now.

I've got a z1300 and my friend at a Kawasaki dealer looked up his spare parts list and the only thing he could find me OEM was a master cylinder inner cap.

If you think postage from Aus is to much you can always check postage from mine to yours. If it is cheaper I will be happy to forward them on for the cost of postage.

My postcode is 4214

Khaos said:
I totally agree. Here's a thought for you - Suzuki Bandits are cheap, plentiful, and if nothing else that's a hell of an engine, right there. Now might be the time to stockpile a couple for a classic project in 20 years' time ;)

I'm thinking of picking up a S40 and turning it into a scrambler. Air cooled, light weight, still in production after many years as new, tons of them available used and for cheap. Parts supply should be good for some time to come.

I think you just talked me into my next couple of acquisitions. :)

Dwayne said:

My youngest bike is 25 next year, fortunately Honda still make it, and it has 4 cylinders.

Brodie said:
If you think postage from Aus is to much you can always check postage from mine to yours. If it is cheaper I will be happy to forward them on for the cost of postage.

My postcode is 4214

Thank you - that is... bloody hell, I'm lost for words - and that doesn't happen often! Thanks bro.

this 305 i bet its a great lightweight motorcycle except for pump gear issue ? if so then its a golden op for you
i would bet if you had a 3 hundred of those gears fabbed out of a superior polymer ,you could triple your money selling them at a reasonable price
there is other pretty popular older machines that need better plastic gears...ie the gt triple suzi's and the coweetriples
25 years ago the cost v return would not pencil in your favor ,nope
now in 2017 ,totally different scene,man

xb33bsa said:
this 305 i bet its a great lightweight motorcycle except for pump gear issue ? if so then its a golden op for you
i would bet if you had a 3 hundred of those gears fabbed out of a superior polymer ,you could triple your money selling them at a reasonable price
there is other pretty popular older machines that need better plastic gears...ie the gt triple suzi's and the coweetriples
25 years ago the cost v return would not pencil in your favor ,nope
now in 2017 ,totally different scene,man

Yeah, when she's running (and having spoken to the bloke who's fixing her, there's a rant-post coming up about previous owner) she's a delight. Never going to be a 140mph cruise missile, but plenty of b-road fun to be had.

I was actually looking at getting a couple of cogs made in bronze or steel, and selling on possibly. Also looking at better camchain tensioner springs, and a method of increasing oil flow by replacing the gauze filter on the oil feed pump and modifying the pipe itself (flaring the end for increased inlet flow).

re-gear it,spin the pump- faster volume cured
job done, annnddd some murphy switches re oil pressure
a warning light and engine kill 1.5 seconds latr orrrrr murphy warning light simaltaneous dump of the 22oz high side oil pressure accumulator with adjustable pressure/pulsation sensing dump valve ...

spinning the pump faster with the inlet issues will cause cavitation and actually add to the problem

the other problem with spinning the pump faster is that I'd have to modify the gearing - not going to happen. Fitted an upgraded cog made of superior materials is a no-brainer - having to modify other parts of the assembly is something to be avoided.

Whilst the oil pressure generated by the pump is adequate, the oil feed pipe bore is restrictive. Flaring the pipe to reduce inlet flow impedence, and improving the flow efficiency of the secondary gauze filter will, I hope, provide a worthwhile improvement.

i see
an accumulator even a dumb one, is still an easy thing to engineer and fab,.and its a cheap thing to add on that can potentionally do more good on a plain bearing engine than anything else,by being able to stop an impending melting process :D

what i would do in todays technology

is find a new gear

have it 3d scanned take the file and

get a company like these guys

http://www.quickparts.3dsystems.com/rapid-parts-prototypes-c/?gclid=CP2T1_Lm4NACFcSKswodRRIMhA

to make you a few using dmp (direct metal printing)

xb33bsa said:
i see
an accumulator even a dumb one, is still an easy thing to engineer and fab,.and its a cheap thing to add on that can potentionally do more good on a plain bearing engine than anything else,by being able to stop an impending melting process :D

I'd rather keep it simple - closer to stock the better.

In other news - good news - I've now got 3 drive sprockets on the way from Lester motorcycles in Leicester. Sim Lester is a totally down to earth bloke, good chat earlier, and fast response. No computer, he's got a stock book - it took him 15 seconds to tell me he's got 2 from gpz305, and one from gpz250 that might be a match. Despite a different part number, it's a match for the others, so job done.

Back
Top Bottom