New Throttle Help

thefish

Been Around the Block
Hey guys, I'm new to working on moto throttles and have put myself in a predicament.

I bought the throttle and I'm happy with the way it looks but it definitely does not fit the original throttle cable (which the top part is broken anyways). It's a very straight forward cable and looks about as basic as it comes. So with that I thought it wouldn't be tough at all to find a cable to match the throttle. But this is proving harder than anticipated.

Do you guys have any ideas?

I'm open to returning the throttle I bought for a new assembly, but I'd rather use the one I bought as it goes really well with the intended look of the bike.

I hear Motion Pro makes custom cables but I'm not sure how this works.

My bike is an '83 Kawi 750 LTD
The throttle assembly can be found here...
https://revivalcycles.com/products/domino-rally-vintage-throttle

Post some pics of your New Throttle so we can guide you better

Kamn said:
Post some pics of your New Throttle so we can guide you better

Pretty sure there's no thread in the cable connecting part. I'll post a pic with phone in a second... company computer isn't so friendly with this stuff. That link will also take you to more pics

8226cf2bacce9b56b75ad5b45fb4dfc5.jpg

53b26bfbb0b577717c1455ee0394b517.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

And revival cycle sells a cable kit for the Domino's
https://revivalcycles.com/collections/motorcycle_throttles

You may want to contact them and get further info on it

Hey Fish, absolutely do not want to hijack your thread, but I have a question about the throttle assembly you're looking at. With the one cable, does that mean it's not a push/pull throttle, and has some kind of spring mechanism inside the throttle to return it instead? And therefore only one cable to the carbs instead of the two that are needed for a push/pull throttle? I'm asking because I don't know the difference between different throttle setups! Thanks man, and I dig your choice - that throttle looks great

The Jimbonaut said:
Hey Fish, absolutely do not want to hijack your thread, but I have a question about the throttle assembly you're looking at. With the one cable, does that mean it's not a push/pull throttle, and has some kind of spring mechanism inside the throttle to return it instead? And therefore only one cable to the carbs instead of the two that are needed for a push/pull throttle? I'm asking because I don't know the difference between different throttle setups! Thanks man, and I dig your choice - that throttle looks great

I have an idea of what is going on but I don't want to stick my foot in my mouth as I'm pretty new to this stuff. Better to let somebody else jump on this question and save any confusion.

And no worries! I don't consider it hijacking. Hopefully we both learn something new and useful.

When switching to this style throttle it will be a single cable "pull" only. There is no spring inside to return the throttle, the carb does that for you

Cool Fish, thanks man - I'm learning new stuff here on DTT every day =)

Thanks for the info Kamn, out of interest does this system work on all carbs? Would it work on my '81 CB750K that has a push/pull throttle set up? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to the single cable throttle set-up as opposed to the push/pull (double cable) set-up?

Fish - I'm digging that throttle man - did you mount it on your ride yet? I'd love too see how it looks and how the throttle return feels. Great choice =)

Kamn said:
When switching to this style throttle it will be a single cable "pull" only. There is no spring inside to return the throttle, the carb does that for you

Okay, that's what I thought was happening

The Jimbonaut said:
Fish - I'm digging that throttle man - did you mount it on your ride yet? I'd love too see how it looks and how the throttle return feels. Great choice =)

Thanks man - that's why I don't want to get rid of it. Currently I'm trying to find a way of getting a cable on it that will attach correctly to the carbs. It's just one single cable that is a pretty simple setup, but so far it's not as easy to find one as I thought.

How's your rebuild going?

If you know fitting size that will screw into the end of the throttle housing, you can order what you need as well to make your own cables.
Suppliers like Venhill have individual components to purchase

Kamn said:
If you know fitting size that will screw into the end of the throttle housing, you can order what you need as well to make your own cables.
Suppliers like Venhill have individual components to purchase

Alright, I'll check that out. I may just go the Motion Pro route and have a custom cable made for me. Just got off the phone and it looks like it'd only be about $42 plus shipping. Not bad for what you get plus peace of mind.

Jimbo... if you're looking for a custom cable I'd go that^ route

I'll definitely do that. I'm not sure what the advantages/disadvantages are of one system over the other but man I sure like the look of that throttle =)

My rebuild is moving along slowly but surely, working on the engine and carbs as much as I can so that when I pull the bike apart and finally reassemble it I'll know that mechanically it's in pretty good shape. Waiting on a carb rebuild kit from Randakk's to arrive - once the carbs are taken care of then I'll move on to disassembling the bike and getting out the angle grinder. Can't wait...

The Jimbonaut said:
Cool Fish, thanks man - I'm learning new stuff here on DTT every day =)

Thanks for the info Kamn, out of interest does this system work on all carbs? Would it work on my '81 CB750K that has a push/pull throttle set up? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to the single cable throttle set-up as opposed to the push/pull (double cable) set-up?

Yes the throttle will work on the CB, the pull does the work the push is a backup cable Honda puts on for safety for a sticky throttle or if the pull cable snaps you can swap the push and still get home. The single cable just gets installed on the pull side of your carb and there is a spring on the carb to return the cable when you let the trottle go.

I agree! Revival Cycles is where you can find them.

Same with my rebuild. It's hard not to get ahead of yourself sometimes and start getting the "cool" stuff that isn't called "carb cleaner" haha do you know if it's necessary to buy the rebuild kit? My gaskets are in pretty good shape and I don't see the reason to replace the jets. Maybe somebody can explain why this is required.

So you're chopping it up a good bit huh? How much so?

Cheers Maritime, kinda what I thought.

No kidding fish, I smell carb cleaner in my sleep, my wife thinks I use it as aftershave. I'm loving this part too, wanted to be a doctor when I was kid and the mechanical side of this project really ticks that box. Incidentally I gave up on the doctor plan when I realized science played a big part - never my strong point. I get a bit unglued with that kind of thing.

Got a brat/street scrambler mash-up in my head, don't think I'll be doing the clip on/cowl/rear set thing as my neck and lower back just would not love me for it. Love the Classified Moto look - really personal and custom. Still early days, but thinking to strip the tank back to bare metal, leather brat seat with rear seat hoop and led tail light, remote reservoir shocks with some extra height and clean up the dials up front...

thefish said:
I agree! Revival Cycles is where you can find them.

Same with my rebuild. It's hard not to get ahead of yourself sometimes and start getting the "cool" stuff that isn't called "carb cleaner" haha do you know if it's necessary to buy the rebuild kit? My gaskets are in pretty good shape and I don't see the reason to replace the jets. Maybe somebody can explain why this is required.

So you're chopping it up a good bit huh? How much so?

You only need rebuild kits if you have damaged or missing parts. Most of the time you just need to clean the jets really well and OEM are way better than aftermarket that generally come in kits. If the o-rings and gaskets are in good shape and seal up, keep them, just clean the crap out of all of the parts and then when they look clean, do it again cause you missed something LOL.

Maritime said:
... and then when they look clean, do it again cause you missed something LOL.

Do you have an idea of how long this should take on average? Don't want to cut any corners, just want a better sense of what kind of time needs to be set aside for this.

4 carbs. Semi-dirty. Noob.

Back
Top Bottom