"Doing it Right" or "How to Build a Functional Café Racer"

Re: "Doing it Right" or "How to Build a Functional Café Racer"

Psycrow said:
I will admit strait up I have not read the entire thread YET but I felt it was important to comment on some of the things the OP stated even though it was 2012 he made many great points and responses have added may more and I whole heartedly support the positive tone his post took however I have a big issue with one of his main points. I seriously think the definition of "Cafe Racer" needs to evolve somewhat.. cafes racers of their day were brittish twins modern in their own time and cut and modified to remove the unnecessary and mod the essential for maximum performance. If we apply that to today it would be doing the same to a late model GSXR.. if your going to extend the term beyond its origins an include 70's and 80's UJMs then you can't apply other rules to the term either. What am I going on about? The attitude that if you don't over bore and port and polish your doing it wrong... I am getting so sick of this attitude and it's what keeps me from certain other boards with Cafe in the name....I strongly agree with function over form and the importance of making a bike mechanically sound before dumping money into esthetics HOWEVER.
Even with mechanical knowledge sorceing performance parts for these older UJMs are getting difficult. I see no requirement for someone posting a build thread focused on estitics while also addressing mechanical issues. I think it's okay to take an old ugly bike from the past and keep it on the road and current with trends of the time and not chase some idea of performance that will never be achieved by the standards set by today's bikes. If someone takes a runner and tunes it up replaces worn parts and rotting rubber then starts making it look trendy where is the problem? Please do not look down on these people or call them less because they can't afford or have the desire to chase HP... can't it simply be a cafe because of the style the bike is aspiring to?

Psy

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
I just spent a ton of money porting, boring and polishing crap from the 70's and now you're telling me thats wrong?? i must go pick on someone with a non runner now..

datadavid said:
I just spent a ton of money porting, boring and polishing crap from the 70's and now you're telling me thats wrong?? i must go pick on someone with a non runner now..
No I never said that was wrong... if that's what you want to do have at it and post a thread I'd love to read it! I'm saying stop looking down on and insulting the "body kit on a tractor" crowd or you'll be sitting here on a dead forum debating with the 15% that care about how you ported your head...
If you want to mod and throw cash at an old small displacement bike to see just how far you CAN push it that's fine but ...chasing HP gains on a CB360 for the sake of HP gains is a false economy..... sell and buy a 550... oh wait ... I meant a 750... oh... screw it I guess I'll get a Busa and strip it to look vintage....

Psy

Oh and according to some of these opinions (not mine) if you paid someone ELSE to do that work for you.... you ARE doing it wrong....

If you were in it for the economy, you wouldn't be building a café racer to begin with. You'd just buy it from someone else. ;)

Psycrow said:
No I never said that was wrong... if that's what you want to do have at it and post a thread I'd love to read it! I'm saying stop looking down on and insulting the "body kit on a tractor" crowd or you'll be sitting here on a dead forum debating with the 15% that care about how you ported your head...
If you want to mod and throw cash at an old small displacement bike to see just how far you CAN push it that's fine but ...chasing HP gains on a CB360 for the sake of HP gains is a false economy..... sell and buy a 550... oh wait ... I meant a 750... oh... screw it I guess I'll get a Busa and strip it to look vintage....

Psy

Oh and according to some of these opinions (not mine) if you paid someone ELSE to do that work for you.... you ARE doing it wrong....

Just kidding of course.. i do have a build thread though!

And in order to do all machine work yourself you would still have to buy equipment for millions, if you dont make your own mills and lathes and so on.. so i just pay some old dudes who wants me to take over their businesses eventually since they have no kids and im about the only 30 something in this land to have a genuine interest in vintage crap..
Btw all my bikes are tractors because of how i ride them too many locked joints and vertebrae to properly control a vehicle here. If only someone would have told me to get an education and a cushy job instead of working steel all my life.

Back
Top Bottom