1978 KZ650 Cafe Racer "Jellybean"

Is the vacuum port plugged? Maybe that's your problem. I know I've forgotten to plug it on occasion with similar symptoms on my kz650. Can't tell from your pics or video.

Sorry all, I kinda got stalled when I found out the ignition advance springs were bad. I've been looking into having springs made (little luck there), but I'm also wondering if it would be better to just go electronic. I've also been working on the track/autox car because I found a free parts car. I will be starting up on the KZ soon though.

The vacuum ports are closed, but may be worn.

CafeRacer650 said:
Sorry all, I kinda got stalled when I found out the ignition advance springs were bad. I've been looking into having springs made (little luck there), but I'm also wondering if it would be better to just go electronic. I've also been working on the track/autox car because I found a free parts car. I will be starting up on the KZ soon though.

The vacuum ports are closed, but may be worn.

Def go electronic.

Used a Dyna-S on my twin. It was made for a 4 cylinder so I had to remove half of it. Here's what you need.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?itemDescription=Dyna-S+Ignition+DS2-2+KZ550+KZ650%2f750&item=DYDS2-2

crackerman said:
Used a Dyna-S on my twin. It was made for a 4 cylinder so I had to remove half of it. Here's what you need.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?itemDescription=Dyna-S+Ignition+DS2-2+KZ550+KZ650%2f750&item=DYDS2-2

Did you use a control module for setup?

gijoe13844 said:
I wasnt able to read the whole thread but do you still have the original front fairing?

Unfortunately no. It got smashed when I dropped the bike shortly after buying it years ago.

CafeRacer650 said:
Did you use a control module for setup?

No need for control module, I think. I know I didn't need one. Your 4 banger should be really easy. Just bolt up and add power to the electronic ignition. They include a splitter in the kit, so you can use the power going to the coil.

crackerman said:
No need for control module, I think. I know I didn't need one. Your 4 banger should be really easy. Just bolt up and add power to the electronic ignition. They include a splitter in the kit, so you can use the power going to the coil.

Thanks man, I'll look into it. This helps because I thought I needed to get a control module, and the price with a module is what was holding me back.

crackerman said:

It looks like the kit you suggested is a great points replacement, but unfortunately it is still controlled by the mechanical advance, which is what is giving me issues. I am going to have to find something that will address the advance electronically. Thanks for your suggestion!

Here is what I am dealing with, for those who ever encounter a similar issue. The springs that retain the counter weights that are part of the mechanical ignition advance, are shot. This happens when you hit the ton too much (if you can ever do it "too" much). At high speeds these springs are working their hardest to hold the counterweights from exiting through your engine case. Ok that's slightly dramatic, but you get the idea. Anyway, when these springs are stretched they allow the counterweights to spin out (advancing the ignition) too early. This will lean out your engine and lower RPMS. As you can see in this picture, my springs are stretched and useless. I would pull one off another Kawasaki, but each advance is designed specifically for each engine, so I need to find a replacement for a kz650 4cyl. However, visual inspection doesn't guarantee a functioning product, so I really need to get new springs. No one makes them. BSully is looking into a couple local companies to see if they would do a small run of springs for the DTT guys. So far no luck. It's looking like an fully electronic ignition is in my future. Anyway, just an FYI.

IMG_0209.JPG

crackerman said:
It replaces that unit. You don't need that anymore.

Are you referring to the original link you sent? The Dyna-S Ignition DS2-2 kit? How does the advance work if there is no controller?

Here's a thought, what about swapping out the old 70's mechanical ignition with the 80's KZ factory electronic ignition? Has anyone done that before?

Here's what I found regarding the Dyna kit.

Overview of Dyna S Ignition - DS22

- Self-contained unit installs under points cover
- Utilizes a magnetic rotor with the original spark advancer, maintaining the factory advance curve
- Allows individual cylinder pair timing adjustment
- Replaces points and condensers, as well as many original electronic units
- Must use 3 ohm or higher ignition coil

See link:
https://www.denniskirk.com/20274.sku?utm_source=shopping&utm_medium=cse

Here's a shot of it. That black thing replaces what you have. You have 2 magnets because you got 2 coils.

f1f29898.jpg

crackerman said:
Here's a shot of it. That black thing replaces what you have. You have 2 magnets because you got 2 coils.

It looks like you just took out the mechanical advance. Do you have any issues with mixture or power at higher RPMs?

Yes, I removed the advancer and it's replaced with that black thing. No issues. Bike runs great, idles real low and no issues starting. I just had to turn the plate to get the timing right. I'm using the original beat up coil as well. Plugs are new.

CafeRacer650 said:
Here's a thought, what about swapping out the old 70's mechanical ignition with the 80's KZ factory electronic ignition? Has anyone done that before?

I don't know about the KZ650, but the factory electronic ignition from the 80's 440s (82-84 IIRC) swaps into the earlier KZ400/440s that used points really easily. Add the igniter to the circuit, pull out the old points rotor/advance and put in the new one. And I believe that the 440 electronic ignition works on the KZ750 twins to replace their points-style ignition too. So there is some interchangability, there may be a factory swap for your 650 too.

Back
Top Bottom