1978 CB550 Pieces/Parts Hellride

Maritime said:
Shit the GL1000 only has an 5 gal tank and gets 200 miles out of a tank, the 550 should get more than that between fills with 9!
Hahaha. I'm totally kidding. 9 liters more like it. This tank is around 2.5 gallons, maybe closer to 3, but definitely no more than that. It's a Gen 1 CB750 tank shortened, narrowed and shaved.

Ha, I didn't look that close to it, I may have noticed. You still should be ok for at least 100 miles

The tail end of the subframe points upwards a little much for me but that’s just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

The stance makes me think flat tracker.... you should build a flat tracker out of a 550. I triple dog dare you.

cb360j said:
The stance makes me think flat tracker.... you should build a flat tracker out of a 550. I triple dog dare you.
Haha. It will certainly have some tracker queues. That is for sure, intentional and part of the reason for that subframe.

I would say having 20mm ID bearings and a 17mm axle is a good reason to make captive wheel spacers. The bike is looking good.

Rat_ranger said:
I would say having 20mm ID bearings and a 17mm axle is a good reason to make captive wheel spacers. The bike is looking good.
This is what I did. You could say that's what they are. I machined the black pieces in the drawing to adapt the wheels for the smaller axle . I'm calling them sleeves. Everything presses together so that the sleeve flanges line up with the bearings' inner race. Grey is the hub/bearing assembly. Blue is the outer spacers. Yellow the axle. The 550 comes stock with a captive spacer outboard of the sprocket side.

Attachments

• wheeladapt.jpg
    wheeladapt.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 853
I had an XL350 rear wheel lying around, but a PO welded the sprocket carrier to the hub. With the size of the sprocket, I’m guessing it was some sort of hill climber or something. Instead of going out and spending a bunch of money to swap for a different wheel, this will get me a 36 spoke hub to put an 18” rear wheel.

Yes, I’m throttling back and forth on wheels. LOL. Still waiting on Buchanan to get back to me on a spoke invoice to convert to a 17” front wheel. So the dilemma is whether to go 17/17 or 19/18. 17/17, is likely the way, but I need to spin a bit longer.

Regardless, it was fun to unfuck an XL hub...

Attachments

• IMG_3460.JPG
    IMG_3460.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 253
  • IMG_3461.JPG
    IMG_3461.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 255
  • IMG_3462.JPG
    IMG_3462.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 256
  • IMG_3463.JPG
    IMG_3463.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 256
My new handlebars came in, along with my 2.5 x 17” DID GL rim to build the front wheel. Hopefully spokes will be in from Buchanan by the weekend. I did also get spokes for the rear wheel that came in today. Fortunately, the same spokes will build a GL wheel and a wheel with a GL rim and CB550 hub.

Attachments

• IMG_3465.JPG
    IMG_3465.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 260
  • IMG_3464.JPG
    IMG_3464.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 260
Those rims look dope... but, a 19" front and rear is what all the flat track bikes run :) (i think)

cb360j said:
Those rims look dope... but, a 19" front and rear is what all the flat track bikes run :) (i think)
They do. ;) But, being one and taking cues from one aren't the same thing. Plus, this idea will develop over time, so anyone that knows me knows that where I start and where I finish are rarely in the same book. Haha. I don't have room for full adjustment with an 18" rim on this GS swingarm. The GS uses two 17" wheels, so I am too. I definitely don't want to run a 17/19 combo.

Front brakes with adapter brackets...

Attachments

• IMG_3473.JPG
    IMG_3473.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 263
  • IMG_3474.JPG
    IMG_3474.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 261
  • IMG_3475.JPG
    IMG_3475.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 314
  • IMG_3476.JPG
    IMG_3476.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 323
17s look good on a tracker style bike. Plus with all the supermotos there are tires that fit the look too. I'm running the shinko 705s on my xs and so far am pretty happy with them.

Rear fender. The profile should match the 17” wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_3478.JPG
    IMG_3478.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 260
Is that an original 550 fender? Looks more.. dirtbike- ish. Looks cool.

Also, how did you figure the profile would match that of the 17" wheel? Determine the amount of arc per inch or something? Or is this just a "I know what im doing' type of thing lol

I made the fender.
cb360j said:
Is that an original 550 fender? Looks more.. dirtbike- ish. Looks cool.

Also, how did you figure the profile would match that of the 17" wheel? Determine the amount of arc per inch or something? Or is this just a "I know what im doing' type of thing lol

I'm making this fender. If you know the OD of your wheel (in my case it's 26"), then it's not that hard to figure out the arc of the fender.

I like the fender.

You may want to have a sit down chat with whoever welded those nuts on to the brake adapter though.
PS I know it was you ;D

Paging Doctor Levi 8)

Back
Top Bottom