DTT Barber Build 2012

Gotta watch that CO2 - I read somewhere that it doesn't mix with rubber tubes very well. I think it eats away at it over time?

Flug, what size inner tubes are you running? I have a couple spares that I don't need anymore (they were for my GS450 wheels) that you could have.

That looks great mike! I have the same irons in my kit as well. You know a nice fender bag might look pretty tits on there for your tool roll. Something like this but more style appropriate.

du4e6u3e.jpg

Kanticoy said:
That looks great mike! I have the same irons in my kit as well. You know a nice fender bag might look pretty tits on there for your tool roll. Something like this but more style appropriate.

du4e6u3e.jpg

HA! I was thinking the same thing. Strapped to the fender, on the back side though behind the forks.

Maritime said:
Ha yep. there are the little CO2 powered ones that are fast but only good till the CO2 is gone.

Yep, that's why I'm going for the pump.

Big Rich said:
Flug, what size inner tubes are you running? I have a couple spares that I don't need anymore (they were for my GS450 wheels) that you could have.

I'm not sure what size, I'd have to look at my tires when I get home. The front is 19" and the back is 18".

Kiley/Justin - I'll check that out. I've got a lot of crap in that roll and it is kinda large. My initial thought was to strap it to the frame under the right side of the seat, opposite the muffler, where I would eventually put a pannier.

Last Friday I rode up to Mr. E and Jenn's house for the beginning of the Meltdown festivities (couldn't stay due to a prior planned family camping trip). I strapped the tool roll to the frame right in front of the right rear shock with some dog collars. Seems to be a good spot. I am going to try and make some better straps out of the leftover leather.

I realized that the wiring harness cover that protects the alternator connections was up too high keeping the choke from fully opening. I thought this may be causing some of the rich/plug fouling problems at idle. So I tried my best to move it down but there are a bunch of connections right there and it is tight. (*For the literary challenged this is foreshadowing*)

I set off and made it there without too much trouble as their place is only about 45 minutes away. I took the back roads through the countryside since it was such a nice day and I wasn't in a hurry. Once I was able to cruise for awhile, the left spark plug seemed to clean up and stop missing so I hope I've got the fouling problem fixed.

E and Jenn were great hosts (she makes a mean potato salad BTW ;) ) but I had to head back home about 11:30. About 5 minutes from their house, a deer ran out in front of me a few yards ahead. Luckily it missed me and I was able to keep my pants clean but I was now wide awake. I made it to the interstate and started cruising down the road about 70 mph. I think it was 70, as my speedo light isn't working. Nobody on the interstate, and it was a beautiful night.

About 5 miles down the road, my headlight suddenly went out and I was plunged into darkness. I quickly fiddled with the headlight switch but was only able to get the high beam to come on. Though I may annoy some other drivers, at least I could see, so I rolled on. About another 5 miles down the road, I was once again plunged into darkness as the high beam went out. Messing with the switch did nothing. There wasn't much of a moon and there were no other cars going my direction so it was very difficult to see the road. The few cars that were coming the other way were causing a glare on my face shield so I had to raise it to be able to make out the lines on the road. I slowed down to maybe about 40 and rode another couple miles to the next exit with tears streaming from my eyes from the wind. I actually almost missed the exit because I couldn't really see it.

I made it to a gas station and took the headlight apart. Both high and low filaments had burned out. What are the odds? Not good. There must be another problem. My hypothesis is that in adjusting the harness cover, I might have accidentally disconnected one of the voltage regular wires, causing it to over-volt the headlight when I was at high RPMs at highway speed. I couldn't get to the connectors because the engine was too hot and I couldn't really see anyway. And of course, the gas station didn't have any headlight bulbs. I noticed another gas station on the other side of the interstate so I rode over there.... in the dark. They didn't have any H4 bulbs, but they happened to have a 7 inch sealed beam. Score! It fit perfectly into the bucket so I was back in business. I decided to take the back roads home to try and keep my RPMs down. It took awhile, but I finally made it home about 2am.

I haven't had a chance to look into the problem yet, but hopefully I get it fixed before the Thaw. Ugh, one more spare part I will need to carry with me.

Mike, I'm bringing my wiring toolbox with if it'll help...hopefully you'll have it sorted by then.

You'll find it, I am sure , I had the same thing happen to me, and it was just the vibration killing the bulbs. I rubber mounted the bucket and it stopped it. But check your wires.... I started reading this and thought oh no, he didn't crash again. Glad you made it home in one piece.

Mike

That's some shit luck for sure.
Missed you at the meltdown festivities. We got there about an hour after you left.
E, deviant, and I all said "gotta be the regulator if it blew both bulbs" haha

It's possible it was just a shit bulb but why didn't it blow before? How did both blow only when I got up to a sustained 70 mph? The thing is I didn't notice any brightness surging. I guess it could have just been too subtle for me to see it. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the regulator.

There is a thin rubber sheet between the ears and forks, but it could still be a vibration issue.

I put a 35/35 bulb in because I had been having charging issues but that was because of a disconnected wire in the bucket.

I will try and find the loose connection, but at least I have a couple weeks before the Thaw to take it out on the interstate and try and make it happen again.

May I suggest you do that in daylight, just tape a little mirror or something to show the light works while you ride and see if it pops again. you didn't touch the bulb with bare hands installing it? If you don't use gloves the oil from your fingers will cause an H4 bulb to blow in a really short time.

Well, she made it all the way to the Gorge with only a few small hiccups. It took me about 10 hours each way and a total of 817 miles. She stalled a couple times at stop lights but fired right back up. The engine started racing to about 4K rpms from idle a few times at the Gorge so I adjusted the idle down and she seemed to be fine after that.

The low beam in my new headlight went out on the way there so I just left it off most of the time. I checked the voltage when we were there and it never got above 13.5 V. So the regulator wasn't the problem. Maybe I just need some rubber damping or something. I also started looking at some of the LED H4 bulbs that are coming out but the good ones are still pretty expensive.

The 55w bulb I have in there now is too much for the charging system. I will be testing it in the next week or two, but I'm sure I'm going to need something that uses less power or face draining my battery on long trips.

I learned a little more interesting information on this trip as well. Since this tank and petcock are new to me, I didn't know how much reserve I had. So I strapped a gas can to the seat behind me and decided to just keep riding until I ran out of gas. So apparently I have to switch to reserve after about 90 miles, and then I have another 75 miles to go before I actually run out of gas. Haha! I guess my reserve tube is pretty long. After riding about 40 miles on reserve, I was a little surprised and my incredulity kept rising with every mile. I felt like Kramer driving the car around on E to see how far it would go. And of course, when I hit 60 miles on reserve is when it started raining on me.

11494-190514173045-3511999.jpeg

photo.JPG

Nice. I had bulbs blowing from vibration before too. I would say rubber mount your bucket and it might help.

I've kind of wondered about how far the reserve will go on mine for a while. I have CB tank with the same petcock. I did math the other day and figured the reserve is like a third of the tank at least, so around a gallon. That's LONG damn ways on a bike that should get 50-60 mpg.

Yes, I figured I had a lot of reserve, but not that much.

I also kept track of my mileage on the way there and I averaged 54 mpg on highways (55 mph avg) through the mountains.

This might interest you, sir:

http://stores.advmonster.com/h4-led-headlight/

$45 and no cooling fan in the headlight bucket. Glad to hear you got to enjoy the trip brother!

Thanks Rich. That looks like it may be a winner! My aftermarket bucket has a fair amount of room too.

Here is some discussion and install pics on ADVRider for those interested:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=976505

I have seen those on Advrider. I might be adding one in the very near future to the BMW.

Glad to see you putting some miles on the scoot, man!

Thought I would add some pics of some recent upgrades. I bought a front fender at the Barber Vintage Festival swap meet for $5. Cleaned it up and had some tabs added to my swing arm for a hugger rear fender setup. However, it didn't keep me as clean as I'd hoped on my recent gravel road excursions at The Spring Thaw in Kentucky. I also got some new Shinko dual sport tires (705s?).
0e10fdc49930ecb1749ef834a0d50341.jpg

ebfacc705be60f648c83b42d2f1df402.jpg

362444a8389d9a2910dba8864dd54357.jpg

END OF LINE

Back
Top Bottom