Getting an old XJ 600 Road Worthy Again

Carpy

Squirell!!
So its been close to a year now since my brother dumped his 92 Seca ii (XJ 600) in my driveway. He bought it back around '09 iirc to annoy my sis-in-law who said no more bikes after his TL 1000R wreck in '05. He found it on craigslist in Norristown. Needed a title tank seal front brakes and fork seals I believe. Was complete and running even. So he did the fork seals and pick up a new front master cylinder. That was about as far as he ever got with it. (kids, house, traded his STi for a Gixxer 1K etc.)
So fast forward to last June. My wife and I had moved into our house in May and luckily we got one with a 2 car garage :D So shortly before the move I asked him what's he plan on doing with the old Yami and he said for you it's free anyone else 500. So I said I'll take it on. Anyway enough with my boring story if you're even still awake at this point.
Here's the starting point (windshield was there just no fasteners)
IMG_20120602_182413.jpg

Some tear down
IMG_20120604_132928.jpg

IMG_20120604_132949.jpg

IMG_20120604_132908.jpg

Spare tank was included also. It needs to be sealed Kreem kit included
IMG_20120604_132856.jpg

Tank my brother unsuccessfully sealed lol
IMG_20120604_132842.jpg

Since the house projects and wedding got in the way last year (j/k) decided to go for a 20 footer appearance and get it on the road this year. I've replaced the front master cylinder and the fuel and vacuum lines already just need to take pics if you care to see that ;D
Started shining up pieces to the best of their ability for now
202.jpg

201.jpg

That's all pics for now. Do need to get mirrors for it an air filter swap the plugs finish bleeding/flushing the brakes and some other neglected maintenance on it. With a little luck should be on the road sometime this spring :D

Now we're talkin'! I got one of those. It was my son-in-law's and had been sitting a long time. Started a cafe-esque project, but got distracted by a couple of other bikes. Rusty, leaky tank and varnish-filled carbs... all-in-all, the usual stuff. I think I'll go back to it this spring. Keep us posted.

Shit never thought about checking the carbs since the tank was empty. No odors when I took the lines off though

Mine were gummed up so bad, that I broke them trying to take them apart to soak and clean. Fortunately, found another set.

20130410_181945.jpg

Got a battery for it. New pads are in on the rear need to do the front and flush and bleed both ends and get mirrors. Other than that title is the last piece of the puzzle

Threw the tank on the finish sizing lines up today and installed the battery. Said to myself its nice out lits give it a shot. Been 4 years but she fired up after a few tries

20130428_092335.jpg

20130428_150507.jpg

20130428_150449.jpg

Took the bowls off today. Found somekind of setiment or dirt in them. The pilot jet in #1 clogged and it seems like #2was partially blocked. Let them soak in some carb cleaner from about 4 o'clock on. I'll check them afterwork tomorrow. Got mirrors for it just need to mount them

That would be rust from the old tank. You'll want to run an in-line fuel filter (paper element) to save yourself the same grief later on.

Back
Top Bottom