1980 CB650 Brat/Bobber/Tracker? - First Bike, First Build

Wheels look great finished. What were your methods and paint?

Not sure if I asked. But what's your camera setup.

LBC said:
That scooter is the coolest shite I've seen in weeks.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Haha thanks, it's definitely the only one I've ever seen like it. Probably for good reason. ;D

M.B Co said:
Wheels look great finished. What were your methods and paint?

Not sure if I asked. But what's your camera setup.

I just cleaned the wheels really well, hit them with some denatured alcohol, then 2 coats of primer, and 2 coats of Rustoleum gloss black. Nothing special haha.

And I'm shooting with an original Canon 5D, and most of the time the Canon 100mm f/2.0, occasionally the 50mm f/1.8.

+1 on the wheels looking great.

I used the same method for my spoked wheels but used rustoleum satin. I used some strips of plastic cut from 2-liter bottles as rim protectors when spooning my tires on and didn't put a cratch on them. I also used lots of lube. That's just how I roll. 8)

Your photos make me wish I hadn't used my camera phone for all of mine....and that I had better lighting in my garage.

LBC said:
+1 on the wheels looking great.

Your photos make me wish I hadn't used my camera phone for all of mine....and that I had better lighting in my garage.

Ya.....I feel the same. I use my S3 for all my pictures. Using a DSLR makes build photo's just so damn good looking.

I'm glad you guys like the pictures, I always complain how shitty the light is in the garage haha.

LBC, what did you use for lube? Tire mounting paste?

Re: Re: 1980 CB650 Brat/Bobber/Tracker? - First Bike, First Build

DV2000NJ said:
I'm glad you guys like the pictures, I always complain how shitty the light is in the garage haha.

LBC, what did you use for lube? Tire mounting paste?

It's weird. I use cheap chap stick. I tried it once changing a tube on a stubborn dirtbike tire in the middle of nowhere. It was all we had and it worked.
It slick as snot, doesnt go everywhere and it fits in a tool kit as multi purpose
Lube/chapstick/emergency sun screen.;D

Got the front tire mounted tonight (with a combination of chapstick and this gel lubricant I had laying around), and got the new bars mocked up. Good news, they clear the new tank without risers!

This tire looks fucking mean on the bike. I was a little worried it would look kinda mild, but it's absolutely perfect. It looks aggressive, yet won't make people say, "Why the hell does this idiot have a dirtbike tire on a CB650?!". ;D

IMG_1288_zpsc21d3c4f.jpg

IMG_1289_zpsfb678ad8.jpg

Bars.

IMG_1292_zpsf67c17b7.jpg

And a shitty phone shot of the whole thing (didn't have the wide lens on the camera).

photo4_zpsbf3a4e84.jpg

The black wheel, aggressive tire, and superbike bars completely change the look of the bike, and I fucking love it.

Hopefully I can get the rear tire and tank mounted after work tomorrow or on Sunday, and go for a ride.

Dunlop TR91. Not cheap, but supposed to be great on road for a dual sport tire, and look awesome.

I'm really digging the bars and grips and the tire wheel combo makes her look mean as hell!

LBC said:
I'm really digging the bars and grips and the tire wheel combo makes her look mean as hell!

I love it, I just wish I could get the rear tire to seat. I've tried just about everything, and it's just leaking too much air to build any pressure. I'll probably just stop by the tire place on my way to work tomorrow and see if they can pop it on for a few bucks.

Drilled the bars and mounted the controls tonight, and I'm going to fab up a quick and dirty tank mount tomorrow night (piece of flat stock with two holes drilled in it and a nut welded on, should take all of an hour including drinking beer and getting distracted). I just want to see how these tires ride already!

Wheels and tires are on! Definitely more grip than the old dried out Metzelers. ::) They're not balanced, but I took it up to 60 mph with no vibrations, so I'd say that's good enough.

I'm going to ride to a buddy's house tomorrow night so I threw the stock tank and my temporary seat back on, but hopefully Sunday I can get the new tank mounted and get started on the seat pan.

A couple of decent pictures. Love how these tires look.

1980 Honda CB650 by Dan Valanzola, on Flickr

1980 Honda CB650 by Dan Valanzola, on Flickr

gee_tee_p said:
really digging those bars, what are they? looking for something similar for my '78 KZ650 tracker build.

These are the bars I bought.

http://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-Superbike-Handlebars-Black-110511/dp/B000KKDQXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370394820&sr=8-1&keywords=superbike+bars

Basically just your standard black Superbike bars.

No other progress on the bike since I last posted, I've got class 4 days/week and I've had to stay late at work for the last 6 days also. I did ride the bike about 80 miles between Saturday night and Sunday morning, and let me tell you, these tires are fucking awesome. The bike just feels so much more sure-footed all the time, and I'm actually comfortable really leaning into corners now.

I'm pretty sure the clutch is on its way out though. :-\

Small update, my schedule has calmed down slightly, so there should be some slow progress happening again.

I was able to get the new tank mounted last night, and traced out the shape for the seat pan. Hoping to have the seat mostly finished this week, but we'll see.

Thanks! I'm really happy with how things are starting to come together.

Picture time. The other night I made a cardboard seat pan, and traced it out on the aluminum I'm using.

photo_zps70d00934.jpg

Started off tonight by cutting out the rough shape.
IMG_1309_zps4603b1da.jpg

Started bending.
IMG_1312_zpsf589bad1.jpg

Rough shape finished, the bends still need to be perfected and the pan itself is still way too big.
IMG_1315_zps52ff6b15.jpg

IMG_1316_zps68d80ef8.jpg

Here you can see the super hi-tech tank mount (made from an old power steering bracket from my Miata ;D), and how I'm using the original front seat mount.
IMG_1317_zpsa347a13d.jpg

Front of the pan. It will be reinforced with one more layer of aluminum riveted on more than likely.
IMG_1319_zpsbff862e8.jpg

I'm taking off work tomorrow, so hopefully I can pick up some foam and finish shaping the pan.

Looks good so far! What did you use to cut the Aluminum sheet? Are you one of the lucky guys who have a band saw at home? I have to cut mine with a handsabre saw, the thicker it gets the worse it is for me to cut straight. ::)

Back
Top Bottom