New to me GR650X Tempter

Tuner Automotive

If its got a motor , I want it
First off let me say howdy from Bend Oregon.
I just purchased a non running 83 zuki GR650X Tempter.
Seems as though the starter motor will not engage the gear .
I can hear the starter spinning but no engagement.
On top of that , speedo is inop and tach needle is missing.

Will be my winter project at my euro/asian auto shop so Ill have plenty of tools at my disposal .

I happened upon this forum after doing an extensive google search for forums with GR and Tempter in there heading and body.
Seems DOT had the most hits so , here I am.

Any help will be great in getting this bike daily again.
Oh and I need to get rid of the MX handle bars ;)

Cheers.

1233605_10201222688064049_364859934_n_zps82de1b25.jpg

Welcome to DTT. The Tempters are interesting bikes. Shoot Big Rich here on the forum a PM with any ?s. He is the GR guru. Knows them better than anyone.

Father suzuki sat on a mountain top pondering the question of the gr to no avail. he then moved on to watching water ripples cause by the a morning rain....nothing. Seems the gr was doomed, the powers that be and the company know it was time to make the call. mr suzuki was scared to say the least, the last time rich was called in on a project the titan was born. and sales tripled the public demand was so great that another manufacturing plant was needed. bringing in "the rich" was not taken litely. mr suzuki had to act fast gr project was dieing on the vine. so pride was set aside and the call was made. rich anwsered to call and flights were booked. out of respect the of the rich japan haulted all other air travel to cut down on his delays. After touch down The rich and mr suzuki shook hands and walked in to a room and locked the door.days later the came out. the gr was born. pm big rich of you need anyhelp after all he was in the room when it was made

Everybody is a comedian......

But seriously man - looks like a good bike to start with. Start off by checking valve clearances, then a compression test, clean the carbs, blah blah blah. That starter problem shouldn't be too big of a deal, but definitely worth looking into of course.

And welcome to the site!

bradj - that was hilarious !

Rich , I was hoping you would jump into this thread.
Like I said before when I was perusing the net , DTT always came up with the most hits and Well , to no surprise , you were on all of them . :)
Yes , all the standard tune up scenarios will be performed Im just mostly concerned with the Tach and speedo.
Seems the tach has no needle and the speedo does not work.
Speedo could be as easy as just the cable and the tach , well Im hoping It works and I can remove the face plate and install a new needle.

Iv asked on the GSResouce forum and it seems that the GR is basically a GS for the most point.
This correct ?

It would probably be cheaper to buy an aftermarket digital speedo/tach (look at the trailtech vapor or similar) than to fix the hiy and bulky stock ones.

VonYinzer - thats what I was thinking
bradj - Yes but its actually my shops logo if you look closer at the hands of the skanker ;)

OK so help me here guys .
Im sort of a newbie to motorcycle repair so forgive my ignorance.
I have the starter out as when you push the starter button you can hear the starter spin but its not engaging.
I took it out and set it in my vice and attached my batteryt jumper to it so I could see if the starter gear would pop out to engage the ring gears on the bike.
Starter just spins .
Is a motorcycle starter like an auto starter where its suppose to eject out of the starter to engage the gear ?
If so , mine does not .
Fixes ?

Moto starters are a little different on most Japanese bikes. They don't pop out like you're talking about to engage anything like a flywheel. Good news is that your starter is working. What is most likely the scenario is that your starter clutch, which is on the crank side of the motor, is what is faulty. It's not engaging the crank to make everything spin. Basically what it does is spins the crank when the starter is running, and when the bike starts, the starter clutch disengages the crank and in return doesn't spin the starter when the motor is running. I know everyone is joking here, but as far as the specifics to this process that are particular to the GS motors I'm not certain, but you guessed it...Rich can tell you. He likes to be paid in "Tempter" based tattoos. his last one was of a fat lady hooker hanging out on a dirty street corner bent over the hood of a Caddy El Dorado. Underneath in misspelled words it said "Tha Temptah"

Excellent info .
So I need to remove the side cover of the motor then to rectify the starter clutch ?
That side would be the left side when sitting on the bike , yes ?
I can see the teeth of that gear with the starter out and it looks in good shape.

That is correct. It will be on the same side as the stator. As far as what is required to get to the starter clutch on a GR I'm not sure, but on a Honda it requires pulling the stator rotor. Shouldn't be too difficult though. Easy fix, and Rich has 347 spare ones sitting on a shelf I'm sure.

Well the dudes at GSResource have said the GR is very similar to the GS .
Found this helpful youtube video :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CGfStxPaF8

True - they only call it a GR650 because GS650 was already taken.....

Once you unbolt the left side cover and break the "seal" of the gasket, the starter clutch will probably be stuck to the side cover. It's not even pressure fit or anything - just sandwiched in a bushing between the side cover and the engine case. It might just need cleaned out (constant rinsing with cleaner and oiled), but replacements are around as well.

Oh yeah: good chance the gasket for that sidecover will become shredded apart, so have an extra one on order. Or just buy an entire gasket set if you can find it.

Big Rich said:
Oh yeah: good chance the gasket for that sidecover will become shredded apart, so have an extra one on order. Or just buy an entire gasket set if you can find it.

We all know that you've already bought up every Tempter gasket in the US and Canada. Don't be a jerk.

I played Monopoly too much as a kid......

Whaddaya say Tuner? How does $45 for a gasket sound?

:)

Tuner Automotive said:
Cant I just use some copper RTV sealant like they did in the above video or is that just ghetto ? LOL

If there was a gasket when it was new, there should be a gasket now...

VonYinzer said:
If there was a gasket when it was new, there should be a gasket now...

Especially when there are bushings propping starter clutches in place. I mean, 70s Jap bikes are built with the tolerances of a 1914 Massey Ferguson, but still....Von's right.

Back
Top Bottom