New to me GR650X Tempter

So Im in need of a throttle cable and cant seem to find any new ones online nor on ebay. Cant even find any used ones .
Can throttle cables from say GS 450/550/650 bikes work on the GR ?
Im hoping this one would work - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Pro-Throttle-Cable-Suzuki-GS-450-550-650-700-750-1000-1150-E-S-ES-M/370600843036?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D18058%26meid%3D2209575306797574276%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D8304%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D350164360294%26

Speedometer service in Portland or a similar shop in Bend can probably fix yours (what's wrong with it anyway?), but likely it will cost more than $19 to get that done.

A guy I used to work with used to buy bicycle brake cable if his throttle was bad. It's cheap and you can cut it to whatever size you need most times

Recent pic - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=628015783906354&set=a.129567290417875.10372.129399613767976&type=1&theater

So at lunch today I had a chance to mess with my bike. Got her fired up and warmed up and then shut her down.
Removed both spark plugs and added a weee bit of Seafoam to each cylinder ( i do this to cars to decarbon the combustion chambers).
Let the bike sit for 30 minutes and then fire her up and flog her till all the smoke dissapates from the tail pipe.
I do this on alot of high mileage cars.
Really helps return the fuel economy , torque and start ability of cars.
HOLY COW did it with the Tempter.
Didnt get the bike out into the parking lot in time and the shop was a riot scene of smoke! LOL

Really helped to relieve the hesitation I was getting in 1st and 2nd at mid range with part to moderate throttle!
Stoked!

God I really wanna go for a full ride on this bike and burn thru some gas but it has no turn signals are mirrors and Oregon law says you gotta have em unless its pre 73 ... buggers!
Hurry up Mr Brown.

Now to decide to keep the satin khaki or go with a different color.
PO mocked it up to look like a Aussie MP bike as after talking with a mate down under , these bikes were used by the Aussie military

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 194
IMHO, I love the military look a good olive drab paint job can give a vehicle, but that color just looks like the paint is oxidized. Like something went wrong... Its too light, needs something darker to make it seem intentional.

Here's an olive drab paint job gone right:

moto-guzzi-ntx-1.jpg

But notice how blacked out everything else is to make it work. I'm not saying army green can't work with chrome, but it tends to work better without. And the side panels are blacked out. That could be an interesting stylistic choice for the unfortunate GR side panels?

Yes its a nice color combo.
Currently I have no plans to strip the frame down and paint it and thus Im not sure I wanna get to pretty with new paint.
You know just painting the tank and pods and not doing anything else is like polishing a turd ... if you get my drift lol

My wife and friends think it looks great in khaki .
I suppose I could paint it my way and if it looks wrong it would only take alittle more prep to repaint it khaki.
Winter in Bend Oregon is cold and snowy so Ill have plenty of time to mess with combo's before its warm enough to ride again.

That's cool, I can dig it. What tires do you have on there by the way? I like the look of those. We just got our first morning of freezing in Portland this morning... Lame!

By the way, are you interested in a perfect condition stock seat? I'll be removing mine (among other parts) to do a custom seat.

Looks like I need a new tank , lol
tank_zpsf5c5e834.jpg

guess this is why the previous owner had installed a aftermarket gas cap .
I noticed a lot of red RTV around the sides and when I drained the tank , I got a glob of old RTV the size of a golf ball out !

So thanx to BigRich , I can now install a ignition switch , working instrument cluster , speedo cable and throttle cable. Still need to get a tach cable and gas tank .
Once I have a tank , Ill get the tank cleaned at the local radiator service shop and then sand blast the side panels and tank and prep for paint.

So wired in my new turns , new to me instrument cluster and ignition switch and now ..... no lights or horn. Starter still kicks over but I got no power going to anything illumintaed ! Oh great , my least favorite thing , electrical diagnostics!

Back
Top Bottom