XJ 600 51J hard cold start

GoCrazy

I've been having cold start issues with my XJ 600 cafe project. The base bike was a runner when I put it apart so I only set the valves and changed the oil. When I put the bike together after Cafe transformation, I cleaned the carbs, replaced intake boots, stock air box remained. My first start was according to the instructions I found on this forum, plus I used a starting boost after it failed to start in a third try. The bike started and warmed up nicely. My friend balanced the carbs (using electronic manometer). The problem started on the next day - After sitting in a garage ( 60F temp.), I had problems with starting the engine. At that time I thought it was cause by overflowing carbs, so I set the fuel level, but it didn't help. I The only way to start the engine is to use a start booster in spray can, crank the bike for several times. When it warms up a bit this way it finally starts. The whole time I use an external battery to have enough juice.

Yesterday, I got a compression tester and checked it with the engine cold since I could not start it. The results are - 100 PSI #1, #2, #4 and 105 PSI #3. According to the manual - it should be 154 PSI, min 142 PSI. Am I right to suspect the low compression as the main culprit here? Are there other things that may cause hard cold start?

I also checked my ignition coils - 2,3-2,4 Ohm, according to the manual - 2,8Ohm (+/- 5%).

Back
Top Bottom