Kick starter leaver not griping

revlow

I picked up a cb360 the other day the po removed the kick start leaver and was running electric start only. I'm wanting to put the leaver back on but it will not stay on, I put it on the spindle, then tighten the bolt on the leaver but it's not staying on, after one kick the leaver falls off. Now the po also painted the engine I think with spray paint of some kind (an issue for another day) the teeth of the spindle have paint on them, would that get in the way, how would I get the paint off, or are the teeth to worn
7ddbb58566b1f1c94ba788a17e46b51d.jpg
4e00b166aa31c902a8cc4d2b14d34c80.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using DO THE TON mobile app

looks like your spindle has been cut short the screw you thread n tighten up actually runs in a groove cut in the spindle shaft right were it is at the end on yours should be another / same amount of toothed spindle after the cut off part on yours not a good explanation will try to find pics to show you what I mean

Couldn't find a pic of my kick start spindle but its the same type of fitting as the brake drum spindle end heres a pic of what I am trying to explain

Attachments

• 1425395035991.jpg
    1425395035991.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 920
Yep. You'll have to replace that kick starter shaft if you want to be able to kick start.

revlow said:
Well thank you, here I was thinking I wasn't tightening it right. If anyone has a spare they want to sell shoot me a message

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CB360-HM552-KICK-START-SHAFT-/290949806010?hash=item43bdf5b7ba:g:eek:8oAAOxy7odR3wi~&vxp=mtr

I believe the CJ360 kickstart shaft fits as well and is a better design. You have to pull the motor and split the cases to replace it either way, probably just easier to keep it e-start only unless you're pulling the motor already.

adventurco said:
I believe the CJ360 kickstart shaft fits as well and is a better design. You have to pull the motor and split the cases to replace it either way, probably just easier to keep it e-start only unless you're pulling the motor already.

+1

I'm planning on putting this battery in https://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/YTZ7S.html so it would be nice to have kick start as an option, the cases have been split before, and winter is coming soon. I'm upgrading the charging system to the rr shown. Hoping that battery will be enough.

13eb530a0ae12a818d1a05f3fc56806a.jpg
7aade98f00f750697948a02cb59453e6.jpg

adventurco said:
I've never done anything like that however. Are there any special tools I'd need just to get it apart enough to replace that shaft and then put it back together.
revlow said:
Well thank you, here I was thinking I wasn't tightening it right. If anyone has a spare they want to sell shoot me a message

To split the cases you will need a 10mm and 12mm socket, a torque wrench and HT liquid gasket material for reassemby. I believe you will need a pair of snap ring pliers to remove the kickstart shaft. You'll flip the engine upside down, and remove the bottom half of the case. All the transmission gears and the crankshaft should stay in the top half, and the kickstart shaft will stay in the bottom.

You may as well replace the oil seals if you're going to split the cases.

Back
Top Bottom