1973 1/2 BMW R60/5 restoration.

I am not one to covet my neighbor's stuff, but I have to admit that your work here shorts out my jealousy switch.

Thanks fellas. I really love this bike. Today I did a little work to her. The throttle was always notchy feeling, so I took it apart today to see why. Turns out the teeth on the throttle drive cog were worn down to almost nothing so I TIG welded them back and filed them down to give it more meat. Smeared it with Moly grease and WOW what a difference. Sorry, my hands were too dirty to get a picture of that. When I was done I repurposed some random Japanese bike mirror (stock CB450 I think) and made an adapter to turn it into a poor boy's /2 mirror. I just couldn't justify spending $100+ on a single mirror. Besides, I think it looks great!

I'll try to get some riding video up soon!!!

Wow, Kiley she's a real beauty. Can't believe I just found this thread today. Now I've got to go back and read thru the whole thing.

CC

Thanks Chris! I'm happy with her. Once i got started i kept pushing. Only took 3 months which is pretty amazing. Shes down for a bit now as i had to order a new rear hub. Bearing failed and ruined the race seats in the aluminum. Disassembled the rear wheel and waiting on the hub to get here. Few hours work and she'll be rolling again. In the meantime I finished my pannier mounts. Some modification required, but all good now.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371853817285.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371853817285.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 242
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371853833389.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371853833389.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 234
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371853849349.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371853849349.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 232
  • uploadfromtaptalk1371853863118.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371853863118.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 238
Nice rack. Bet you lace that hub in record time to get back.on the road.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

You've done a beautiful job bringing this gem back to it's former glory. Did you get the rear wheel sorted? (Sorry for the 30+ day thread resurrection)

Re: Re: 1973 1/2 BMW R60/5 restoration.

kieferocks said:
You've done a beautiful job bringing this gem back to it's former glory. Did you get the rear wheel sorted? (Sorry for the 30+ day thread resurrection)

No problem man! Rear wheel sorted and first service done. She's running beautifully and has become my daily ride. Wonderful bike!

Herr she is all sorted sporting her Krausers and phone mount.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375997873084.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375997873084.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 264
Weren't you going to show the PO what it looked like when you were done? Has that happened yet?

Kanticoy said:
Not yet Mike....I need to make that happen. I think he'd appreciate her.
It will blow his mind. Yet come to think of it I think his mind has been blown for a while

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Fwiw, when I finished the GS450 I took it up to the original owner's house. He saw the 19" wheel, larger forks, and dual disc brakes w/ slotted rotors and was dumbfounded as to why I changed all of it. I think it was just a little shock at first, since he complimented all the work later.

But yeah, the PO of your BMW will be proud.

Kanticoy said:
Not yet Mike....I need to make that happen. I think he'd appreciate her.
No, No, No! If you show him how awesome it looks like now he will just charge us more $ for the next project bike we get from him.

Kanticoy said:
No problem man! Rear wheel sorted and first service done. She's running beautifully and has become my daily ride. Wonderful bike!

If you don't mind me asking...

One of my long term life goals is to buy an old BMW motorcycle and slowly restore it. I was curious about just how expensive these bikes are to rebuild/fix. I can do everything myself (aside from machining stuff) so my time is free, it would just be parts. Can you provide a half decent estimate of what you think you've invested at this point? Or even just a range? ...$3-5k? (excluding the cost of the bike itself).

Sure kiefe, I actually documented this one pretty thoroughly. I am into it right at $2200 including the bike, but i reused a whole lot of the original bike and just restored it back to original. They can get expensive, but they retain their value and are really well built. It was all about sweat equity. Luckily I have more ability and time than money, and parts are readily available for the most part.

Kanticoy said:
Sure kiefe, I actually documented this one pretty thoroughly. I am into it right at $2200 including the bike, but i reused a whole lot of the original bike and just restored it back to original. They can get expensive, but they retain their value and are really well built. It was all about sweat equity. Luckily I have more ability and time than money, and parts are readily available for the most part.

That's a whole lot cheaper than I expected. Thanks a lot for the reply and enjoy riding that beauty!

Back
Top Bottom