Rust removal project. Advice needed

XsjadoTwin

Been Around the Block
Wasnt sure where to post this so i admit to posting it twice i will remove one if a mod has a prpblem with it.

Ok so I had some light surface rust inside my tank, and since I just cleaned my carbs I wanted to take care of this tank issue. Last night I filled up the tank with apple cider vinegar and let it sit. At the same time I put an old rusty hatchet in a tub of ACVinegar as well. After 24hrs the seriously justed hatchet is completely clean, which tells me my lightly rusted tank should be fine by now.

I am going to let it site for a another 24 hours just to be sure, but I want to practice neutralizing the acid on the hatchet so I have it down when it comes time to do the tank. I know baking soda will neutralize the acid but how would I go about doing this on the inside of a gas tank?

Should I mix a ratio of baking soda to water, and swirl it around in the tank?

Or do any of you have any recommendations for neutralizing the vinegar? I'm taking the tank to be electroless nickle plated (inside and out) thursday and have to have a completely clean surface.

I just did a tank with white vinegar.........same same
24 hours later I dumped the vinegar and washed out the tank with water................dumped out as much water as i could then put an absorbent rag inside to collect the remains of the water, and then a heavy mix of 2 stroke oil and gas.........slushed it around and upside down very well. It prevented any flash rust and it was all good from there. Dumped that back in a can for the next tank, and havent had a problem since

will the 2stroke oil and gas coating be okay when going to be nickle plated? Is there any other way to neutralize the acid

Baking soda and water will neutralize the acid.
The two stroke oil is to prevent it from flash rusting as soon as it dries out.
They will do a lot of prep work like acid dipping etc if you're going to nickel plate the whole tank. There is probably no need to worry about the slight rust if that's the case.
Call your plater and ask.

SONICJK said:
They will do a lot of prep work like acid dipping etc if you're going to nickel plate the whole tank. There is probably no need to worry about the slight rust if that's the case.
Call your plater and ask.

I talked to a rep from the plating place and told her I had slight rust on the inside of the tank.she said thesurface hasd to be cclean and clear. I'm going to call back tomorrow because there is still paint on the exterior. I figured they would blast or acid dip to clean/remove anything.

SONICJK said:

So should I:
1)dump the ACVinegar
2)add my baking soda/water mixture and swish it around.
3)Empty the baking soda/water
4)Dry tank with air/towl/hair dryer
5)add gas/2stroke oil mix and swish it around
6)dump oil/gas mixture
7)???
8)take to plater?

That's exactly what I'd do after I called the plater who is very likely to tell you not to worry about it haha.

killian101 said:
this should help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBPGn595goY

I was going to do that but leaving it unattended for a few days ast a time makes me nervous. I've got pets and careless roommate's with stupid friends. I figure vinegar would work well cause I can just let it sit for a few days and do its thing. Like I said I can't get to the platers until Thursday due to my schedule so I'll probably dump and neutralize it tomorrow and swish some oil and had around in it and let it sit til Thursday

I have not... I think their site and YouTube video actually says no but I've heard different from members on here... Its fairly new and so am I to it. I think I've done about 3 tanks and a lot of other things. I've always rinsed and filled the tanks all the way up with gas right after too though... I went through a gallon already only because I used it on a tank once that I didn't realize the po had spray painted over the rust and it had heavy rust and it came off with the paint... They do state that it is safe for paint but if there is rust under the paint and the liquid can get to it, it is coming off as well... There are several other members on here that use it. They can correct any of my errors and comment to help you as well.

Well like the OP says I'm already soaking the tank in applecidar vinegar and if the hatchet is any indication of what's going on aide the tankj everything is working as planned.

My question was if a water/baking soda mixture would neutralize the acid from the vinegar and at what ratio I should use it at. And if there are any other measures I should use to temporarily seal the tank before sending it to the plater

Yes... And I definitely want to see pics of a nickel/chrome plated cb200 tank. That thing is going to be gorgeous!

I'm going with a nickle plated stock CL360 tank that im going to attempt to give a brushed look to with a scotch brite pad, then I'll clear coat that. and I'm making my seat and rear cowl from an old Yamaha tank I found at a bike yard.. Im also going to be nickle plating the seat and rear cowl. Using peanut brown leather on the seat and grips with coper badging and possibly a copper platted exhaust shield (if I can find another cl360 exhaust shields, I'd hate to ruin the perfect chrome on my original shields)

Back
Top Bottom