KZ650-beginnings of a pseudo-restore/customization

I checked into local laws about the chain guard, at the advice of hillsy, and none are required here so I began the process of cutting the mounts off. It won't reduce much weight but it'll look more streamlined. I'm limited to a Dremel tool so it's a little time consuming.

20130925_095757_zps5c57746a.jpg

I plan to keep the upper triple tree in its natural metal color, but ended up using a Lowe's off-the-shelf stripper rather than the aircraft stripper that is usually raved about, as I couldn't find it readily available. It took forever to get this far, and from the videos I've watched on the aircraft stripper, I'm definitely going that route next time!

20130925_095820_zps979a51ff.jpg

Finally completed the forks. Reassembly is a little easier with regards to the fluid because its nothing more than a measured amount, rather than having to measure the distance from the top of the fork, etc. I painted them with wheel paint, and it turned out ok, but I'm not sure how I feel about the shade of silver yet. I may change that later.

This is the front caliper, and the inside where the piston sits had a little rust. I set it upright, filled it with apple cider vinegar, and let it sit overnight. It worked pretty well as a cheap rust remover.

Back
Top Bottom