Brat / Bob

Re: Brat/ Bob

sasquach said:
I don't know if it makes a difference but I put a pig in there about 2 inches on each side of the cut . Thanks

ah righto. small lesson here, a tube is less likely to bend than a solid bar. I highly recommend at least a shallow gusset there, I'd hate to see all this beautiful work go to waste.

Brat/ Bob

n0regret5 said:
ah righto. small lesson here, a tube is less likely to bend than a solid bar. I highly recommend at least a shallow gusset there, I'd hate to see all this beautiful work go to waste.

I think you need to qualify that statement. If you have a tube and a solid bar with the same OD the solid bar is less likely to bend. I can prove it with math.

However, given the same amount of material, you can make a tube with a larger OD than a solid bar and the tube will be stronger. But that is really just because it is larger. Tubes are more efficient structurally than solid bars.

I do agree with the area of concern and think a gusset would help.

n0regret5 said:
I highly recommend at least a shallow gusset there, .

Yah I agree with ya on the small gusset after reading some stuff here and looking at it

Remember, weld your gussets in on the outside (or inside) of the tubes. Not right down the middle.

I was going to but with the suspention travel it's not going work plus I kinda like the way it looks without it .

I'd put the gussets on the inside so that they can be covered by the seat pan and still keep the clean lines.

VonYinzer said:
Remember, weld your gussets in on the outside (or inside) of the tubes. Not right down the middle.

This I did not know...
Not that I doubt you, but what is the reason?

Well, as it was explained to me, welding gussets down the center of the tubing allows the tube to flex rotationally. Welding to the side of the tube stops that, as well as keeping the tube from flexing laterally as well. Im sure theres a much more detailed (and correct) definition floating around here on DTT somewhere.

Well I think I'm pretty much done till after the new year . So far all I got to go is weld in 2 gussets under the seat , finish the seat pan , weld up the shock mounts then start looking for a small battery . I got more done in the little time than I would have ever guessed and thanks for all the good info and help from everyone so far .

Thanks Cresent . It's gonna be on hold for a little bit cause of the holidays and I need to get a chain so I can make sure it doesnt hit the shocks before I weld them in.

You'll actually have to remove a bit. Its a universal chain for farm equipment. Pretty long. Keep it greased and it works like a dream though.

Once again thanks Mike it would of been alot harder doing this without yours and others giving good advice . :)

Back
Top Bottom