GS450 "Sport" - Done!

Re: GS450 "Sport" - Success!

Had a little bit of time so I worked on the original timing cover. The original "Suzuki" logo is a metal decal, so I had to bake it in a toaster oven to break the adhesive away. Painted it with the same gold Metalcast as I did with the wheels:

Another thing: I had the stock sprockets installed (16 front, 45 rear?) and wanted to lower my highway rpm's. At 75 mph, the tach was around 7,000. I found a 17 tooth front sprocket on eBay and now the motor is around 6,000 rpm at 75mph. And another benefit, it stretched out all the gear shifts so it's more comfortable between red lights.

Need a shot from further away so I can see it with the wheels Rich!

Nice work on the gearing... but for me I like my acceleration better and our limit here is 100kph so I haven't found a need to change... except maybe shorter for even more get up and go ;)

16/39 would put your rpms around 6000 at 70mph.For future reference if you go for mileage.I am running 15/39.That's 5000rpm at 60.

Thanks Benny! Problem is, my current rear sprocket is the smallest I could find (without going custom made of course). And if I was going custom......I'd get a 520 conversion made as well. :)

Pete - a shot further away wouldn't do any good. The bike is filthy! I'll be sure to get a pic when it's clean though. The speed limit in Pennsylvania is about 100kph, but we are in a "slow" state. Everywhere else is around 120kph. And nobody here actually adheres to that speed anyway.......

Big Rich said:
Thanks Benny! Problem is, my current rear sprocket is the smallest I could find (without going custom made of course). And if I was going custom......I'd get a 520 conversion made as well. :)

Pete - a shot further away wouldn't do any good. The bike is filthy! I'll be sure to get a pic when it's clean though. The speed limit in Pennsylvania is about 100kph, but we are in a "slow" state. Everywhere else is around 120kph. And nobody here actually adheres to that speed anyway.......

I thought the 450's used the same output sprocket that the early GS500's used.

Apparently I have been far too remiss in my attention to DTT. 31 pages on a bike I didn't know you had. Huh. Must keep up.

Looks like you got the original key thingee for the security chain along with the key to the bike. That is what the Suzuki fob thing is, isn't it?

I hear ya' Rich, mine's the same... every time I wash it it rains lately so it's filthy...

Ben - I believe the output shaft is the same.....but I haven't cross referenced the part number or anything. I know the 450's use a 530 chain originally though. Which also doesn't prove much...... :)

Rook! How've ya been man? Yeah, I was going to wait til this bike was completely finished and post up the entire build on the GSResources. Getting real close now.....just need to find time to sit at the computer for that long.

Pete - since we are just entering spring time, the roads are still covered in all sorts of mud and dirt. They are getting better though with every rain we get.

Rook, I forgot to answer your question. That Suzuki fob is for the original GR650 chain lock (that nobody else seems to have).

So as some of you may have seen, I took the 450 to West Virginia yesterday. It did pretty good on the highway with the new sprocket combo. At 70mph (5 over the limit in PA, but the limit in WV) it was spinning around 6 grand. And even with the longer legs, I was still able to go faster than the speedometer allows (85mph tops). I had a bullet connection rattle loose that drained the battery (easy fix), but the exhaust was DEAFENING. So I had Troy weld in some baffles:

And the only pic with them installed (that stinger pipe was just a joke). They were welded in and I had to hit the road pronto:

While I was in WV, my new fender came in the mail. It is the same type that I have mounted now, but in much better shape. Originally I had planned on painting it red to match the future repaint on the tins, but the black paint on it now looks pretty darn good IMO:

Big Rich said:
Rook, I forgot to answer your question. That Suzuki fob is for the original GR650 chain lock (that nobody else seems to have).

Well, that makes two of us ;D Came with my bike and I have not taken it out from under the seat yet.

Aha! So there are 2 left in existence! :)

Forgot to update my exhaust work.....Took these baffles to Troy's place to have them welded in the end caps:

Sandblasted the chrome off the end caps along with any rust on the end of the baffles. Used some JB Weld to smooth out the end of the baffles:

Painted, cured, and installed (sorry, didn't take a pic of the JB Welded ends.....):

And because I was tired of the front tire soaking me with rain water......a plastic fender extension :

Dirty as heck, but installed. And the new / shiny fender has been installed as well:

And just so every knows.....it sucks getting off work at 7am after a twelve hour shift and finding ice on your seat:

Yep been there on the ice. Nice work on the pioes

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Re: GS450 "Sport" - Time for paint!

I normally just wipe off any moisture with my work shirt from the previous night....

So I'm starting to work on smoothing out the paint. First up: the quarter fairing.

I started sanding down the plastic seat edges as well tonight. If I have time, I'll get to the actual frame covers too. Since the tail section needs to be unbolted, it and the gas tank will be saved for last. So right now the bike looks ugly as sin.......but it's still getting ridden!

Re: GS450 "Sport" - Time for paint!

Haha! Oops...... Actually, I was circling little scratches and flaws in the paint when I found a chip in the fiberglass that will need filled in. Ever give an inanimate object the middle finger? Feels good.....

Back
Top Bottom