BMW r90s bitsa bomber

Thanks Tedd!

Few more stuffs happening here.

The stock under tank master cylinder has a bad reputation of sucking balls on a twin disk setup, so I scored and rebuilt a late model Magura handle bar mounted one from a late r80rt.

yga3ebu8.jpg

Also got the brackets installed for my twin plug Dynas to go under the tank. Clean.

3evebuhu.jpg

And last but not least, the Enduraspark ignition to go with the Enduralast charging system came in. It's super clean.

aryga3at.jpg

Also cleaned up the big daddy 40mm bings and got them jetted to where they should be theoretically. Not bad.

ga4uqemy.jpg

More to come fo sho.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Re: Re: BMW r90s bitsa bomber

SONIC. said:
You're really cranking this one out quick

Funny thing is that I've been pretty leisurely with it. What really holds me up is waiting on parts. The plan is to have it well broken in come spring. It'll be the official vehicle for the spring thaw.

Kanticoy said:
Funny thing is that I've been pretty leisurely with it. What really holds me up is waiting on parts. The plan is to have it well broken in come spring. It'll be the official vehicle for the spring thaw.

Should make the hill climb, uh, interesting ;D

Kanticoy said:
hacking a rare r90s, but screw it!
a. Quick ebay search turned up 2,643,230 listings for "rare". ill bet the world will still turn if you build a bike.

bradj said:
a. Quick ebay search turned up 2,643,230 listings for "rare". ill bet the world will still turn if you build a bike.

Yep, I ain't sweatin' it. Kinda feels like getting away with stealing your parents' booze when you were a kid.

That is some serious electronical gizmagical stuff right there. Tempting, but I gotta quit messing around with my bike.

Did it not come with the R90S carbs?

Tim said:
That is some serious electronical gizmagical stuff right there. Tempting, but I gotta quit messing around with my bike.

Did it not come with the R90S carbs?

It did, which I have. They however are extremely expensive to upgrade and in order to run them on the 1000cc jugs it would cost me a couple of hundred bucks. So...an ebay search later and I bought the biggest Bing's they made. Basically a bolt on. I may screw with them later, but for now, I like the lack of headache of the Bings.

Working slowly. Front end is torn off. Got new fork seals and waiting on replacement gaiters and headlight ear gaskets to put it back on. Pulled the bearings from the front wheel to replace and degreased and power washed it while it was apart. Also chipping away at the fairing. Do not put modern paint over old BMW base. They don't play well.

2a2y5amu.jpg

Should be heard now:

3a7eze3u.jpg

yge8e7ab.jpg

Took the shot of the ID badge while the forks were off.

6unu2aza.jpg

Shipped off the heads to Bombar's Beemers in Durham NC for a rebuild. Waiting on that to get back for completion of motor.

Doin' work.

Fairing done and under clear.

8yta3yqa.jpg

The touring version of a brat seat in the form of a sheepskin covered gel and memory foam pad.

yjupavyz.jpg

Forks rebuilt, new gaitors installed, triple clamp and headlight ears painted with all new rubber.

naqu5eze.jpg

And made up a set of silicone copper core plug wires with armor sheathing in the chafe zones. New ngk caps as well.

u4ase4y5.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I don't know Jared, maybe you forgot to take your vitamins?

Finished the fairing today. Added in a windscreen gasket, headlight gasket, new nylon crews to hold everything together, and the edge trim on the screen per factory spec. I am calling it done. Still waiting on my box of mounting hardware from the UK to put it in, but its good to have this project behind me. I splurged today and ordered a set of nikasil 1000cc cylinders for this puppy. The motor is going to be right now!

8y3yvapu.jpg

avedyheb.jpg

eny8emen.jpg

qavypa7y.jpg

teazer said:
That Blue is amazing. What is it?

The original BMW color was called "Azur Blue Metallic". Of course my local paint folks didn't have a code for it, so I eventually brought the tank in and had it scanned into the computer and a color made up. She did a great job and matched it spot on. It ended up being really damned close to a color that they did have called "LeMans Blau Metallic" with a little more dark blue added in.

If you want a code for it, it's

51 91 0025 919

They can mix you up a custom "not available anymore" BMW blue!

Thanks. I love the look of some of the Moto2/3 bikes and the older Movistar 500s with deep blue and yellow contrasts. I'm contemplating something similar for one of the custom GT750s I'm emptying my already slender bank account on.

I'' bookmark this page so I can find it when the weather gets back into double digits

Getting a little work done. Package still missing from Motobins in the UK, so no fairing mounting yet. I did receive my Nikasil 1000cc cylinders and new rings, so as soon as the heads make it back from the machine shop, I can finish the motor and start some wiring. Patience.

unujuvuz.jpg

te2epyze.jpg

Also intstalled a later model (1983) twin shock swing arm. They are much beefier and stiffen the rear end up considerably. I've realized that I'm taking all of the best parts from airheads over the years and building a bike with them. This makes me happy, because the point of this bike is to be a do all, go anywhere, anytime bike.

See the thickness difference compared with the old style?

e8ezavyh.jpg

Installed.

8ytuquva.jpg

Picked up some enameled BMW Motorsports emblems for the tank as well. Something a little different and looks cooler than the standard roundel to me!

ujypyjum.jpg

Back
Top Bottom