KDX 200 Project thing

Re: KDX 200 Project thing

Short answer is no... at least not safely. A longer shock would put more distance between your seat and tire, but would also put a very step angle on your swingarm, causing chain rub issues presumably, as well as take what little rake/trail you have out of the front end. I'm just guessing that that will be a quick steering little son of a gun as it is. Can't say if it's dangerous as is rake and tail wise, but I'm willing to bet it may be. Best bet in my opinion is to do a little cutting, fabing and welding and end up with what you want that "look". If you don't know a welder and fabricator, I'd say is time to make a new friend =)

CaferacerMO said:
Sorry but I do not understand what you mean by a little rake... haha! Help me out here!

Others may be able to explain this better, but there are 3 main front end/suspension dimension that play into front end setup. Rake, trail and offset. Rake is the angle of the front forks measured from perpendicular or 90 degrees from the ground. Your bike appears to have very little rake, and consequently a low amount of trail as well. Hopefully the picture below helps. Less rake and trail can mean "quicker" steering as well as more importantly, dangerous instability at higher speeds. Again, I'm not saying I know this is an issue on your bike, as I have not ridden it, but it's something that could need addressed before you end up in a tank slapper death shake on the highway.

a8abc8c414eccc0269e84fe85ae25eb4.jpg

Lol, I'm the one who posted it in that thread. I didn't hate on it, just thought at the time it looked like an unfinished idea that I didn't quite get. I rode KDX's a ton as a kid and was looking for another when I found yours dude. It's definitely a unique bike but looks like fun when you get it a bit more squared away.

Yep if you can keep it in line with what your doing and kick that rake out a tad this will be cool. Don't worry about that Super Motard stance.

KDX has treated me well in the past, I used to jump gopher mounds and little creeks with my then 3 year old sitting on the tank back in Colorado 23 years ago... He jumps shit on his own now.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Yep if you can keep it in line with what your doing and kick that rake out a tad this will be cool. Don't worry about that Super Motard stance.

This is just what I was thinking. This bike only needs the forks to be "unshortened" in order to gain rake and trail. It looks really quick steering also a little shady with that geometry.

In order to have that "sort of Motard" look, you will have to chop the frame either way. The seat currently is in a somewhat horizontal (or close to) position, and a few people already suggested additional rake, this leads you to raise the front. That would make the seat be even more horizontal and steer away from the lines you are looking for.

So first get your geometry into a zone where in theory (numbers) the bike will handle well, and when you're set, test that setup for a while until desired results, tune the bike to run good, then chop the thing, and finally go for the look.

You could take a side on view of the front forks leaning against a wall, so you can draw some lines over it in the PC, and have and idea of where your numbers are sitting, then mod the bike to have that sweet spot.

Let's see what you end up with!

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

dualero said:
This is just what I was thinking. This bike only needs the forks to be "unshortened" in order to gain rake and trail. It looks really quick steering also a little shady with that geometry.

In order to have that "sort of Motard" look, you will have to chop the frame either way. The seat currently is in a somewhat horizontal (or close to) position, and a few people already suggested additional rake, this leads you to raise the front. That would make the seat be even more horizontal and steer away from the lines you are looking for.

So first get your geometry into a zone where in theory (numbers) the bike will handle well, and when you're set, test that setup for a while until desired results, tune the bike to run good, then chop the thing, and finally go for the look.

You could take a side on view of the front forks leaning against a wall, so you can draw some lines over it in the PC, and have and idea of where your numbers are sitting, then mod the bike to have that sweet spot.

Let's see what you end up with!

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

I did notice the previous owner "shortened" the forks the short cut way by just raising them in the steering stem (for lack of better termonolgy if your following). They have about maybe just under an inch sitting above the upper triple clamp, this being said if I lowered them back down to being about flush with the upper clamp, would that help my rake? (I realize that was probably super confusing, let me know if you didn't get it because I almost confused myself)

As far as the super motard stance goes, I will address that last once everything else is squared away. Looks are cool and all but main priority is having a safe, reliable, well working machine.. I've had bikes in the past that I know corners were cut on, and I never felt safe going over 40 on them, so obviously I don't want that again.. lol

CaferacerMO said:
I did notice the previous owner "shortened" the forks the short cut way by just raising them in the steering stem (for lack of better termonolgy if your following). They have about maybe just under an inch sitting above the upper triple clamp, this being said if I lowered them back down to being about flush with the upper clamp, would that help my rake? (I realize that was probably super confusing, let me know if you didn't get it because I almost confused myself)

As far as the super motard stance goes, I will address that last once everything else is squared away. Looks are cool and all but main priority is having a safe, reliable, well working machine.. I've had bikes in the past that I know corners were cut on, and I never felt safe going over 40 on them, so obviously I don't want that again.. lol

Makes perfect sense, and yes that will help some. He most likely internally lowered them as well.

Go here and punch in the KDX and see what direct swap front ends might fit.

http://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion

Tune-A-Fish said:
Go here and punch in the KDX and see what direct swap front ends might fit.

http://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion

wow, that's actually really cool. I am impressed by that. It's also looking like basically any dirtbike front end could work too hahaha

I wish you were closer, this would of been a cool donner. Its been for sale for months. http://statesboro.craigslist.org/mcy/5358535088.html

wahvtec said:
I wish you were closer, this would of been a cool donner. Its been for sale for months. http://statesboro.craigslist.org/mcy/5358535088.html

Awh yeah that would of been nice, I could of converted to discs in the rear too which would of rocked, the braking on this thing is pretty weak at the moment, thinking I'll have to change the pads on both front and the rear.

CaferacerMO said:

Yes begin by sliding the forks as far up in the clamps as you can, even if it's only an inch of the first thing you can do. A inch will be a great difference in stance. You will notice.

As just said, those forks may also be lowered internally (I almost bet they are as they look awkwardly slammed), so you minute looking for new springs, or as you might consider, new front end.

Cheers!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The forks appear to have been lowered internally as well. I'd set em aside and use something completely different such as USD pit bike forks and triple. Play with fork options, height and axle position before you go modifying the frame rake.

If you leave the frame height where it is the donor forks will need an offset to rake it, as we know dirt bikes sit high up front with the typical 18-19 / 21 wheel tire combo, so no short fork leg will increase rake. May need to try a different wheel to get an inch or so drop out back also all balls shows many small bore (80cc) front ends fit with tapered bearing kits... a set of USD's from a little wheel KX80 might just do the trick.

No update really, although did get 1st in a bike show that I went down to with my father in law, entering his old "famous James" bike that I've been helping him work on.

Not a lot of updates!

I picked up a 1974 yamaha DT100 with my father in law that we have been doing a little "light resto" on.
Cleaning everything up, giving it a good tune up, cleaning up the brakes and the PO's stupid shit he's done to it... lol.
But besides that, that's about it.

BUT.. on to the build.
I am about to pay my dad my last payment for my spring semester of college tuition *WOOT* *WOOT* which means I can finally start buying up parts for this build because I am debt free until august.. this being said I need some guidance on some things.

I have really been debating what to do about a speedometer for this build, it came without one and I can't really just throw a cable driven one on there.
I also am going to be wiring in an ignition, because as of right now it can start without a key which scares me a little bit.

I have really been eyeing the trail tech vapor, I have seen it run a bunch of times, but I would like your guys overall thoughts, opinions, and maybe even experiences with it. If you know of something just as good that would even be cheaper let me know, I really am trying to avoid losing my ass on this thing and keeping my budget low in case I run into something unexpected!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trail-Tech-752-200-Vapor-Computer-Kit-Stealth-Black-/361145438880?hash=item5415f212a0:g:J2EAAOxywh1TAlMN&vxp=mtr

There are some nice wireless bicycle speedometers for not much money that will work fine

A phone holder and a GPS app works too

Re: KDX 200 Project thing

DohcBikes said:
There are some nice wireless bicycle speedometers for not much money that will work fine

A phone holder and a GPS app works too
I was going to run the speedometer app on my phone also, just be careful if you don't have unlimited data, I've heard it really burns through it.

Back
Top Bottom