www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Spitfire GTS  (Read 572 times)

Offline Rat_ranger

Re: Spitfire GTS
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2017, 22:22:54 »
Ah a spit6, a car triumph should have made.  I chose to go with the toyota engine mostly because I have a dislike of carbs.  Especially carbs like the SU's.  I shouldn't need to add oil to carbs, rebalance every oil change, and sometimes stop and get out to manually turn the choke off.  EFI, is surprisingly simple once you understand it.  The megasquirt I'm running was a kit, so I soldered it all together myself and learned to tune it myself.  Next up my bike will get a microsquirt.
Xs650

Offline CrabsAndCylinders

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Careful With That Axe Eugene
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2017, 00:56:15 »
GT6 was a good looking car.  There have to be better motors for that too. 

Toyota upgrade has to be a step forwards though on this one.

I agree, I especially like the later ones.  Unfortunately the engine and running gear were not up to snuff.
Lighter, Quicker, Faster.
ZX-14, 900F x 2, 1100F, R100, CBR600, SR500, GT500, RZ350, KZ1000 x 2, Moto Guzzi Lemans lll, CBX550, RD 350, 750 SOHC police special, RG250, TL1000R, GT750, KTM Super Duke 1290 R, Harris/Z-1, Norton 750 Commando, Green 77 KZ650

Offline The Limey

• Evil English Villain
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2017, 21:01:01 »
GT6 was a good looking car.  There have to be better motors for that too. 

Toyota upgrade has to be a step forwards though on this one.

I think the 2.5 6 pot from the TR6 and the big saloons wasnt too difficult a swap.  150ish brake, pretty good for nearly 50 years ago, so would be lovely in the little GT6.  Avoid the Pi injected model, which used to catch fire with alarming regularity.

Chatting to my mate Kenny today, his 'Spitfire' is actually a Spitfire body on a GT6 chassis, not a GT6 engine swap into a Spit as I'd thought.
If it ain't broke, then I haven't been hitting it hard enough.

Offline Rat_ranger

« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2017, 22:11:13 »
Fairly normal to do it that way.  The gt6 had better front brakes, and the later ones had the rotoflex rear suspension.  The 2.5 drops right in to a gt6 set up.  I think the pi had better flowing head.
Xs650

Offline hooligan998

« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2017, 00:43:40 »
Seeing this thread has me looking on CL for spitfires.  They are surprisingly affordable.  I've also been doing research about engine swaps into the spitfire.  I've had an itch to build a car, and seeing as I can no where near afford an original AC, nor even a Sunbeam, a Spitfire with a nasty engine swap may be the thing to do.

Offline Rat_ranger

« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2017, 09:31:07 »
Just make sure it isn't rusty.  Rust can cost thousands to fix.  Plus plan on swapping the rear diff, I'm pushing the limits of what it'll take with about 100rwhp.   I know the rover/buick v8 is a popular swap, more people are doing miata swaps now, 4age and t50s are getting harder to find.  Height is a definite limiting factor, the 4age clears the hood by maybe an inch. 
Xs650

Offline Redbird

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Dolor est Magister Optimus
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2017, 20:44:47 »
Nice!
My Bro had a '73 Spitfire in High School. Had alot of fun in that car. Always dreamed of building it up with a Buick turbo 6 back then, but had no knowledge/experience to make that happen. These days would be a different story though :P
When you are Dead, you don't know that you are Dead. It is difficult only for Others.

It is the same when you are Stupid.

Offline hooligan998

« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2017, 00:34:17 »
How about a 13B or even a 20B swap?  That ever been done?  Small packages capable of some pretty good hp and work well with turbos.

Offline Rat_ranger

« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2017, 08:50:45 »
Yep, a couple years ago someone did that for the grassroots motorsports challenge.  I think the main reason you don't see it much is most junkyard rotaries are junk.  Great engines, but when they break they get pricey.
Xs650