Intros!

Hi my name is Tony and I have an addiction. Sorry wrong forumn. I have been addicted to motorcycles since I was a small boy and have owned many dirt and street bikes over the years. In spite of many crashes "some serious" over the years I have never been able to break my love affair with bikes. I now have a diverse collection of bikes that include cruiser,sportbike,dualsport, and a recently aquired cx500 cafe project that I purchased from dan650plus. Dan's Yamaha and Suzuki cafe bikes have inspired me to get involved with the 'Cafe" movement. I love the look of the bikes and mostly I like the fact that each bike has the personality of its rider.

Welcome to the club Tony ! Thank you for the kind words !
That CX will be one of the best out there when you get it done.
you know that all of us in the Do The Ton Cincinnati will do all we can if you need any help with your build . Since i had a little to do with this bike
i am looking forward to seeing it when it is done. (maybe you will let me take it for a ride and crack the Ton !!! 8)

Travis here in Anderson twp. I never noticed the do the ton cinci forum...awesome! Currently Im finishing up a Yamaha TX500 cafe. I also have a Suzuki GT380 that I plan on cafe-ing and an early CB350. We will all have to arrange some kind of ride or meet this summer!

tv321406 said:
Travis here in Anderson twp. I never noticed the do the ton cinci forum...awesome! Currently Im finishing up a Yamaha TX500 cafe. I also have a Suzuki GT380 that I plan on cafe-ing and an early CB350. We will all have to arrange some kind of ride or meet this summer!

Welcome aboard! Been pretty quiet on here recently, but we do have a group set up on Facebook as well... http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_147160538675693

Hello. I'm a new rider and in the process of looking for my first bike. I love the looks of the 70's and early 80's bikes and I really like the cafe style too, which brings me here. I've been around bikes and cars my whole life, rebuilt my share of small block chevys, my dad and my brothers have always been riders, I just never made the time/money to do so myself. Now is the time.

After only reading through a couple of posts this looked like a good forum, source for information, and a place I need to be. Plus I already have a friend on here - KioskGuy, who I worked with a long time ago and haven't seen in far too long. In fact his recent posts on Facebook about his new bike reminded me to start looking again.

I'm a software developer, mostly web stuff, and about 20 miles north on town in Monroe (home of the Trader's World and the former home of Touchdown Jesus).

Thanks for the great online home and I look forward to seeing you guys and your bikes at the meetups and around town.

diggerdanh said:
Hello. I'm a new rider and in the process of looking for my first bike. I love the looks of the 70's and early 80's bikes and I really like the cafe style too, which brings me here. I've been around bikes and cars my whole life, rebuilt my share of small block chevys, my dad and my brothers have always been riders, I just never made the time/money to do so myself. Now is the time.

After only reading through a couple of posts this looked like a good forum, source for information, and a place I need to be. Plus I already have a friend on here - KioskGuy, who I worked with a long time ago and haven't seen in far too long. In fact his recent posts on Facebook about his new bike reminded me to start looking again.

I'm a software developer, mostly web stuff, and about 20 miles north on town in Monroe (home of the Trader's World and the former home of Touchdown Jesus).

Thanks for the great online home and I look forward to seeing you guys and your bikes at the meetups and around town.

Welcome aboard! Come down to Fuel Coffee some Saturday AM.

Hey lads,

Names Jon, I have been into cafe racers and the music that surrounds it for a longtime. Sadly with 3 kids $$ is tight, but I am still looking for a nice cafe project and meeting other motoheads like myself. Not very inclined mechanically but more than willing to learn. Living near Norwood at the moment.

Jonnyoutlaw, you can find some cheap bikes from time to time on CraigsList and at meetups like Mid-Ohio Vintage motorcycle days (in July). And with some help from local friends like us, we can get you back up and riding. Even if it's not your dream ride ($$$), riding with friends is the best way to be a happy soul and a happy soul is a better parent (IMHO). ;-)

Hey Kioskguy - I see 1982 CB 900c in your signature. I don't think I've heard about that one. Is that a new addition?

Since I've already found a bike (via Craigslist) I try not to keep looking, but after watching the listings every day for the last couple of months I just can't help myself - it's habit now. I keep seeing other bikes that want to come home with me! Don't tell the old lady but I think this is the start of a collection. After I get this one on the road and some modifications done I'd like to round out the collection with a smaller bike like a 250, a larger bike like a 750 or 900, and maybe even something larger like a naked Goldwing. I don't know what it is but I really like the looks of a stripped down (and mildly cafe'd) Goldwing, just something about them - probably because they look like a seat and wheels slapped onto a big old engine like one of those old Saturday morning RoadRunner cartoons with the Coyote sitting on a big rocket.

Jonnyoutlaw - some tips from my recent Craigslist experiences:

It seems like there are more buyers for vintage bikes in Cincinnati and Columbus than other places. I've seen ads posted and then closed in just a couple of hours. I went to see a bike in West Chester (literally just down the road from me) and 3 other guys showed up to look at it within 15 minutes of each other at 10:00 AM on a Thursday morning (when most people should be working!) and the seller said he had 15 people call. I missed on another bike in my own town on a Saturday morning because I didn't check the listings before my son's soccer game and by the time I got home around noon and called about it it had been sold. If you're sticking to looking in Cincinnati then you'll have to be quick - you can't wait for a day to think about it. This also makes it a seller's market - difficult to talk them down on price when they've got a dozen people calling about it.

Try checking out the motorcycle listings in the Dayton's Craigslist. I seemed to have better luck there - maybe a few less bikes but also seemed to be less buyers. Only one other person besides me called about the bike I ended up getting and the other potential buyer was trying a really lowball tactic. I was still able to talk the seller down $200 off of his $600 asking price though. And we went back and forth for a week from the time I looked at it until I bought it.

Another thing I've noticed is that prices have climbed a little in the last couple months - probably because everyone is looking for a bike now for the supposedly good weather we should have for Spring/Summer. I know of two other of my friends that are actively looking right now too. Your best bet might be to wait until late fall and save up some money - you'll probably have less bikes to pick from but you'll be able to get a better bike for your money. Of course I couldn't follow my own advice, I had to have it now :)

One final note: Hondas seem to be a prized possession in the Cincinnati area - those are the ones that seem to be going quick. If you don't "need" a Honda you might get more bike for less money and not have to act as quickly if you'll consider a Kawasaki, Suzuki or Yamaha. Of course there's a reason the Hondas are hot - lots of them made, lots of stock parts, lots of custom parts, lots of people working on them so plenty of advice available, etc.

Let us know how your hunt goes.

Hey Guys, wanted to introduce myself. I bought a basket case 72 cb350 last January and rode it stock this season. Just started in on a few light cafe mods and decided to join the boards. See you all around.

G'day Gents.

Not really a newb here. Just havent been on in a really.....reallllly long time, by the looks of the place.. WOW its changed. It was pretty smallish when i was here last.

Im based out of Dayton, work in Springboro, ride all over the place. If any of ya are ever interested in hooking up, give me a shout. When its not frosty cold evil darkness winter, Im up for riding twisties. We (myself and a few other area riders) do a lot of apex hunting in southwestern OH, and southeaster IN, head over to Brown County IN a few times a year, Kentucky, Eastern OH (OH555 "triple nickel" is AWESOME)

Good seein the place again...

slainte
Josh

Hello All, I am just starting to catch up with the local scene. I am a relatively recent transplant to the midwest, and I am originally from Maine. I now live in Anderson and my bike is a 1980 R65. I will likely be attending a few of the Fuel meetings if they are still happening when the good weather returns. Cheers,

Colbyhb

Hey y'all, I'm Elias. I started riding a few years ago when I went to the University of Tennessee. I lived 3 miles from campus through very busy roads so I bought a Yamaha scooter... Last October I bought a CX500c from a really cool guy up near Dayton. I am currently about a week away from completing the bike, though it will not be 100% [still need to paint the tank, get new gauges, new fenders, and get lights. Anyways, I think I'll be going to some of the meets Ive seen posted around, and I'm def going to the Cincinnati Cafe meet! Cant wait to see y'all there

Back
Top Bottom