Atlantic Canada

Nice the triumph that Yamaha built. Had that been a real triumph of the same generation I do not think it would have been as easy LOL

Thanks...had it painted red and silver for a few years, but I have to admit that I like blue and silver better.

andrew6v said:
Chiming in, I live in Halifax as well, and just picked up this number:

BMW.jpg

A 1978 BMW R100/7.

It runs good, but has been sitting for several years, so need to do the routine maintenance to get her running, unseize the front brake, probably rebuild the starter and flush the old gas as she's weak and doesn't start well. Going to see what I get up to with it, I'm inclined to a little cafe'ing.

Unfortunately that photo was taken yesterday, proof that we are near Halifax, with all that snow still on the ground... ::)

Andrew

Get this going yet ? I picked up a '77 R100RT over the winter too. It's road worthy, just sorting out the leaks... Planning on keeping mine original, besides the fact I took the fairing off.

Cheers,
~T

Nah not yet, readjusted the valves and torqued the head and it's still very hardstarting. The starter itself seems very weak so I picked up a new one that should hopefully arrive this week.

The expected arrival date was supposed to be tomorrow, but I don't think it's shipped yet. Unfortunately I ordered it the day of massive storms and flooding in Denver, Colorado, where it was being shipped from.. so hopefully it's not underwater.

http://kdvr.com/2015/06/12/as-soaking-storm-moves-out-flooding-concerns-begin-to-rise/

Andrew

andrew6v said:
Nah not yet, readjusted the valves and torqued the head and it's still very hardstarting. The starter itself seems very weak so I picked up a new one that should hopefully arrive this week.

The expected arrival date was supposed to be tomorrow, but I don't think it's shipped yet. Unfortunately I ordered it the day of massive storms and flooding in Denver, Colorado, where it was being shipped from.. so hopefully it's not underwater.

http://kdvr.com/2015/06/12/as-soaking-storm-moves-out-flooding-concerns-begin-to-rise/

Andrew

And we piss and moan about a little snow...
I just did the valves on mine, my first airhead, and boy was I surprised how loud they are. Good luck !
~T

goldy said:
Thanks...had it painted red and silver for a few years, but I have to admit that I like blue and silver better.

where did you get the Triumph look alike Yamaha badge

TJGM said:
And we piss and moan about a little snow...
I just did the valves on mine, my first airhead, and boy was I surprised how loud they are. Good luck !
~T

Did you check out the rocker endplay as well? They get loose and make a lot of noise, basically you are supposed to be able to barely move them, but you should not be able to hear a sound when you move them (metal on metal tink).

This guy has a lot of good videos on standard BMW airhead maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VExx_2kIc9c

Andrew

I haven't posted anything since I started working on the KZ400 that I picked up in the winter. She's up and running, some small cafe mods, rebuilt carbs, tuned, etc. Been riding it for a little over a month now and she's running great.

Next steps are to bring the gauges down closer to the headlight (which could do with going a bit lower as well....), then start cleaning up the rust.

Z2Hqrcw.jpg

Nice man, it's definitely a good start, I kind of like the Burgundy and sortof grungy (not polished up) aesthetic. I would bet that most of the original cafe racers back in the day had the same road grime/ridden not shown look.

Also has any one heard of the newish custom motorcycle shop out of Halifax, Kickmoto? I just heard about them from Allnovascotia, and I actually saw their CB550 ripping across the bridge the other day, it's definitely a sharp looking bike. Anyways I thought it was pretty cool that a cafe/brat shop has opened up in our neck of the woods.

http://www.kickmoto.ca/

Gotta share....had this out for its first shakedown ride this morning. A few minor oil leaks to look after but other than that, it seems to be running perfectly.
Rebuilt the engine and transmission for a good friend about a year and a half ago. He assembled the machine and then brought it back to me a month or so ago for me to build a wiring harness for it and go over his work to make sure it was safe to ride. Another one for the road...1958 AJS 600. :D :D :D

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    536.4 KB · Views: 287
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    518 KB · Views: 296
Hey Goldy,

I noticed in one of your posts that you live on the Peggy's Cove road? Do you live near that Oceanside Inn (or maybe a stables I can't remember)? I remember every time my Dad and I drove by a house there on the way to Peggy's Cove he'd point in and say that's where a co-worker of his lives and owns an awesome Norton Commando.

Andrew

Oceanside Inn is in Indian Harbour...that's the other side of Peggy's Cove from me. I'm in White's Lake.
There are a few other people I know who have Commandos nearby, sad thing is that they are hidden away in the garage and seldom see the light of day.

andrew6v said:
Hey Goldy,

I noticed in one of your posts that you live on the Peggy's Cove road? Do you live near that Oceanside Inn (or maybe a stables I can't remember)? I remember every time my Dad and I drove by a house there on the way to Peggy's Cove he'd point in and say that's where a co-worker of his lives and owns an awesome Norton Commando.

Andrew

A chap named Alan dropped in this morning on a '58 Triumph Thunderbird....he has a 69 Norton Commando too and he lives in Indian Harbour not too far from the Oceanside Inn. Sounds like your guy...now how's that for a coincidence?

My '77 R100 in front of a record shop in Moncton. Plan on cutting the bags and reattaching them under the seat next rainy day. And that's not my puddle of oil ;)

~T

The machine looks terrific...and the oil, it looks much too clean to come from a BMW...;D

The local Distinguished Gentleman's Ride will be head again this year in Halifax. Rendezvous point is the main parking lot at Point Pleasant Park at 10:00am on Sunday 27 September. As per the worldwide DGR standards, there will be lots of vintage bikes, scooters, cafe racers, specials etc. and riders are encouraged to dress as dapper as common sense permits. It's about raising money and awareness for prostate cancer research. Anybody who would like to tag along is welcome.

A few shots from the DGR Halifax/ Dartmouth 2015:

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 298
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 286
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 298
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 294
Darn I wish I was checking DTT a bit more often. I thought the Gentleman's ride was pretty cool but I figured it wasn't in Halifax at all for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom