turbocharged cb550 bobber

Came up with a pretty crude method of straightening the frame, but the results are measuring good. The front wheel sat about 2" to the right before due to the neck being twisted. Frame was welded to the welding table, with a center line drawn on the table. The 3 long arced wires are welded to the neck and hold a reference pointer showing where the center of front tire would be. The wrench at the far right of the pic tightens a nut on the threaded rod. Threaded rod is welded to the chain and pulls on the prybar that drops through the neck. Reinstalled the front end after, and it is centered as well as I can measure.

Attachments

• 20160122_204258_resized.jpg
    20160122_204258_resized.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 320
T-Post brace? Farmer?

If it works it works and yo get an Ataboy :eek:

P.S. ... Is your Name Policky by chance?

Cool I knew Brian most of my life from band related stuff and his kids logan and austin are good friends of mine and both have played with my brother in different bands. Stellar humans they are.

Anyway.. I spy a 1983 atc200x gas tank on the wall of the shop there, whats that all about

DohcBikes said:
Anyway.. I spy a 1983 atc200x gas tank on the wall of the shop there, whats that all about

Good eye! Got a real rough 200x in on a recent trade, not sure if it will get the love it needs from me or find a new home. Got an 84 250r from the same home that's getting built from the ground up right now. Also have a little fleet of utilities, 185, 200es, 200s, 110

And I'm guilty as charged of that farmer accusation, someone just had to see that damn fence post. Do not know of any Polickys though. I'm in North Central iowa

mswans said:
Good eye! Got a real rough 200x in on a recent trade, not sure if it will get the love it needs from me or find a new home. Got an 84 250r from the same home that's getting built from the ground up right now. Also have a little fleet of utilities, 185, 200es, 200s, 110
You should do a build thread on the air cooled R

May have to, didnt figure anyone here knew what the hell those things were. Its a pretty stock build up, and a buddy of mine is actually doing most of the work.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-17-22-21-50.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-17-22-21-50.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 314
mswans said:
May have to, didnt figure anyone here knew what the hell those things were.
Post a thread, everybody will watch it.

I have to recommend different rear tires for that project. The balloon tires are unneccessary on the R's, flatter profile tires like the quads are using these days will give you much better stability. And they look a lot better.

Still amazes me how many people really don't know what three wheelers are.

I built a custom 200x and rode it 1200 miles in 5 days through desert and mountains.

Currently building a hardtail to sell from several leftover parts, it's actually coming out pretty well I'll post a short thread on it when it's done.

My current personal 3 wheeler build is a pretty intense yamaha 225dx for hardcore trail riding.

Funny you call yours the "Death Machine" My street trike was "Wicked-X", and the 225dx is affectionately named "The Reaper". I think sinister names are a must have for 3 wheeler builds.

I've owned 7-200x' 4-225dx, they're my favorites. Ive owned, built, bought and sold or parted more models than I can remember.

DohcBikes said:
I built a custom 200x and rode it 1200 miles in 5 days through desert and mountains.
Wow, sounds like quite a venture on that x! I forgot I have a 225dx also, it was a project when I was younger. Put a 2 stroke 340 twin in it. Everything worked, but wasn't quite the powerhouse I was hoping the 340 would be. Had more fun building than riding it. Oh, and square profile tires will be on order for the 250r. came with those awful balloons.

back to the cb: did a compression test and looks like the top will be coming off! Did the test cold, but I'm guessing that shouldn't make my readings this bad. Reason #2 its coming apart: each intake runner has a 1/4" or so hole drilled into it from the outside, and plugs are JB welded in. WTF? Any ideas what would have been going on here? Looks like I'm shopping for a cylinder head.

Attachments

• Snapchat-2896701960044240931.jpg
    Snapchat-2896701960044240931.jpg
    849.9 KB · Views: 300
  • Snapchat-7737550680621012332.jpg
    Snapchat-7737550680621012332.jpg
    784.3 KB · Views: 323
Tune-A-Fish said:
U lost me right theeerrr... you went this far out on the limb and it could need a rebuild?

Hmmm.

Not expecting this to be a major setback; hoping I'll be back in business with an ebay head, valve lap, cylinder hone, and a set of rings. Eagerly waiting for the arrival of my clymer manual!

Cool Beans mang!!

Manual:
http://www.dotheton.com/downloads/CB500-550_Manual.pdf

Parts:
http://www.dotheton.com/downloads/CB550_Parts.pdf

you might want to look into a real good headgasket

http://www.dynomanperformance.com/engine/gaskets-cometic.html#cb550

and some arp fasteners to keep the lid down when it starts puffing hard

Those head gaskets do look nice. trying to decide if one is in the budget along with arp studs, those would be great too. Also debating whether or not to double up the base gaskets to lower compression. Working on figuring out the base gasket thickness to calculate a new compression ratio.

Don't want to get into a huge debate, but you don't need ARP... studs, find a set of stock studs if you need them.

mswans said:
Those head gaskets do look nice. trying to decide if one is in the budget along with arp studs, those would be great too. Also debating whether or not to double up the base gaskets to lower compression. Working on figuring out the base gasket thickness to calculate a new compression ratio.
You'll lower it about a half a point. Doubling gaskets doubles the possibility for leaks. You may also run into cam chain length and timing issues.

This if perfect.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Honda-Cylinder-Head-Gasket-CB500-12251-323-000-NEW-NOS-/321873182263?hash=item4af122fe37:g:j7QAAOxymnFSDkOh&vxp=mtr

Back
Top Bottom