64 Triumph Trophy Bobber (Now FS)

Re: WTF did I get myself into 64 Triumph Trophy Bobber

hossler said:
Where did you get your turn signals? I'd love to get a pair and stop having to use my arms. Those look pretty rad

I got them off the EBay, they are vintage BMW knockoffs. Only people that seem to carry them are over in Europe.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=191580786813&globalID=EBAY-US

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it back, somehow the cog that moves the gears got 180. Works now, rode it a little bit today and it's a fun ride. Did find out the stator is bad, only pushing 4v at 1000 rpm. It's enough to run the headlight and tail light but short of powering the turn signals. I'll have to buy a new one and put it in. Always something.

How do you know the Stator is the problem?

These parts are all involved in producing 12V plus...

Alternator Stator - windings can fail, pigtail can be frayed leaving only a few strands of copper
Alternator Rotor - Low magnetism will produce low voltage
Regulator / zener diode - can fail causing voltage loss then/and/or no output
Rectifier (diode bridge) - can begin to fail producing low /stray/fluctuating voltage till it fails

Many alternators have modern solid state regulator/rectifiers that can slowly fail as well.

Bad grounds can produce low voltage output or cause restricted flow to the battery

Loose connections at the ammeter can result in low battery charge

The only way to pinpoint an alternator stator failure is to properly test it with a good multimeter.

Otherwise, you are throwing away money.

JSJamboree said:
...somehow the cog that moves the gears got 180...

That "butterfly" gear that rotates the selector camplate CANNOT be installed 180 degrees off. The teeth on either end are totally different, and the opposite sides are completely different lengths from the centerline of the pivot spindle; lastly, you cannot flip it over (rotate it while looking straight at it), as it is shouldered, and will not align with the camplate gear teeth at all. It PHYSICALLY CANNOT be installed 180 degrees off.

The only way to get the problem you had is by failing to properly align (index) it as you install the inner tranny cover, as I stated previously.

If the same guy that's telling you is was "off 180", is also telling you your charging problem is the stator, you'd better get a second opinion.

WTF did I get myself into 64 Triumph Trophy Bobber

The stator I measured with a multi meter at the pigtail which is about 7" from the stator itself. I measured the voltage coming off each lead, which was ~2v each. I had measured it out of my reg/rec (modern, brand new) and it was showing 4v which checks out. I did read today the best way to check is to put the meter in both leads so I plan to do that tomorrow. The motor tests good ground but I can run another ground wire to it just to make sure. The rotor was magnetic when it was sitting in my box of parts, but I don't really know how to go about checking for proper magnetism. On a multi phase regulator you can check ohm rating between all the leads to ensure they are all close, with a single phase is there another way to check other than just a voltage reading directly off the stator? Also, I'm running total loss, there is no battery. Magneto is running the plugs.

As for the cam plate, he said that he checked it by rotating the crank and moving the selector and it shifted when he put it together originally, said it must have somehow 'popped' 180 out. He wasn't sure how it was possible either but said it was and he had to take all the gears out and put them all back in to align. I don't know shit about the old triumph trannys and hope to not have to learn a whole lot.

Old Lucas alternators typically need to turn near 2,000 RPM to produce close to a full 12 volts.

If you can't pick up your rotor with a crescent wrench handle stuck to it, it's too weak.

Nothing more to say on the tranny being "180 out".

The bike is rideable, that's the main thing at this point.

grandpaul said:
Old Lucas alternators typically need to turn near 2,000 RPM to produce close to a full 12 volts.

If you can't pick up your rotor with a crescent wrench handle stuck to it, it's too weak.

So today I checked running each lead out of the stator to the voltmeter and it read 16v, I was looking at this site which makes that seam low, however, its my understanding triump stators are 10amp and that site doesn't go that low.

http://cycleelectricinc.com/Diegnosing%20Alternators.htm

I went ahead and swapped out both the stator and magnet with another one to test. After, all my readings came out the same.

Each of the leads individually, grounding to the motor show 2.4v
If I stick both leads into my multi-meter it reads 16v
Reading the voltage out of the reg/rec it reads ~4.6v which would make since with the two 2.4v inputs but doesn't make since with the 16v reading.

So, now im not sure whats next, another bad stator, bad reg/rec (this one is brand new, but it is a generic single phase from china), do I need to run a newer high output stator for what im trying to do? Do I need to run a cap? I wouldn't think so to either last two but maybe im wrong.

Voltage coming out of the ALTERNATOR is AC (Alternating Current). Voltage coming out of the RECTIFIER is DC (Direct Current, rectified [converted] by a diode bridge). So, you cannot add the two AC voltages together and have it equal X DC volts.

I concur. Those 16V you get between the legs are AC. Is that reading at idle? Is this a two phase alternator?

If you're getting 16V at idle going into the R/R it should be shedding the 4 excess volts to keep the system around 12V. I think I would suspect the R/R.

Put a new podtronics reg/rec/cap and some LEDs. Still doesn't really run the turns at idle but with a little throttle they kick right on. This is likely it without upgrading to a 16a stator or running a battery

Alright, the bike is officially done, everything has been worked out and Ive got it out on the road. That also means its for sale, got to much money into this bike and it took alot longer (motor builder had it for 10 months) that I thought. If it doesn't sell right away I wont be too sad, its actually a blast to ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK-drvIH51A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9RrKIQh16E

Attachments

• IMG_5153.JPG
    IMG_5153.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 340
  • IMG_5155.JPG
    IMG_5155.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 323
  • IMG_5156.JPG
    IMG_5156.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 334
  • IMG_5158.JPG
    IMG_5158.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 305
  • IMG_5154.JPG
    IMG_5154.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 326

Mighty fine looking bobber.

...and it literally bobs!

Love it, man. Very cool, indeed.

love the paint, very subtle.

canyoncarver said:
Beauty. A keeper. ;)

For anyone maybe interested, here is the C-List add. Didn't really figure this was the group that would be interested in buying it but a few people have messaged me.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/5208391511.html

Most of the Indy crew took it for a spin yesterday and it was a blast. Really is a cool bike, just dont have the Time, Money, or space to keep it.

Good write-up on the CL advert, half the customs are written up by people that haven't got the first clue.

Also a fair price.

VERY fair.

Did the overhaul shop include any kind of warranty? If so, you want to put that in the ad.

grandpaul said:
Good write-up on the CL advert, half the customs are written up by people that haven't got the first clue.

Also a fair price.

VERY fair.

Did the overhaul shop include any kind of warranty? If so, you want to put that in the ad.

There really isn't any 'official' warranty with it, the guy that runs the shop is an old 1%er and has been working on brit bikes for 30+ years. I have a receipt and a 'if you have issues let me know and i'll make it right' handshake. Something i'll pass on, but not something really ad worthy.

Back
Top Bottom