www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Introducing the Sparck Moto FB-11  (Read 24019 times)

Offline Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
Re: Introducing the Sparck Moto FB-11
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2014, 23:26:28 »
Well I knew the length of the wire makes a difference, but I didn't think it would make that much of a difference on these short runs.  But I suppose every watt counts!
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."

Online Sonreir™

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2014, 00:50:18 »
The switches have a much greater impact than the wires, in practice, but it all adds up.

Lets say you're running a headlight with a high beam resistance of 3.5Ω...  At 14V that works out to 4A, or 56W.

Same headlight, but now we add only .7Ω for resistance of wire and switches.  Our voltage regulator is still keeping us at a steady 14V, so when resistance increases, it's Amps and Wattage that drops.

I = V / R.

Down to 3.3A now and that puts us close to 47W.  Lost 10W due to resistance.

And I don't think that .7Ω number is unrealistic for a standard setup, either.  I just measured a few wires, connections, and switches.  The switches I have in stock are adding about .2Ω per switch and each crimped connection is adding about .03Ω.  When you consider that most stock setups take the flow of current through the ignition switch, fusebox (twice), and several connectors, a straight shot from a relay is looking better and better.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline eyhonda

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2014, 00:54:56 »
Nice intro, Matt!  Much cost savings can be realized by not populating the full board.   As an idea, you can offer different levels/versions off the same PCB.   If you only want one switched relay circuit, offer a version without the other two relays and fuse sockets inserted.   As a correction, there are five ground taps not four (unless one is used for the off board relay).    Some of the smaller singles may only need a fourth of the capability.   Granted it will still be the same size for a base version, but the price can be lower.   Maybe set up 3 or 4 levels of build, based on the number of switched relays.    But at first we really need to beta test these parts to check current handling and overall reliability.   The components are already automotive spec'd.   It is the board that I designed that needs to be field tested before production release.    It sounds like we have a few willing testers though!

Edit:
Just to add to Matt's response on current draw and voltage drops.   The worst voltage drops/high resistance points are those old bullet connectors.   Any place with a loose connector will have a big resistance that increases voltage drop with current.  Off the top of my head, the on board relays have a 150 ohm coil that only draws 80 ma thru your switch.   If your battery is at 14 v, add up all the voltage drops and you are likely to be in the 11 volt range to your headlight.  With a relay circuit, it will drop much much less.
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2014, 01:04:34 by eyhonda »
90 RC31 Hawk, parts collection phase.
72 CB175, cafe project.
15 CBR300r, tri-color.  My new daily ride.

Online Sonreir™

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #18 on: Mar 29, 2014, 01:01:02 »
As a correction, there are five ground taps not four (unless one is used for the off board relay).

Counting is hard...  :P

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

Offline Keiff Hardcore

• Loves anything that burns oil
« Reply #19 on: Mar 29, 2014, 01:21:50 »
yes, all those little bastards add up.

i honestly dont get why there are so many dedicated grounds on bikes. it seams wasteful.

oh and it would be realy cool if you did a DIY kit that included wiring and maybe a few other bits so the entire conversion could be done with one purchase.

Online irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #20 on: Mar 29, 2014, 01:49:34 »
It would seem that cleaning up the wiring with a system like this will also improve connections. Old, bent, loose or corroded stock connectors, can produce heat that also increases resistance.  Clean, efficient wiring has no faults.

Offline Rich Ard

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • doin' the backstroke in an estrogen ocean
Introducing the Sparck Moto FB-11
« Reply #21 on: Mar 29, 2014, 14:15:34 »
I haven't put the harness back on my Viragostrosity yet either, and will be doing so in the next month or so. Would definitely be in for the cost of testing.
unplug the connectors from the harness and multimeter the shit out of them

Bad Points, a comic :: CB450 Restomod (sold) :: Viragostrosity :: GL1000 daily rider :: Kaw 175

Offline Mydlyfkryzis

• 当有疑问时踢你的敌人在生殖器上,你可以道歉后
    • CB360 Build
« Reply #22 on: Mar 29, 2014, 21:50:48 »
I haven't put the harness back on my Viragostrosity yet either, and will be doing so in the next month or so. Would definitely be in for the cost of testing.

Remember, the gray wire with the white stripe is not the same as the gray wire with the white stripe.  Also, the gray wires are ground, but not the gray wires. 

I know why you would never pass the bomb squad disarming test.....

Wiring must be one of the most challenging aspects....
There are 10 kinds of people, those who know binary and those who don't
Ignorance is bliss....and there are a lot of happy people out there!
AlphaDogChoppers: "A friend of mine once said, "There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots."
"if you need a hammer to do something...  you are probably doing it wrong" - LazloH

DTT Blue CB360 Club - We discriminate!
Mydlyfkryzis = Mid Life Crisis
------------------------------------------
1991 Honda Nighthawk 750
1976 Honda CB360t
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41649.new#new

Offline Rich Ard

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • doin' the backstroke in an estrogen ocean
Introducing the Sparck Moto FB-11
« Reply #23 on: Mar 29, 2014, 21:52:02 »
No problem at all. I just stop when the fire gets too hot.
unplug the connectors from the harness and multimeter the shit out of them

Bad Points, a comic :: CB450 Restomod (sold) :: Viragostrosity :: GL1000 daily rider :: Kaw 175

Offline Mydlyfkryzis

• 当有疑问时踢你的敌人在生殖器上,你可以道歉后
    • CB360 Build
« Reply #24 on: Mar 29, 2014, 23:36:46 »
No problem at all. I just stop when the fire gets too hot.
Ha!! ;D
There are 10 kinds of people, those who know binary and those who don't
Ignorance is bliss....and there are a lot of happy people out there!
AlphaDogChoppers: "A friend of mine once said, "There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots."
"if you need a hammer to do something...  you are probably doing it wrong" - LazloH

DTT Blue CB360 Club - We discriminate!
Mydlyfkryzis = Mid Life Crisis
------------------------------------------
1991 Honda Nighthawk 750
1976 Honda CB360t
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41649.new#new

Offline coalnation

• Live long and prosper.
    • Barrier Islands Blasting
« Reply #25 on: Mar 29, 2014, 23:48:52 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome. "
-Steve Zissou

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #26 on: Mar 29, 2014, 23:54:50 »
Sonreir and eyhonda, this is seriously cool.  Put me down for one when ready.  I'm interested in what sort of cases you'll have also.  Will the onboard relays be replaceable ?
--
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
The Shovelhead springer chopper
A bunch of KZ's...some Suzukis', and a disassembled CB550
--

Online Sonreir™

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #27 on: Mar 30, 2014, 01:29:18 »
Sonreir and eyhonda, this is seriously cool.  Put me down for one when ready.  I'm interested in what sort of cases you'll have also.  Will the onboard relays be replaceable ?

Not easily, no.  Relays have a pretty long life though.

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

Offline Ellwood

• Vintage person on vintage bikes...
« Reply #28 on: Mar 30, 2014, 03:52:37 »
I would be in on one of these also. The kit with some wire would be great too... Sourcing out all the little stuff zaps what's left of my brain. And as a man I get tired fast when shopping.
Adult onset Attention Deficit Disorder is my cross to bare....

Offline AgentX

« Reply #29 on: Apr 01, 2014, 00:46:01 »
Sonreir,

So the off-board relay, run by your key switch or toggle or RFID or whatever, controls the power main from the battery to the switched circuits, and a separate lead from the battery supplies the always-powered circuits? 

This looks awesome!!
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2014, 00:48:05 by AgentX »
"What's the use of having a motorcycle if you can't go tearing around staying out late?" Ralph asked reasonably.