Maladept's Ace

Maladept

Hi All

New to the forum and considering my recent purchase, this seemed to be the place to introduce myself...

I took my CBT (for a second time after the old one expired - long story) on April 26, with the intention of going straight on to do the training and get a 'big' bike.

At the end of the day, I had a CBT and the realisation that I needed to spend a bit of time actually learning to ride before making the step up, so the decision to purchase a 125 was made and I headed off to eBay.

A matter of minutes later and I suddenly knew what a Skyteam Ace 125 was, and after some google searches and reading various recommendations, I simply had to have one - nothing else would suffice.

Fast forward a week to last Saturday and I committed to the purchase of a brand new Ace in black over a red frame, I pick her up next weekend 8)

Already this forum has proven an excellent resource, and played no small part in my buying decision. Looking forward to some good times on the road and here as I learn to ride, and maintain, my new addiction.

Can anyone point me towards a suitable insurance company? Maybe should have considered that earlier, but you know how it is... :D

Thanks

Adam

Re: New Rider, New Ace

Hi Adam,

Welcome to the Ace club, and I'm sure that it will be a very rewarding experience for you. Have been biking myself for over 24 years and I can honestly say that the Ace is the bike that has given me an immense amount of riding and ownership pleasure, more so than even some of the litre sports-bikes that I've owned.

Besides the attention it gets, it is a fantastic handling bike (Especially on decent tyres) and it will help you improve your riding technique whilst not having to go at silly speeds!

Insurance wise, it should not be too difficult as the Ace is a relative low cost / low horsepower model. I currently insure mine on a multi bike policy thru' Swintons - I pay approximately £50.00 for the Ace and £100.00 for my TRX850 fully comp (Mine you I am 50 yr old fart now!)

[pic][/pic]

[pic][pic]

Nice, looking forward to what mods you might do. :)

I also have the same combo of the ace125 + trx850 :)

Excellent combo - Stevodude!! Both bikes compliment each other, and both will be long term keepers. I had a recent demo on a Yamaha MT-09, and whilst it impressed with with it's engine and handling, I would rather keep the TRX.

With the Ace, one of it's main attractions has been the ability to modify and personalize it, and judging from the Ace owners spreadsheet, it seems very few owners keep them stock. Mind you, the engine performance of the std. Ace out of the box is pretty rubbish!

Thanks, hadn't considered Swintons, will give them a call tomorrow :D

I'm no 'yoof' myself, recently turned 45 and in fact did my CBT with my son who will be running a Hyosung GT 125 R

I already have a list of improvements to work through, looking forward to that almost as much as getting some miles under my wheels 8)

Adam

Welcome to the group.

Almost pressed the button on buying my one, will be black frame, black engine, silver tank.

I have added a row for you on the spreadsheet, you in the UK?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al1LNMJQkZqydE1YZHVpV2RoOGJQVmpkT1ZKMVozSlE#gid=0

Do keep us posted on your mods.

Richard

G'day Adam!

The 'Ace' is a ridiculous amount of fun, both in the riding and the fettling!

A word of warning about riding the 'Ace: when planning a trip don't forget to factor in the time that is spent talking to the curious, both bike riders and others.

Crazy

Hi Adam and welcome along , I recognise your research and thought that went into your purchase ;) - Ebay was responsible for my spur of the moment purchase of an Ace too ! I am yet another oldie but the Ace is really great fun without the need ( or chance!) to go fast - good choice . Look forward to your pics , where's the bike coming from ?

Hello me dears.

Just a thought on insurance-mine is insured with the NFU, seemed a very good price to me.

Enjoy summer.

Got insurance through Bikesure, they had the best price, and as part of Adrian Flux took less time to get to an actual quote because they insure my car :D

My Ace is coming from Frank Shepherd in Lancaster, I live a few miles up the road in Whitehaven (will add my details to the map at some point).

Now begins the wait till Saturday and my first ride out 8)

Well somewhat later in May than I'd anticipated I finally got to take out my Ace 8)

Just a 5 mile trip round the block but worth the wait ;D

First impressions are I have a lot to learn about riding a bike :-[ and that she'll be a lot of fun once I have more than a vague idea of what I'm doing...

Also, 30 mph feels a lot faster when you don't have a cage round you :eek:

Added another 22 kilometres (just shy of 14 miles) today, making use of the large number of back roads near my home :)

Reached the dizzying heights of 50 mph today too!

The 303 kit makes a huge difference, even without changing the rear sprocket - once I got her to start of course ::)

The suspension is too soft for my ample frame, bottomed out a couple of times, so OO Racing will be getting more of my money this week ;D

Other than that, I'm having fun and slowly learning how to ride, which is what it's all about 8)

Pics soon, once I've worked that out...

Adam

"How to ride a motorcycle" by Pat Hahn is a good read if your library has it. Wish I had read it when I learnt to ride 40 years ago. Only habit I have that differs from his is to combine engine braking with normal braking when coming to a stop. He pulls in the clutch once and taps down through gears while using brakes only to slow down. Both ways work fine but personally I like to have the engine engaged as much as possible in case I need it.

Time for an update on my Ace, she's evolving and developing, almost as much as my riding ability 8)

2b, I went out and bought a copy of How To Ride a Motorcycle - it's been invaluable, and my son will also appreciate it when he gets his Hyosung GTR125 back on the road. it's a great book.

Since I fitted the OO Racing 303 kit (minus rear sprocket), bar end mirrors have been fitted as the OEM ones were as good as useless and Michelin M45s have found their way onto the rims.

Changing the tyres cured the 'bounce' I was getting and she feels much better on the road now.

AS I live in the Lake District area of the UK, I've travelled to the two nearest lakes so far this weekend and this has led to yet another purchase: New rear shocks and an upgrade kit for the fronts from OO Racing as the stock fittings were bottoming out all over the place on the poor B and C roads I was using.

Pic from today at Wastwater, where two French Gentlemen in convertible Porsches complimented my ride ;D I'm not ashamed to say I blushed a little.

TNpptgW.jpg

I too live in the UK and the lakes are a real good area for riding a M/C.
Stunning photo by the way, it's usually dull when I go.

Great photo. Going up one tooth on the front cog and an exhaust mod will gain you 15 mph( remove cat converters or stainless front pipe and different muffler) small result from egr valve removal . 150 kit makes some change too. Enjoy your bike and get used to all the compliments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Changing the front cog and the exhaust are next on the list, OO Racing will be taking even more of my money in the next few weeks :D

Today I plan on visiting at least one more local lake and simply enjoying the ride, I blame all of you here for the fun I'm having on this great little bike :D

stroker crazy said:
It's hard to get any modifications done because I'm too busy riding!

Crazy

Once I've got the suspension and exhaust fettled, that should keep me happy for a while, I did manage over 200 kilometres this weekend touring a few of the local attractions though 8)

The brakes, bars, headlight, air filter, rev counter etc can all wait ;D

Back
Top Bottom