Maladept's Ace

Re: New Rider, New Ace

Small update - Minor goal achieved: 1600Km or in old money, 1,000 miles under my tyres

sLEvD68.jpg

Got another couple of hundred Ks in since the photo

Moody cloud photo

dkhGnwE.jpg

I'm a bit skeptical of the stats shown on this one frankly, but posting it anyway...

d5F5dgc.png

Pirelli Diablo app, almost reached the speed limit on the local bypass there 8)

Yesterday saw the third headlight replacement in my Ace - lasted somewhere between 15 and 30 miles before blowing...

When I disassembled everything, even the bulb holder had melted - which was a worry
tubCmDi.jpg

Not to worry though, as I had purchased this:
D3gPPH4.jpg

Taiwan Not Chinese Copy, I'm sure I've seen this before somewhere?

Fitted yesterday, and it's HUGE but I like it
aAHUu7X.jpg

My indicators need work now though, looking a little boss eyed
KUIfBo3.jpg

The most important thing is that people can see me coming, the nights are closing in here in the UK - as long as the new unit ends this blowing headlight issue of course ::)

Finally got rid of the factory exhaust, and what a difference!

M74aM9T.jpg

Coupled it with some Ramair foam in place of the stock filter and took her for a spin. Not given her the full beans yet but I saw an indicated 50 in third, so you could say she's a bit quicker ;D

The downside is the volume, eBay muffler on an OO Racing header pipe is far from quiet...

They say loud pipes save lives - if I go to work on this Monday morning at 6am, the neighbours might actually kill me.

bit of steel wool in tomorrow until I can Magyver a better solution I think

coyote13 said:
Hell with the neighbors, get a video up of that thing STAT!

Purchased a GoPro especially for this ;D

http://youtu.be/tjWniRFMIPY

Free decibel meter on my iPhone tags it at over 100 decibels, small amount of steel wool has reduced it to under 90 - not sure what is considered acceptable socially, although I'm happy with under 90 myself for now

DONT use steel wool. Have you seen how flammable that stuff is? Get some ceramic fibre from eBay or auto shop. Much safer.

Headlight looks boss though. Stock light is near on useless. I also have a larger headlight and it doesn't look out of place.

I've used steel wool in exhaust before, and it worked fine, but is definitely a temporary solution. It burns off and disintegrates slowly, and could potentially ignite if your bike runs hot (unverified)

Sorry, i don't want to sound rude, but I didn't know this was a debate if steel wool is flammable or if you should use it as sound deadiner in mufflers. Put a lighter to some steel wool, then tell me it's safe. Sure use it, but why do things twice? My mantra is do it right the first time.

Not debating that it's flammable, just telling what I've experienced. Thought that's what's we're here for.

Sometimes money is tight and you already have steel wool under the sink and you're sick of waking up your neighbors every morning

Under 90 probably ok, most phone mic's only go to around 90db anyway

Sorry but I have to debate the issue with the other poster about using steel wool in an exhaust, and I won't say any more on the subject, apart from, that I hope someone will listen and do the right things when they work on their own vehicle.

/begin rant/

Steel wool that will last about 3 days = $3, bits of flaming steel flying out of the exhausts into the face of the motorcyclist behind you = Priceless.

$20 worth of ceramic fiber from the shop that will last 3-5 years is much better value, and that's what it's designed for , ie it isn't a fire risk.

There should absolutely NO reason to use steel wool, none, it's just a dodgy fix. You are better of leaving it loud until you get the proper material.

It's like putting eggs in a radiator to stop it leaking, banana's in the transmission to quieten the dodgy gear box before you sell it... It's just the wrong thing to do.

If you are selling the bike today,and want it to be quieter... It might save you $20, but it leaves the dangerous safety issue to the person you sell the vehicle to.

If you'r keeping the bike, take the extra time to get the right material and do the job properly, not a half baked "that's good enough".

Anyone who says that it is ok, then they are wrong, because it is not ok. Do a proper job, or leave it for the professionals.

/rant over/ :)

Probably sounds angry, but it's not. I just want to say that if you are working on your own vehicles, then you should do the job like you are a professional. I know my bikes are done to the BEST that I can do, and that if I pass a vehicle on to someone else, I know there is nothing I have done that could cause any harm to the buyer.

stevodude said:
I just want to say that if you are working on your own vehicles, then you should do the job like you are a professional. I know my bikes are done to the BEST that I can do, and that if I pass a vehicle on to someone else, I know there is nothing I have done that could cause any harm to the buyer.

Sounds reasonable to me!

Crazy

I have no problem with being offered advice, educated or helped by anyone.

I'm a complete novice on two wheels, and on reflection I'll be looking for a better, engineered, solution to the noise.

My neighbours will have to accept a bit of noise in the meantime...

Again, thanks for all the advice :)

Update: Having actually read Stevodude's 'exhaust and muffler' thread I've got a baffle and some proper packing material coming from eBay.

Took off the silencer and pulled out the steel wool and it was already burning away, just from firing up the bike to measure the volume - learned something today, steel can burn :-[

plagrone said:
http://peninsulaclarion.com/stories/090309/new_487159885.shtml :-X

YouTube clip of a "prepper" using steel wool and a 9V battery to start a fire...

http://youtu.be/L_BjutFAVyE

Trying to move on a bit ::), anyone recommend a gopro mount? The handlebar one I have won't work with the Ace' bars.

Small update on my exhaust.

After a couple of weekends of using and making further changes, I think I'm finally happy with it.

I've fitted a proper baffle and fibreglass sound deadening in the body of the silence. which reduced the noise some, but also meant the silencer didn't fit on the header up to the wrap or the available mounting points.

I had a length cut off so the whole thing fitted to mu liking but it was still far too loud for my liking...

More reading about the cone at the end saw my slipping the leftover header pipe into the opening (so to speak) and immediately the 'boominess' was gone as well as being a little quieter. It's like that spare length of pipe was meant to go in there 8)

Today I made that fix permanent, as well as packing the hollow area of the cone with leftover fibreglass to cut down any resonance from that part of the exhaust.

I'm pretty pleased with it now, and not a bit of steel wool in sight

Have a clip, my camera work is no better though, sorry.

http://youtu.be/3LTGYsHvvzg

Tiny - and possibly long overdue update on my bike.

Over Christmas/New Year I replaced the indicators with LED units, removed the rear mudguard/fender and mounted a tail tidy intended for a Yamaha YZF R125 as I thought it might be a good fit, and included indicator mounts.

I like the look of no mudguard, but the pushed out indicators and the rest I'm not so sure of now it's done...

Once the weather warms up, I'll redo it with a smaller tidy and mount the indicators back in the stock position, as well as fitting a neater tail light in place of the cut down factory unit 8)

The box strapped to my tank in the (potato quality)picture has my new Alt Berg boots in fresh from the local post office - I've been using the bike as my daily and leaving the car at home for the last 2 weeks to keep working on my skills as I'm booked in for my Mod 1 test next month, on the way to a full licence by the summer if all goes as planned.

Going to be moving to a place with a garage soon too, a winter outside in the UK has not been kind on the old girl.

I'm also toying with a 250 swap as soon as I have the test pass documents in hand - or a local CB750 that's for sale. Tough decision, part of me says "Why not Both?"

F5sxNsN.jpg

(She needs a damn good clean as well, but it's so cold out there...)

I really wish these were sold in sweden! Am so damn curious as to the rave about this, this is a chinese retro-styled 125cc bike right?

Back
Top Bottom