Tie downs

mysta2

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
In 1962 I guess no one put anything big in a pickup. My Ranchero has no provisions for any kind of tiedowns. What should I do? I mounted 4 of these:

accessories_Tie%20Downs.jpg

to the bed sides to use for now. But they're a far cry from what I want to have in it long term. I want to be able to haul one bike in the center or two side by side, I've been looking at the track systems:

RailTrack_Tonneau_05.jpg

but there's a lot of different types and I haven't ever worked with any of them, to know what I want out of the system.

I kind of like this:

bed_buddy_trk_185.jpg

I'd have to fabricate my own because of the odd bed size I have, but I like the idea.

Advice?

you have a few options... i would sugest getting a flat piece of 3/4 plywood, monting a wheel chuck to that and tossing that in the back of the truck from there you can either run eyelets in the top like oyu hae there or you can put the bike in backwars and run them down to your bumper

I was at first going to get some nice chocks that I could bolt to the bed, but I would taking them off and putting them on all the time which I don't want to have to do. Another factor with those is that the forward third of the bed has a storage compartment under it and I'll be making a split in the center hatch for it that I can open when there's a bike in the middle. The fact that the front of the bed will be almost all door is going to compromise the rigidity of it and not allow me to bolt anything to it. So I'm somewhat limited to the bedsides or front. The tailgate wont close with a bike in the bed so I'm not sure I can lash anything to the bumper.

Why wouldn't the 2 eyes on each side and some decent knots be able to secure 2 bikes side by side? I would maybe add another 2 at the front of the bed and 1 each 1/2 way up the side at the back just inside where the tail gate would close. if they are properly secured this should work just fine. why would you need the adjustable ones if you've got one about every 2.5' anyways?

If I was going for pure function there's nothing wrong with them. But I never go purely for function. The real purpose of this truck is to haul my bikes around and work as an advertizing tool for the Dropbars name. If again I was going purely for function I would have bought a van or at least a newer truck. I'll be taking this thing to as many shows as I can get to with the bikes in the back, the way that I handle the tie downs in the bed is an opportunity to do something unique and off the shelf eyelets do not properly represent my capabilities or style.

Ahh. If it were my truck I'd use cleats like they do on boats; form and function, but maybe I sail to much. Do what ever you think will be most impresive then.

Back
Top Bottom