Track Bike - kz550

Finally found a track day to fit my schedule! :D Sept 17th @ Toronto Motorsports Park, Cayuga, Ontario. Vintage bikes and a full day on the pavement!! Should be a blast as long as the weather holds up! ;D Anybody want to join us?

Sign-up right here:

torontomotorsportspark.com/tmp-vintage-motorcycle-track-day/

The weather forecast for today has been horrible for the last 3 weeks. Lots of sun and dry weather on either side of the 17th, but rain, rain, rain for Saturday. My prayer was that the forecast would be off by a day or so. ::)

The day started out pretty good! Grey skies but a bit of sun peeking through. :D They called for the rain to arrive at 11:30am. :p They weren't wrong. :mad:

I only got one 20 min. track session in before it really started to look bad. I just barely got packed up before it started pouring down. Oh well, next year! :D

That's 20 minutes more track time than I've had in SIX YEARS.

Be happy.

(that bike is SO nice)

grandpaul said:
That's 20 minutes more track time than I've had in SIX YEARS.

Be happy.

(that bike is SO nice)

Ya GP, I guess I shouldn't complain should I. :(

The 550 is nice, but it ran horribly and wasn't a whole lot of fun for the few laps I got in. But as I've been reminded, I'm not complaining. ;)

Tune-A-Fish said:
You should buy my 750... you have all winter to tinker :eek:

That's a real nice 7fiddy Tune, but...

I think I've got more than enough tinkering ahead of me. :D

And we get say 8 runs at say 15 seconds a time (to keep the numbers simple), so that's about 2 minutes a weekend by say 2 race weekends.

When we road raced, that was different though :)

teazer said:
And we get say 8 runs at say 15 seconds a time (to keep the numbers simple), so that's about 2 minutes a weekend by say 2 race weekends.

Yup. Enter the same bike in all the classes it's qualified for and you'll be worn out by Sunday afternoon. ;D

Random bump but, how often do you get out to TMP? I've done a bunch of track days there on my bikes from the past (R6, SV650, MV Agusta, etc) and in past cars as well. Great track for some quick seat time that's not that far away. I will be tracking my CB550 there as well.

GV1390 said:
Random bump but, how often do you get out to TMP? I've done a bunch of track days there on my bikes from the past (R6, SV650, MV Agusta, etc) and in past cars as well. Great track for some quick seat time that's not that far away. I will be tracking my CB550 there as well.

Howdy GV1390! :D

Well, I have been getting out twice per season, once in the spring and again in the fall. But lately, It's been tough. My schedule hasn't lined up with those particular dates. :mad:

I'm considering going out to Shannonville this year, but I'd be riding with a bunch of sport bikes and my kz550 would be drastically over matched. :p I still might do it though. :D

teazer said:

Definition of Drag Racing: Hours and hours of boredom interrupted by a few seconds of sheer terror. ;D

Drag racing ?

drag-queens.jpg

Exactly. Guys in all sorts of bright colored outfits running as hard as they can. In our case on a bike, but whatever floats your boat. it's all good.

Nice build man! I actually just picked up an 83 kz550 to build for AHRMA vintage superbike middleweight. I'm probably going to keep the bike pretty mild at first.

I like what you did with the wheels. I'm trying to stay mags, but I can't find an 18" mag front that I like. By ahrma's rules, I can run 17s but I just don't think its period correct to run modern wheels.

If you have any spare parts you are not going to use, let me know.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

J.Sharer said:
Nice build man! I actually just picked up an 83 kz550 to build for AHRMA vintage superbike middleweight. I'm probably going to keep the bike pretty mild at first.

I like what you did with the wheels. I'm trying to stay mags, but I can't find an 18" mag front that I like. By ahrma's rules, I can run 17s but I just don't think its period correct to run modern wheels.

If you have any spare parts you are not going to use, let me know.

All the best with your build J.Sharer! Get a 'thread' up right here please. 8)

The wheels were just some that I had lying around here, waiting for a 'project'. They work just fine for my purposes. :D

I'm surprised that AHRMA would allow 17" wheels. Here in Canada I'm pretty sure the VRRA says you have to stay true to your period. I think 18's would be the best bet in that case. If you're allowed, I'd just lace up a set of 17's and be done. 8)

I don't have any bits left unfortunately. :-\ However, if I find anything that might be of interest to you, I'll let ya know. :)

Drewski said:
All the best with your build J.Sharer! Get a 'thread' up right here please. 8)

The wheels were just some that I had lying around here, waiting for a 'project'. They work just fine for my purposes. :D

I'm surprised that AHRMA would allow 17" wheels. Here in Canada I'm pretty sure the VRRA says you have to stay true to your period. I think 18's would be the best bet in that case. If you're allowed, I'd just lace up a set of 17's and be done. 8)

I don't have any bits left unfortunately. :-\ However, if I find anything that might be of interest to you, I'll let ya know. :)
Will do, I'm actually going to be at the AHRMA round this weekend with my old 2 stroke, so I am going to pick the brains of some of the people racing 550s. I look forward to getting it on the track.

J.Sharer said:
Will do, I'm actually going to be at the AHRMA round this weekend with my old 2 stroke, so I am going to pick the brains of some of the people racing 550s. I look forward to getting it on the track.

Superb! :D Picking racer's brains ahead of time is a great plan. 8)

We still have snow falling here today. :eek: I'm quite jealous. ;)

Getting on the track also sounds like a great plan! :D However, get some pics of that 2 stroke in action or it didn't happen! ;D

Have fun and be sure to report back here. I'm living vicariously through you. :)

Well, I'll be missing another trackday. :mad:

For the Spring session, they keep picking a weekend in the middle of May, and that's my anniversary. We're spending 2 weeks in Florida this year to celebrate, so don't feel too sorry for me. ;)

On the plus side, this will just give me more time to get the 550 on my buddy's dyno. I think that's the only sure way to correct the stumble that we're experiencing. :) So, as soon as the snow stops falling, I'll truck her over to his shop and get in line. :p Stay 'tuned'. ::)

Happy Anniversary Drew!
8)

Hope to see you out and about this year.
Have a newer bike to show you.

78kz said:
Happy Anniversary Drew!
8)

Hope to see you out and about this year.
Have a newer bike to show you.

Hey thanks Rob! :D

I see it's a zrx!! Cool! What colour? ;)

Back
Top Bottom