Iron and Clematis 2015

BedlamWerks

Custom motorcycle parts and aluminum fabrication
Hey guys. I just posted a blog of our experience at the Iron and Clematis Vintage Festival last month in West Palm Beach Florida. Check it out! Anyone else in attendance? Would love to hear about it!

"February this year was the kickoff for events that we will be participating in and hosting in 2015. On the 21st of last month we attended the 2nd Annual Iron and Clematis Vintage Motorcycle Festival, held in West Palm Beach, Florida hosted by Vintage Iron Club. I have some good news, some bad news, and some great news about the show, in that order. The good news was that we had a great time, we got to meet and talk to so many people that were interested in our work, and we walked away with new friends and projects that we are very excited about. First, I’ll give you an overview of the weekend.

It was a balmy 20 degrees in Georgia so Travis, Rich and I decided to get there early to enjoy some Florida sun while Peter and his brother Paul, who had been visiting from Canada, finished up some work at the shop. They planned to ride down on their bikes and meet us on Saturday. In the midst of getting prepared, we had some free time to explore the city. I wandered around town where I found an Irish pub called Oshea’s and stopped for a lunchtime beer and a snack. The good food, friendly staff, and convenient location (directly across from our tent) kept us coming back for the whole weekend. Travis and Rich took the day to go scuba diving. The wind was cold but the water, I’m informed, was perfect. And they saw a shark!

I will skip over the mention of several other killer restaurants we patroned (blue crab anyone?) except one French joint called Hullabaloo, where we were hosted by the lovely Breeann Poland who emceed the show. She introduced us to her close friends and Florida natives Tim and Leigh Anna Hunt who are allowing us to do some work on their Triumph! - At the end of the weekend we took the bike back home with us and it is now sitting in our shop anxiously awaiting some Bedlam Werks original upgrades:) - Afterwards we popped next door to see an art show at Habatat Galleries that consisted of some impressive glasswork. A highlight was Robert Mickelsen’s ‘Weapon’s of Peace.’ He makes extremely intricate water pipes in the form of various types of guns, and one interactive glass trebuchet piece that shot handmade glass paintballs at a outdoor wall. It was pretty epic. See the video here. Everyone retired early that night to get ready for the festival, which lasted from 12pm to 9pm the next day.

We arrived bright and early to get set up. There were some minor discrepancies with vendor spaces, but they were worked out quickly and the sun was shining bright so no damage done. Every time we attend a motorcycle event, we try to have a little something different to offer than the previous one. Since pairing up with Dime City Cycles, who is now carrying our parts for distribution, we have streamlined our seat pan design to be more unified in form and structure. The biggest difference is the upholstery pan now has a more uniform fit so it can be ordered at any time and the size remains consistent with all of our designs. I also put together new print media for the shop, including a 12 month calendar for 2015 and full size posters of our builds. Both can currently be purchased by emailing bedlamwerks@gmail.com or calling our office at 706-395-8638. Along with the updated product line and print work, I created a slide-show of in-progress shots from around the shop to showcase all of our new developments. It’s important to us to share our process with others, so we make a point to offer detailed photos and guides for all those aspiring metal workers out there looking to customize their bikes. This information can be found on our blog.

People trickled in for a while until the mid part of the day where a larger crowd started to form. The Urias Globe of Death was not far down from our location and they were doing shows every couple of hours throughout the day. It ended up raining which halted things for a little while but it didn’t last long. There was live music, giveaways, free samples of rum offered by Black Coral Rum, and motorcycles lined up and down the street. Many of them were entered in the contest, of which the categories were Best in Show, Best Restoration, Best American Iron, Best Japanese Iron, Best British Iron, Best Bobber, and Best Cafe Racer. We entered our custom 1976 Honda CB550 to be considered for Best Cafe Racer. Although we did not win this time around, we received many positive comments on the bike. With a couple new builds on the way, we will definitely be trying again next year!

Some of the other sponsors included Ace Cafe, Dime City Cycles, Iron and Air Magazine, PBR; Lugnut Customs, who designed and provided the trophies for the awards; and Rockitman Radio, who raffled off a full cafe racer motorcycle to a lucky winner in attendance. A pin-up contest was held, and I have to give props to all the lovely, confident ladies who got up there to participate. Peter and his brother Paul showed up after dark and got to catch the tail end of the festivities. We chatted with one of the PBR reps who gave us hats and let me sit in the Pabst car. It was shaped like a giant PBR can! Finally things started wrapping up around 9:30, and after a long day we were able to pack up our tent and our THREE bikes to bring back home, with the addition of the Triumph. Of course we were all starving, and since Peter and Paul traveled so far to get there we all decided to go out to one last group dinner to celebrate. We ended the night with some seriously spicy, delicious Thai food and crashed hard back at the hotel. We were happy to be going home the next day and rested easy reflecting on the success of the weekend.

Ok. So now for the bad news. About halfway into the nine hour drive back to Athens, I received a call from Paul. Peter had wiped out on his motorcycle. I want to say right away that he is ok. But it was a very scary experience. His brother didn’t have much information on what happened at the time, but he let me know that Peter was talking and moving. Peter has been riding motorcycles his whole life, and once rode from Canada all across the United States in a six month stretch. Luckily because of this, his knowledge on safety, and skills as a rider, he managed to stay calm, not panic, and keep the bike upright as long as he possibly before laying it down and sliding out.

This brings me to the great news. Although he is still recovering, he walked away with only minor injuries consisting of bruised ribs and a broken hand. I can’t emphasize enough, that no matter how experienced you are as a rider, treat every time you get on a bike with the highest level of preparation. Wear full gear, make sure all of your supplies are completely secure, conduct regular maintenance on your vehicle and check to make sure everything is working properly before you take off. It’s also a good idea to continue to take safety courses to keep your mind sharp and freshen up on techniques that could help you minimize damage in a crash, and hopefully prevent one altogether.

The sport of motorcycle riding is the lifeblood of this company. We are so thankful for the people that come together to share this passion and support the lifestyle make it possible for us to do what we love every day. Keep on riding, look out for each other, and stay safe out there you guys! Much love."

Follow links to videos and photos on our site: http://bedlamwerks.com/events/90-iandc2015

Attachments

• IMG_4965.jpg
    IMG_4965.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_3163.jpg
    IMG_3163.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_4963.jpg
    IMG_4963.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 301
Sounds like a gud time and the weather too 8) still wet n windy here in UK :'( and glad to hear ya mate gonna be ok after his spill :eek: I know the feeling as many of us do :-[ sure he will be back up and riding soon ;) say hi from the lads over here in UK (drastic way to get a new paint job pete haha) ;D ;D

yorkie350 said:
Sounds like a gud time and the weather too 8) still wet n windy here in UK :'( and glad to hear ya mate gonna be ok after his spill :eek: I know the feeling as many of us do :-[ sure he will be back up and riding soon ;) say hi from the lads over here in UK (drastic way to get a new paint job pete haha) ;D ;D
I definitely will! Thank you for keeping positive thoughts coming our way. Peter is tough, he will be back on the horse in no time. Hope the weather warms up for you soon! Stay safe out there:)

Back
Top Bottom