73 CL125s: Billiwhacker

My bud and I slapped some Black Friday parts on Billi today! New rear shocks from DCC for that scrambler stance:

J3CSSxO.jpg

p7SqZvQ.jpg

Then off went the kickstand and right crankcase cover and a few other things, and out came the clutch basket for some nice new plates. We didn't take that many pictures with the case open. Too many oily fingers and whatnot.

A3Ap2EV.jpg

lV8SOw5.jpg

But hey, it felt good to do some work again 8)

3nFamOh.jpg

We also got a tail light to install later on, but it's 12v and I need to make it work with the 6v system. I'm pretty sure it's as simple as swapping a 6v bulb, right?

scnLy79.jpg

I swear it'll look cool when it's mounted. I'm going to do some light chopping on the fender eventually -- one of my biggest inspirations for seat/fender/taillight comes from Mannydantyla's CL200 build. [link]

rvjHyXs.jpg

And on that note, I sourced a seat from a Michigan fellow who may also have some other parts for Billi. More on that later :-X

Anyone know of an American company that sells the right wiring harness I need before I send my money to Asia?

And speaking of which, is there any way to check the quality of the many ebay harnesses available?

maxDTM said:
Anyone know of an American company that sells the right wiring harness I need before I send my money to Asia?

And speaking of which, is there any way to check the quality of the many ebay harnesses available?

Max,
I think Matt at SparckMoto will know..

Just checked out the site :eek:

Looks like a damn good product but I don't have close to the budget for one of those setups at this stage :'(

I'd love to get one of those at some point down the line for sure.

You should be able to get a real good deal on a clean,used oem harness on Ebay late Dec. & in the beginning of Jan.,slow time for sellers.. keep checking it out.

lots of sellers are starting to drop their prices already but I'm waiting and hope to find a cylinder head in good cond. for an XR200 after a bit.

Looking for some advice from you 125 guys in the know:

I'm having a hard time getting the stock Keihin carb to work on this bike. I've disassembled and cleaned it several times, but I can't get the bike to run with it. The choke does not seem to work, though I can't see anything mechanically wrong. The jets/float settings are similar to the Mikuni on my other 125, and that Mikuni carb does work on this bike.

Anyway, I wanted to buy the same Mikuni carb for Billiwhacker since I know it works. It's the VM22 with "3847" stamped on it -- not the VM22-133. Problem is that the only retailers for that one are eBay sellers (such as this one), so I'm worried about getting a Chinese knockoff. I called a local shop that specializes in Mikuni and they hadn't even heard of the 3847 version.

Do I:
A) Spend $40 on the fleaBay Mikuni?
B) Purchase another carburetor of your recommendation?
C) Keep trying to fix the wonky Keihin?

Appreciate your advice!

BTW, got a bunch of parts and I've gotten motivated to "finish" the project soon. 8)

Hi Max. It took me a few tries to get my XL100 going with its original Keihin, but now it runs like a gem. Besides cleaning the carb, I replaced its gaskets with those from an OEM kit. My CL has one of these Chinese clones installed. It runs as well as the XL, though I had a couple problems early on and Wincycles (the company that sells the carb) ignored my calls and emails completely.

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. I'm curious about the Mikuni, but it's true there's no shortage of unscrupulous people selling fake and damaged parts on Ebay.

I've fixed the stock carb. a number of times;I have a couple extra 'parts carbs.',helps to have spare oem parts.

Max, can you confirm that the cl100 header will fit the cb125? Assuming if it fits the cl125, it should fit the cb125 too.

rupaulpierce said:
Max, can you confirm that the cl100 header will fit the cb125? Assuming if it fits the cl125, it should fit the cb125 too.

So sorry, missed this post a while back! Yeah, the 100 exhaust does mount up to the 125 just fine.

Still haven't messed with the carb :-X I need more time and motivation.

Pth96uU.jpg

If it helps I have an '81 CB125S and my stock Keihlin was not up to the job even after cleaning probably needs new gaskets, jets, etc.

Ended up getting a clone Mikuni exactly like the add you posted and it worked immediately and since has worked way better than the Keihlin and am still using it. I can start the bike cold after a full winter of storage no problem.

Back
Top Bottom