www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

* RestoCycle Banner

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Happy to be here  (Read 465 times)

Offline NobleHops

• Recovering geek
    • RestoCycle LLC - Vapor Blasting and Japanese Cycle Restorations
Happy to be here
« on: Feb 21, 2016, 13:16:31 »
Greetings to all you builders and rockers. Very glad to be here.

My outfit is called RestoCycle and my name is Nils Menten. I might know a couple dozen of you guys from other boards, or even Facebook. As I said, I'm glad to be here, this is a cool community and a great site.

I setup shop here in Tucson, Arizona about a year ago to do two main things: Build and restore cool old motorcycles and help other people do the same. And just like all of you, this is something I am passionate about. Being 50-something I came of age in the 70s, and witnessed the tail of the Café era and the dawn of the Superbike era here in the US and in France during a year-long stay there. I have owned dozens of motorcycles along the way, UJMs and dirt bikes and supersport tourers and ADV bikes, but none of them stir my soul like the air-cooled beauties of the 70s and early 80s. There is something visceral about riding them, owning them, living with their quirks and getting to know their individual character. And so that is what I mostly focus on for my own projects.

At the moment we are nut-and-bolt restoring a 75 Kawasaki Z1-900 for a customer in Switzerland, a CB400F that we acquired 80% restored, and there is an 81 CF750F on deck for a light restomod project. We've also got another Z1, an XS650, a CB350F, a pair of CB750Ks, a pair of CBXs, and even a couple of cool little Honda CT70s squirrelled away awaiting their turn on the lifts.

The other half of the shop is devoted to a process I think you guys will be very interested in for your own projects - abrasive vapor blasting. This is something I caught wind of several years ago, but at the time there were very few people doing it here in the USA. Having struggled to restore the finish of the aluminum parts on my own projects, I was intrigued by the results I got when I sent some parts for blasting, and so after much research and study, I purchased the best equipment I could find for the purpose and setup shop to do that too.

If you've never seen this done, it's pretty amazing to see. Vapor blasting is a multi-step process for cleaning and restoring the surface of non-ferrous metals (read: aluminum). Disassembled parts are precleaned, masked and plugged, and then blasted in a watertight cabinet with a slurry of water, detergent, compressed air and fine abrasive media. The cabinet itself looks like a second cousin to a conventional dry blast cabinet, only larger, more complex, and a lot more expensive :-).

The results are the amazing part.

Alright, if you made it this far, I better cap this introduction off here, but not before saying I am glad to be here and to sponsor this excellent community, and I look forward to helping you guys with your builds. Please be in touch if you have any questions or if I can be of service.

Best,

Nils Menten

« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2016, 16:51:33 by NobleHops »
Nils Menten * Tucson, Arizona, USA *
I do vapor blasting! http://www.restocycle.com
Ikon shocks for your sweet ride! https://www.ikonshocksusa.com/
Proud sponsor of DO THE TON

Offline chucky1970cb100

Re: Happy to be here
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 22:25:15 »
Greetings to all you builders and rockers. Very glad to be here.

My outfit is called RestoCycle and my name is Nils Menten. I might know a couple dozen of you guys from other boards, or even Facebook. As I said, I'm glad to be here, this is a cool community and a great site.

I setup shop here in Tucson, Arizona about a year ago to do two main things: Build and restore cool old motorcycles and help other people do the same. And just like all of you, this is something I am passionate about. Being 50-something I came of age in the 70s, and witnessed the tail of the Café era and the dawn of the Superbike era here in the US and in France during a year-long stay there. I have owned dozens of motorcycles along the way, UJMs and dirt bikes and supersport tourers and ADV bikes, but none of them stir my soul like the air-cooled beauties of the 70s and early 80s. There is something visceral about riding them, owning them, living with their quirks and getting to know their individual character. And so that is what I mostly focus on for my own projects.

At the moment we are nut-and-bolt restoring a 75 Kawasaki Z1-900 for a customer in Switzerland, a CB400F that we acquired 80% restored, and there is an 81 CF750F on deck for a light restomod project. We've also got another Z1, an XS650, a CB350F, a pair of CB750Ks, a pair of CBXs, and even a couple of cool little Honda CT70s squirrelled away awaiting their turn on the lifts.

The other half of the shop is devoted to a process I think you guys will be very interested in for your own projects - abrasive vapor blasting. This is something I caught wind of several years ago, but at the time there were very few people doing it here in the USA. Having struggled to restore the finish of the aluminum parts on my own projects, I was intrigued by the results I got when I sent some parts for blasting, and so after much research and study, I purchased the best equipment I could find for the purpose and setup shop to do that too.

If you've never seen this done, it's pretty amazing to see. Vapor blasting is a multi-step process for cleaning and restoring the surface of non-ferrous metals (read: aluminum). Disassembled parts are precleaned, masked and plugged, and then blasted in a watertight cabinet with a slurry of water, detergent, compressed air and fine abrasive media. The cabinet itself looks like a second cousin to a conventional dry blast cabinet, only larger, more complex, and a lot more expensive :-).

The results are the amazing part.

Alright, if you made it this far, I better cap this introduction off here, but not before saying I am glad to be here and to sponsor this excellent community, and I look forward to helping you guys with your builds. Please be in touch if you have any questions or if I can be of service.

Best,

Nils Menten
Just a quick ? What's a good way to clean up spokes on wire wheels? Surface rust and what should/could I do to keep them clean. Bike is 70 Honda cb100 in fairly descent shape but don't want to do a lot to it. I like the patina of it now but would like the wheels to look a little better. Rims themselves came pretty clean. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using DO THE TON mobile app

Offline NobleHops

• Recovering geek
    • RestoCycle LLC - Vapor Blasting and Japanese Cycle Restorations
Re: Happy to be here
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 13:58:59 »
A product called NevrDull is perfect for that task. You'll love it. Report back!
Nils Menten * Tucson, Arizona, USA *
I do vapor blasting! http://www.restocycle.com
Ikon shocks for your sweet ride! https://www.ikonshocksusa.com/
Proud sponsor of DO THE TON