The Amalgam: honda past meets present, take 2! or 3?

Doing a little research, and I can swap out the 450 swingarm for a 360, which I already have, and it'd be about 2 inches longer. Would there be any benefit from this? I would obviously increase the rear shock length to match to avoid lowering the rear. If it's not going to make the bike do anything better I'm not going to bother, especially since I already have hagons on the right length for the 450 swingarm. The only thing I could find is the 450 arm is thicker,so less likelihood of flex, which only makes a case to keep what's there.

Thoughts?

I'd be looking at the total wheelbase more than anything. Where does that extra two inches put you? Longer wheelbase equates to poorer turning, but more stable straight away cruising. Sport bikes are going to be in the range around 55 inches. A cruiser will be in around 65 inches.

i use 2-3 inch longer swingarms swapped on to the cx500 frame all the time

usually its to add monoshock capability or to swap final drives/wheel type

that little length difference only slightly improves ride and does not really change the handling that i can feel

Thanks for the info guys. Cb450 is 53 inches stock, but I lose a little with the slightly shorter front end, though its definitely less than half an inch. So with the extension itd be 54.5 to 55 inches. I figured it wouldnt make thay much of a difference, and if anything the stiffer swingarm may be more desirable.

I stand corrected. The cb350 forks are 1 inch shorter than stock cb450. Added to the inch i lose in the triple without the drop in the top triple thats now a noticeable 2 inches shorter, so perhaps 1 inch less wheelbase, about the same as a cb350.

Soooo.... its kinda low.... gonna need an insane stiff suspension!

Attachments

• IMG_20170622_191925_111.jpg
    IMG_20170622_191925_111.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 231
Luugo86 said:
Dig the belly pan

Thanks, but if I decide to fix the ground clerance, which I really should, I'll have to ditch it when I make a new header. The oil pan will have to get redesigned as well.

Looks great, but there is a serious chance of grounding that baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What? 2 inches of ground clearance isnt enough??? :eek: yea talk about a boner of a move. Reallly stiff suspension!!! I mean theres ways to fix it, none of which will be cheap.

Would that even fly on a track??

Fortunately im building this more as a "check this shit out" than to ride. I wanna see if i can get it in some shows, and then have it decorate my living room.

This is eating at me. Movong the exhaust is easy, but the oil pan... i gotta see with the oil feed looks like to see if i can make a different pan.

It's actually pretty cool
There's plenty of ricer cars near me with less clearance than that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I of course need to get in there, but it looks like I can get another 2 inches of ground clearance by just changing the shape of the pan and building a new exhaust. That's a shit load of work, but then I have 4 inches clearance which works. A buddy of mine offered to have one 3d printed as a mockup

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-06-23-16-34-18-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-06-23-16-34-18-1.png
    165.1 KB · Views: 653
The plan is to drop the exhaust and pan today. My buddy is gonna take it to work to scan, and he is gonna cnc a new flange to build a pan onto. Im also going to have him do a flange for the throttle bodies to build the intake off of. I also ordered a 7mm offset 520 sprocket to finish up the powertrain.

As far as exhaust, i want to do something different, might try to keep that metal shield and have the exhaust exit through it somehow. The cat is going buh bye, maybe just a small can behind the shield then tubing from the back of it to exit the shield. Just thinking out loud.

Exhaust and oil pan removed. My buddy is making me a billet oil pan that will hold the same amount and be 2.5 inches shallower. So down to just the exhaust once i get the pan

Attachments

• IMG_20170624_145931_747.jpg
    IMG_20170624_145931_747.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 234
Back
Top Bottom