81 CB 750C

BIKE MIKE

Hello All,

New to the forum and the café scene. Just brought home an 81 CB750C yesterday. I have plans to convert to café/brat style, mostly cosmetic upgrades along with the standard tune up parts and any necessary repairs. I have been reading a lot about the different models and realize that I may have given myself more of a challenge going with the "C" model. Either way its in the garage now and I'm going to make it work for me.

Currently my to do list is as follows:
-Disassembly and deep inspection of components and hardware
-Remove, disassemble, & clean carbs
-Tighten cam chain (has THE knock)
-New plugs
-New consumables (filters etc.)
-Replace front brake pads (some pulsing at higher speeds) if that doesn't correct issue I'll move to replacing the rotors
-Build custom seat/fender
-Aftermarket tail light, head light, and turn signals
-Drag bars, grips, and eventually gauges.
... and I'm sure there are things I forgot but as the work progresses this list will grow

(PO recently changed oil, filter, starter and solenoid) I'll change the oil and filter eventually but for now its good

I am having a hard time locating a carb rebuild kit. I would like to get the randakks but for my model its sold out. The only others I have found so far are for the "K" models. Are these compatible as long as they are for the same-ish year and DOHC?

I appreciate the information that you all have put out there and look forward to this build. I will post pics throughout the process which may take time as funds are available so be patient. I am attaching a pic of my bike the day I picked it up and my inspiration Thanks

Attachments

• 20160823_190744.jpg
    20160823_190744.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 462
  • B02.jpg
    B02.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 468
randakks is closed till sept 17 he has inventory its just not showing

Awesome glad to hear it, I guess I have a few weeks to disassemble and clean them before I order the kit. Thanks

I'm also in the middle of a '81 750C build. Glad to see I'm not the only one trying to "tackle" this bike. I think they have great potential despite not being the most desired model. Yours looks super clean to begin with and I'll be following your progress for sure.

Cheers

Thanks bignickel, it definitely has potential and I'm looking forward to the project. The bike has some surface rust here and there (unfortunately living in new England it's hard to not find any) other than that I was lucky. I got the bike from a Vietnam vet who took very good care of it and aside from a tune up its pretty mechanically sound. Well work through this together!

So after the first weekend... new drag bars, grips, & mirrors on order. Rear end stripped and seat shaping has begun (can't afford new right now so I'm working with what I have)

647aa915e25d02e9217e8ffa9260f750.jpg

4fa1934bbcf376e6fb18352c289687e2.jpg

9573cf9622e64bd33149a123080c369a.jpg

c400509fc6efcf00a2a1300b1b5dc95a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using DO THE TON mobile app

Thanks, it still needs some work. I'm trying to keep the original seat pan just for ease of mounting. Once I get the shape I want I'm going to cut the pan and re-upholster with marine vinyl.

Update:

Decided to use the old leather than re-upholster the seat. I slimmed down the seat pan and screwed the old material underneath. Got led turn signals mounted on new brackets and tail light mounted to the stock fender which I repositioned to clean it up a bit. Electrical wired up (had to get electronic blinker relay for leds) now waiting for the front end parts to arrive.

Attachments

• 1472999538313.jpg
    1472999538313.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 453
  • 1472999547110.jpg
    1472999547110.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,611
  • 1472999553618.jpg
    1472999553618.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 1,552
I put the drag bars, mirror, grips on, re-assembled the controls and she feels/looks great. Ill post a pic later (at work right now) but I was wondering about the rear suspension. I feel like it sits low in the rear. I know the cb750 "c" was the cruiser style. I have the manual and can replace the stock suspension however I feel like they are too short for the look I'm going for. can someone tell me how much getting longer springs will affect the bike, handling etc. even just to raise it up 1-2"?

Hi Mike, For a C model I think the stance looks great, meaty rear tyre, shortened seat and straight bars are a 'look' in it's own right.

I have no direct experience in raising rear suspension and how it can affect steering handling, but altering the fork angle can quicken the steering or make it twitchy and potentially dangerous. However, on the basis of suck it n see, before shelling out your hard earned $$$ on longer shocks,maybe a cheap pair of shock extenders might allow you to feel the affect in reality?

Spotted these Chinese made items which might suit?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4pcs-Motorcycle-Damping-Device-Booster-Rear-Shock-Absorber-Jack-Up-Riser-Black-S-/252505476088?hash=item3aca7fcbf8:g:CMQAAOSwawpXtqRu

PS I had to read 'nice fall ride' twice before I got it haha!

I appreciate your input. I agree after cleaning up the rear end it looks pretty good. After looking at other bikes I think it's more a lower font end than a raised rear. I'm thinking about just getting new rear suspension but not any longer. I've read about the steering issues with altering suspension and angles. I'm not trying to open a can of worms or add any issues just for cosmetics.

CB MIKE said:
I appreciate your input. I agree after cleaning up the rear end it looks pretty good. After looking at other bikes I think it's more a lower font end than a raised rear. I'm thinking about just getting new rear suspension but not any longer. I've read about the steering issues with altering suspension and angles. I'm not trying to open a can of worms or add any issues just for cosmetics.

How about sliding the fork legs down the yokes 1" or two and see what happens? You can always correct it if it causes issues?

Ran into an issue, cleaned my garage and noticed the motor covered in oil. Anyone tell me why this plug would come out and where I can get a new one? It's the plug where the cam tensioner is on the front of the motor.

Here #20 in the parts fiche http://shop.westernhonda.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2569461&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1981&fveh=133013

Damn that was fast, I looked at the same diagram in my manual but didn't recognize the part. I love the support within this community. Thanks a bunch esmoojee, I'll be ordering it tonight. Any idea why it would come out?

No worries, I’ve done a lot of searching for parts. Honestly, couldn’t tell you. Weird things happen. Good luck CBMike!

Back
Top Bottom