Classic bike show - Sunday

I was there yesterday, it was packed, prices of bikes ranged from extortionate to 'they've got to be joking. Took some video too,
it only scratches the surface as my little Canon camera can only hold about 30 mins of video before its full up.

Part1

https://youtu.be/fUo1Uk4doiU

Part2

https://youtu.be/VieiGqYIjMU

Glad i was sat down looking at some of those prices haha gonna put that on my to go to list for next year didn't realise it was so big will have to take a few quid in my pocket, some awesome bikes there too cheers for posting ya vids mate

I've been nearly every year since it started. This year saw the most ridiculous prices for everything. From the bikes to the parts and accessories / services.

Not only that, but the indoor displays feature the same bikes every year.

I took my Grimeca brake parts to be chromed. 8 pieces. All small parts - and all new.

First quote £64........ - are you for real? Second quote £124 !!! I shit you not.

So, they' all be Gold passivated - cost £5.

The outside displays were far more interesting - although bike prices still bordering on hallucinogenic.

Was it worth it? Borderline - but I did get my self adhesive foam for my KZ seat £5), piece of alloy tube to fit Monza fuel cap £2) and 3 good quality burrs for £10.

The Royal Enfield rep eventually confirmed that a 700cc Twin " will be available in 2018" ......that could get me interested !

Things sure got expensive when classic bikes became a fad again. Hope it settles eventually. Old bikes are supposed to be cheap, dammit! :D

datadavid said:
Things sure got expensive when classic bikes became a fad again. Hope it settles eventually. Old bikes are supposed to be cheap, dammit! :D

I know there's no point in talking about the good old days - but what really brought it home was seeing a very nice ( stock ) Norton ES2 in the same colour and spec as one I bought for my Dad in 1975. The price ? £6,000 - my Dad's ? £15 !!!!!!!!!

Dealers may ask extortionate prices, but I doubt many bikes get sold at those prices. The stalls often have bargains, the café seat stall had some nice seat units for £40, while outside the stall selling exhausts had some good deals too. Its always worth haggling too.

As for classic bike prices overall, we're in a bubble for sure, as there are currently bubbles in all asset classes... houses, classic cars, shares, classic bikes, watches etc. Its what happens when interest rates are near enough zero, and central banks are pumping out money like its going out of fashion. At some point, interest rates will go up and these asset bubbles will burst, could be a good / bad thing depending if your a buyer or a seller.

I met a guy at the weekend ( pal of a pal ) who has recently taken a considerable sum out of his bank ( savings) and bought a dozen random vintage, veteran and classic bikes. He was at the show to buy a few more with a budget of £50k.

Unfortunately this was all as an investment to future proof his savings! Primarily he is a car nut, but he gets a better potential return with bikes. It's doubtful he will ever ride any - sad.

Bevelheadmhr said:
Dealers may ask extortionate prices, but I doubt many bikes get sold at those prices. The stalls often have bargains, the café seat stall had some nice seat units for £40, while outside the stall selling exhausts had some good deals too. Its always worth haggling too.

Im after a seat and an exhaust for my cb360 project, wish i'd gone to the show now!

You dont know the name of the outfit selling those seats do you?

Am going to Kempton Park on saturday so maybe find at least the seat.....

TJ, send that guy my way please!!! I rebuild 3 or 4 old bikes a year, mainly BSA's, more for enjoyment than profit and prices have taken a real tumble recently....struggling to top £6k for this BSA that would have made a lot more a year ago!
And cafe racer type seats, I'll have a few on my stall at Ardingly show on Sunday (Stockman building stall 7).....

Attachments

• 009 (800x600).jpg
    009 (800x600).jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 218
Do you have a stock list / pix ?

He's a bit of a "private" person, but I'll certainly let him know.

TJ

Sderbyshire said:
Im after a seat and an exhaust for my cb360 project, wish i'd gone to the show now!

You dont know the name of the outfit selling those seats do you?

Am going to Kempton Park on saturday so maybe find at least the seat.....

Yep, they have a website... https://caferacerseats.co.uk/

beachcomber said:
I met a guy at the weekend ( pal of a pal ) who has recently taken a considerable sum out of his bank ( savings) and bought a dozen random vintage, veteran and classic bikes. He was at the show to buy a few more with a budget of £50k.

Unfortunately this was all as an investment to future proof his savings! Primarily he is a car nut, but he gets a better potential return with bikes. It's doubtful he will ever ride any - sad.

When folks who know nothing about an asset (classic cars, bikes etc) start to buy, because 'its better than money in the bank', and they cant lose, because ''just look how much prices have gone up'', its time to sell as we're definitely at or beyond the peak!

The recent fall in Stirling may prolong things a bit more with foreign buyers, but I doubt it'll last. Given that most of Europe (except Germany of course) are struggling. The next recession should see plenty of bargains coming out of Italy, Spain and the other club med countries. Besides, Classic cars and bikes make poor investments in the long term... no income, high costs of ownership (insurance, storage, maintenance ) and an uncertain future value. Buy because you love em, any increase in value is just a happy bonus imho.

Thanks TJ but ok as I finally sold it today, had to drop a bit but not too bad, still have my ST4S I'm trying to unload though!!
Lots of money to spend on my Honda project now.....mmmmm....shiny wheels at last!

Kempton Bike Jumble was as good as usual.

Here's my haul.

The Bell 500 Custom RSD (L) was £120 which included the carry case, £10 for the lipped peak. RRP/Ebay/Dealer = £159.99 and I could try it on for fit. I'd never be tempted to buy a helmet or boots online, to save a few quid, only to find they don't fit well, WOFT IMO.

Bergen T bar hex drive set = £10
Indicator pair = £8
HD Stainless ties = £5
6x rubber loom ties = £2
Non chemical cleaner - FOC trial bottle
Entry £6

Total spend was less than the RRP of the helmet, so a free day out I reckon.

I love a good scrummage and supporting event traders means they'll come again I hope. Even a few quid spent is something.

I would have most certainly saved money by going to the show, as I went out and bought a new horse that weekend.

I'm looking forward the international show in Spring next year. Might take the Triton along too.

Back
Top Bottom