CB360 Suspension Swap

cyglide

I've got a project 360 that I'm working on turning into a scrambler type build. I'm looking for some opinions on what options I have for the front end and for the rear shocks.

For the front end I'm thinking I would go with CB750 forks, wheel, and brake. I think I read somewhere on here that the cb750 front end should be a direct swap for the CB360 front end. Will I also need to pull the trees from the 750? Is there another better option for a front end that would be a direct swap?

What is the recommendation for the rear shocks? I want to keep somewhat the stock geometry of the bike, but I am 250# so I need something a little beefier for the rear. Chances are this bike will see a few gravel and dirt roads, but for the most part will just be a run around town bike here and there.

Thanks for the Help!

SOHC CB750 is a pretty easy front end swap. You'll need longer rear shocks to maintain the right stance. I used an 80s Pro Link rear swinger that I welded shock mounts to for the rear.

Cb550 might be better than 750.
I think the 550 forks are shorter, nearer to 360 length, and have softer springs than the 750.

I recently put 550 forks on my 360, you need the tripples as well, and likely will need to grind the lower tripple to clear the steering limit quadrant of the 360.

I did the dual disk conversion too, and retained the 360 18" front wheel, this necessitated modifying the caliper mount arms, and cutting axle spacers to centre the wheel, bit was pretty easy and worthwhile.

Steve

For a scrambler, you want the longer travel forks. It's not a strict street deal, so the extra travel is a good thing. The 750 swap also gives you a stock dual disc option if you want to go with period calipers and rotors and it brings the ride to a 13.5" rear shock over the stock 12". I converted my 360 over with an entire CB750 front end, but I used aluminum 18" Suzuki rims and a CB360 hub. If you want to check it out, it's there to reference.

Thanks for the input guys. I wonder if I could use some 13.5" shocks off a sportster for the rear with a CB front end.

You have a 200+ pound weight difference. The spring rate will likely be too stiff from a Sportster.

Back
Top Bottom