Electrical problems

dyldo

Hello acers,

I am having a spot of trouble and I'm hoping someone on here might have a solution.
My electrical system seems to have 'degraded' to the point where my horn doesn't work, high beam switch is back to front (on is off) and only my right indicators are working - though this has changed from only RF & LB :eek:

I have looked inside the controller and at all wiring connections and all seems fine, as far as I can tell.

Has anyone suffered from these problems, does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Yep, the guys are correct. Frame or engine earth have failed. This causes the the system to reroute through path of least resistance which is your lights. You often see this on trailers when the earth strap has failed causing blinkers to light up when the brake is applied or brake to flicker when blinkers are on.

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
I've checked the engine earth and as far as I can tell it's fine (I assume the earth is attached to the wire keeper in top middle of the picture)
oyyeRAI.jpg

I can't seem to find the frame earth, any tips?

Sorry for my rookie questions.
Thanks,
Dylan

dyldo said:
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
I've checked the engine earth and as far as I can tell it's fine (I assume the earth is attached to the wire keeper in top middle of the picture)
oyyeRAI.jpg

I can't seem to find the frame earth, any tips?

Sorry for my rookie questions.
Thanks,
Dylan
Under the seat, right hand side. Sorry no pick, an on the road.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Sneikz said:
Under the seat, right hand side. Sorry no pick, an on the road.

strange, I cannot find a contact point

Good news though, I found that one of the back indicators had disconnected which may have caused the front one to blow.
A real "DOH!" moment because I didn't expect a bad bulb when two stopped working.
Luckily that's an easy fix and I can hit the road again.

I will need to keep scratching my head over the horn and back to front headlight.

Thanks again for the help gentlemen

dyldo said:

It can look OK but still not be giving a good earth. I had to take the bolt out and clean everything with solvent.

Mine looks different because of the starter motor removal:

Attachments

• sprocket cover.jpg
    sprocket cover.jpg
    955.5 KB · Views: 254
Crazy, is the engine case ok to use as a common earth point? I assume if you run a solid wire back in to the harness it should be ok, just not sure if it's suitable or if running separate earths is preferable?

This earth is large for the electric starter. That’s its prime purpose. Secondary for charge circuit. Lights etc use the other earth strap to the frame under the seat.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom