300mm Rotors for a 1982 kz1000 front wheel

chrisx96

Hi all,

I'm currently fitting up an FZR front end to my 1982 KZ1000. I'm in need of a 300mm rotor that will bolt up to the stock kz1000 wheel.

Just curious if anyone knows, off hand, one that will bolt up.

Thanks!

fzr600 rotors should fit if yours is the 6-bolt rotor mounting pattern, will need a spacer to center the rotors in the FZR calipers as well as take up the 4mm difference in center bore. Motolanna makes a nice 10mm spacer for the yamaha XS650 that would work if 10mm is what would center your rotors into the calipers, if not a custom one similar would need to be made.

If it's the mag wheel, then it's a 7 bolt. If it's spoke, then it's 4 bolt. Post up pattern and measurements.

Thanks for the replies!

It's a 7 bolt with a 130mm ID. I'm not sure how to measure the bolt hole circumference.

I would need a 15mm offset, but I could always machine spacers to make up the difference

I could use the FZR wheel and rotor, but I'd prefer to stick with the stock KZ wheels, as I like the stock wheels better.

You're looking for 7 x 145mm. No such option in 300mm. An EX500 rotor has the same center hole size, it's 300mm but they are 6 bolt instead of 7. If you have to machine an offset anyway, maybe you can machine it as a 6 to 7 adapter, too.

irk miller said:
You're looking for 7 x 145mm. No such option in 300mm. An EX500 rotor has the same center hole size, it's 300mm but they are 6 bolt instead of 7. If you have to machine an offset anyway, maybe you can machine it as a 6 to 7 adapter, too.

is there some database you are searching? I have been wondering if there was a list of rotors and their dimensions similar to the fork tube size list that is floating around here.

doc_rot said:
is there some database you are searching? I have been wondering if there was a list of rotors and their dimensions similar to the fork tube size list that is floating around here.
http://www.metalgear.com.au/index.php

VN1600 (certain years are full floating others are rigid) - had it on my old Z1000J, worked a treat, but you have to be very gentle when breaking. Even on the racetrack with hot qualifiers on the front wheel you could overbrake the frontwheel.

Thanks,

I've been looking at some of the Vulcan rotors, looks from the pictures and specs like they would fit. Good to know someone else has done it.

Also, thanks for the metalgear link.

irk miller said:
Vulcan rotors are 270mm, the same as the stock KZ

Nope, not all years. :)

1996 VN1500 Classic, single 300mm brake disk with 7 mounting holes.

http://srtm.de/TRW-Lucas-Austausch-Bremsscheibe-MST210-VORNE-Kawasaki-VN-1500-Classic-Bj-96

And that's what it looked like on my old Z1000J-frontwheel:

IMG_6815.jpg

IMG_6834.jpg

But to be fair, it was a bit too much brake for the old girl...

der_nanno said:
Nope, not all years. :)

1996 VN1500 Classic, single 300mm brake disk with 7 mounting holes.

Rad! Thanks for this. I looked for a while to find a match on my CB750 where I ran KZ wheels. Ended up going with the KZ 750 front end because I never found 300mm discs.

No big deal, I found them via the Metalgear-catalogue. Be aware there's solid and floating versions, so you have to dig around a little until you find the correct one.

I found some more old pictures and quickly compiled them into a little blog post... Should give you an impression what you're up against.

http://greasygreg.blogspot.com/2017/02/ratz-brake-upgrade-floating-disks-on.html

Cheers,
Greg

Yes, I wanted to see if it worked better or not than a rigid disk. :)
(It does, as the brake comes on more progressively at the start. It was too much brake for the 19" front tire, nevertheless!)

Back
Top Bottom