Scrambler Tires Needed

surffly

Over 1,000 Posts
So the CL450 needs some tires.
Front is a 3.25X19
Rear is a 4.00X18

I assume 90/90-19 and 110/90-18 should work for modern metric sizes.

Would like to mount something mildly aggressive and off road.
Not knobbies though.

Something fitting the "scrambler" bit.
While the bike will live on the road and be used on the road I would like the option to do some "fire road" exploring.

What have you guys used?
What have you liked?

I've run Kenda K761, Shinko 705 and Shinko 700. My 1990 DR350 currently runs the Kenda up front and the Shinko 705 on the rear. Of the three, I think the 700 is the better dirt tire and the Kenda is the better street tire. The 705 kind of fits in-between. I've put the 700 on real trails and it does very well in more muddy/soft terrain and sand. It struggles more in hard pack stuff with a loosed layer on top, if that makes sense. Deep gravel, sand and pine straw will put you on your ass but that's the case with most non-knobbies. It doesn't turn so well in dirt, as compared to a real dirt tire, but it's good enough if you don't try to power through. I'd call it a 70/30 dirt/street tire. The Kenda is maybe more a 30/70 dirt/street tire. It actually has pretty good road characteristics, but it's more a fire road tire than an offroad trail tire, IMO. The 705 is closer in characteristics to the Kenda, but seems a little better on the dirt and not as good on the road. Maybe a 60/40 dirt street, or even 40/60. I guess that could average to 50/50.

I've run the Shinko 705's at 80+ MPH on a rain soaked Alabama interstate on my SR500 and I lived, so that's something ;) They get generally very good reviews, look the part and are inexpensive.

For my KLR I just received a set of Shinko 805 (rear)/804 (front). I've heard nothing but good things both on and off road, but they're definitely 'knobby' looking. I plan on riding 1800 miles round trip on them in May to the Spring Thaw in Kentucky, so we'll see how good they are on the highway.

The HF307 is a cheap DOT trials-universal that comes in your sizes. The tread is period-correct for your bike, but it's a buzz kill on pavement. Unless you're going to do a lot more than occasional gravel, for the CL I'd stick to dual sport tires like these fellas recommend.

jimmer said:
Shinko SR241.
This. I have them on my vintage enduro. Amazing on all surfaces off road except deep mud and pretty grippy on the pavement. I've run quite a few knobbies on the road (including a decent amount of highway speeds) and these tires are pretty damn good. A little squirmy because the blocks are wider spaced but not really that noticeable. Plus they're cheap to purchase.

Here's where I list all my bikes:
'71 Kaw 250 Bison
'81 KZ750 cafe
'94 XR250L
2014 Yamaha Bolt

In progress: '68 CL350
c3c9c02e8a55421323dc45e833adb1e8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom