www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Rearsets Hitting Exhaust....Please Help  (Read 1303 times)

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Rearsets Hitting Exhaust....Please Help
« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2017, 17:58:49 »
I like that, but it's a touch high unless the seat is tall and/or rider has short legs.

I would aim to get the peg roughly in line with the swingarm

Offline Harsh

« Reply #11 on: Apr 13, 2017, 08:27:48 »
The peg as it is in my first two pics is basically inline with the swingarm and that puts it just barely above the exhaust.  While I am taller the bike is being built for my daughter who is 6 or 7 inches shorter than I am.  I am sure I can suck it up for whatever riding I will do on the bike.  It isn't too much different than my track bike.
2014 Triumph Tiger
2007 Triumph Daytona 675 - Track Bike
1974 Honda CB750 Cafe
1972 (x2) Honda CB350

Offline Titan performance

• Titan cafe racer builders.
    • Titan Performance
« Reply #12 on: Apr 14, 2017, 13:00:59 »
Moving the exhausts seems like more work than moving the rearsets to me.....and I make both....!
The riser plate is the easy option, as you may even be able to drill  and bolt it on to what you have without the need to weld and mess your fresh paint. As an earlier poster said, the best option would be to cut away the existing mount and weld on your own plate to the frame tube, but how much work do you want to do? Design your riser plate, and get your nearest waterjet or laser cut firm to cut it from your template. If your linkage rods become too short with the new peg position, buy some 10mm aluminium rod, drill and tap M6 threads into the ends.......job done.
You can see the riser plate on my 500 pictured below.

The cutter guys can produce your design from a drawing, or a piece of card or paper cut to size and shape.....no need for any computer programmes.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2017, 13:10:54 by Titan performance »

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #13 on: Apr 14, 2017, 15:09:43 »
You might try to fit the pegs straight into the top rear bolt of that stock mounting plate and see if that works.  A simple way to mock it up would be to use a long bolt and fit the seat, bars and tank and have your daughter try it.  Until those other parts are fitted, it's all a bit of a guess as to how the ergonomics will work out. 

Offline Harsh

« Reply #14 on: Apr 14, 2017, 15:33:04 »
Are you referring to the bolt I circled?  If so that bolt has a welded nut on the backside and is smaller than the screw that holds the foot peg to the rearset.  Not that the nut couldn't be cut off and the hole drilled out, but that would require some sort of fixing to the powder coat.

I greatly appreciate all of the suggestions and help.  I have a plan in place.  I was talking with a guy that makes a riser plate and he told me what he used as a reference.  The stock exhaust uses a triangle piece to support it from the passenger peg bracket.  The passenger peg bracket is what I am using to mount the rearsets.  I dug my triangle pieces out of the extra parts pile, bolted them on, then bolted the rearsets to them.  Well what do you know...they work.  They are pretty thin so they flex too much.  I have a buddy that works in the R&D machine shop at Chrysler that is going to make me a set of riser plates.

Pics with the triangle piece bolted on.  For the last pic once you add the thickness of the plates it will kick the peg out far enough to easily get your toes underneath it with having to worry about touching the exhaust.  I have the levers adjusted for me and my size 12's so my daughter won't have to worry at all.

2014 Triumph Tiger
1974 Honda CB750 Cafe
1972 (x2) Honda CB350

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
« Reply #15 on: Apr 15, 2017, 11:37:12 »
Nice that works!

• Titan Performance
« Reply #16 on: Apr 16, 2017, 12:35:11 »
Good job.......that looks right.

Offline Harsh

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 08:57:13 »
Just a quick update.  I have a buddy that works in the R&D shop at Chrysler.  He fabbed up a sweet set of riser plates for me.

The flash caused some weird haze.

2014 Triumph Tiger
1974 Honda CB750 Cafe
1972 (x2) Honda CB350

• Titan Performance
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2017, 18:01:47 »
Magic ! Multi-adjustable !
Aren't engineers great !

Offline Harsh

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 11:32:06 »
I won't tell my buddy you called him an engineer...those be fightin' words to him :-X   Hell, he would probably punch me for even repeating it  ;)
2014 Triumph Tiger
1974 Honda CB750 Cafe
1972 (x2) Honda CB350