The Ducati Ebay Special

Nothing monumental to report- ordered some odds and ends, including all the maintenence stuff. I also ground down the side cover where it was torn apart from being layed down. I'll sand and polish it for now. Other small bits included making a new seat latch, and relocating a coil.

Future little work (pics to follow) is:

Clearcoat and buff tailight lens
spray tint the reservoirs to get rid of the yellowing
make new brackets for the wind screen. Spray tint the windshield.
new pads, plugs, belts, fluids.
Install oil cooler guard
Sand and polish other exhaust pipe
new bars, throttle, and grips
New ride height rod with more room to adjust.
Route tach signal wire
Remove right side front rotor and see how braking is. Right now it's very overbraked, I want to go down to 1 rotor in the front if I can, that way the front wheel can be seen, and a little weight goes away. If it still stops well I will leave it that way.

That's about it til winter!

Exhaust looks great!
Can't say I'm a fan of the headlight fairing though, looks like you had a cool fly screen and it melted in the sun ;D

Thanks guys! Sonic, that will be temporary. A friend of mine is going to help the cause by making a file for a new model I can have made up.

Wahoo!!! Got the ride height in the rear down a solid inch, and removed one inch of spacing outward some dumbass put on the reasets to make them clear. Some simple metal work and buh bye spacers! As a result, I can get half my foot on the ground, and the bike rides noticeably better with the geometry change. Extremely pleased!

Here's the color I'm digging for the frame, swingarm, and other bits. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-05-12-11-31-38.png
    Screenshot_2017-05-12-11-31-38.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 265
jag767 said:
Wahoo!!! Got the ride height in the rear down a solid inch, and removed one inch of spacing outward some dumbass put on the reasets to make them clear. Some simple metal work and buh bye spacers! As a result, I can get half my foot on the ground, and the bike rides noticeably better with the geometry change. Extremely pleased!

Here's the color I'm digging for the frame, swingarm, and other bits. Thoughts?

On Ducati? That color makes the Italians sad :-\

So what are you thinking for a color for the body work? That would make a difference... but that blue on the current color is EEEEK :eek:

3DogNate said:

So what are you thinking for a color for the body work? That would make a difference... but that blue on the current color is EEEEK :eek:

Lol! No, it will be a silver/gunmetal combo of sorts, likely a strip like there is.

I was going to suggest the iridescent blue but that's almost like the HonCati color, so maybe a hot metallic red with new tank color or a metallic silver for a more traditional Ducati look.

Or a black flake

teazer said:
I was going to suggest the iridescent blue but that's almost like the HonCati color, so maybe a hot metallic red with new tank color or a metallic silver for a more traditional Ducati look.

Or a black flake

My photographer yelled at me for blue again too- I dunno I just really like that one. If I don't go blue maybe green.

hailwood replica?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XycM2OPPIWQ/UNeW_m7QhsI/AAAAAAAADU8/J7-EoDL8kjM/s1600/DSC_0286.JPG

1973 imola replica?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-TRg_IQNk5uQ/VpuN3sgpAQI/AAAAAAAAMCo/AK-sQXeyzqk/s1600/PA-Ducati750Imola73-2015-001.jpg

green frame also? bit of a cliche.

http://robbreport.com/sites/default/files/styles/flexslider_full/public/images/articles/2006Jan/6203//p17uj5df2uevf1la91ut56o41t5d5.jpg?itok=tuD5-DSg

the problem with ducatis is that a lot of people don't really know what they made pre 1989, which was when they sort of went pretty much all red across the range. prior to that there was 35 years of many varied colours and schemes. black s2 is cool.

brad black said:
hailwood replica?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XycM2OPPIWQ/UNeW_m7QhsI/AAAAAAAADU8/J7-EoDL8kjM/s1600/DSC_0286.JPG

1973 imola replica?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-TRg_IQNk5uQ/VpuN3sgpAQI/AAAAAAAAMCo/AK-sQXeyzqk/s1600/PA-Ducati750Imola73-2015-001.jpg

green frame also? bit of a cliche.

http://robbreport.com/sites/default/files/styles/flexslider_full/public/images/articles/2006Jan/6203//p17uj5df2uevf1la91ut56o41t5d5.jpg?itok=tuD5-DSg

the problem with ducatis is that a lot of people don't really know what they made pre 1989, which was when they sort of went pretty much all red across the range. prior to that there was 35 years of many varied colours and schemes. black s2 is cool.

Haha don't tempt me with more blue. I could really get behind the Imola color scheme, just make it a little more modern with less heavy flake, or just heavy flake in a ghosted stripe down the center. Wait til you see what I do with the frame and tins ;D. I've been brainstorming, and I think I can keep the trellis look, and still go to a more vintage tank/seat setup narrower and lower. The tray to relocate the electronics isn't such a big deal, but the wiring is gonna be a bitch and a half. I also looked into moto 3 wheels that are narrower, I can go to a 2.5 up front and 3.5 out back.

Between the much mosh of old and new, it will either be really cool, or completely miss the mark.

you'll have trouble finding a narrow sss rear wheel i would have thought.

you could put a 170 rear and 110 front on what you have. narrow will look pretty odd i would think, and radials need wider rims.

i think you've got the wrong bike. not that my custom job in progress is any better, especially in terms of outrageous money spent on stupid wheel conversion.

brad black said:
you'll have trouble finding a narrow sss rear wheel i would have thought.

you could put a 170 rear and 110 front on what you have. narrow will look pretty odd i would think, and radials need wider rims.

i think you've got the wrong bike. not that my custom job in progress is any better, especially in terms of outrageous money spent on stupid wheel conversion.

Marchesini actually makes one for the rear that narrow. Oh, I know I've got the wrong bike, but being I can't afford a 1973 750ss I'll have to make my own haha.

3DogNate said:

Blue is in fact a traditional Ducati color. This idea that Ducatis have to be red is somewhat modern.

Google "Old Blue" (This is actually a replica but still....)
old.blue.rep.png

EDIT: Oops, missed Brad's post. Yeah, what he said.

DesmoDog said:
Blue is in fact a traditional Ducati color. This idea that Ducatis have to be red is somewhat modern.

Google "Old Blue" (This is actually a replica but still....

yes, the nuovo ducatista don't seem to get exposed to the history.

i forgot about old blue. i think the 500gp bike was blue frame with silver flake too. maybe it was more green now that i'm googling it.

they had a thing for flake back in the early 70's. also red frames with white fairings ala a lot of singles racers and the f1 santamonica.

Lol you guys are funny. After doing the "HonCati" I'm well versed in the ducati pedigree, and I know the original color schemes well. I could even get away with blue and gold if I wanted. The biggest issue I am having with all the ideas I come up with isn't the frame work orelectrical work, which I am very capable of doing, it's the sheet metal work. I know I could just pay someone to do it, but I kinda want to do it all myself, and while I'd be all in for learning, I simply don't have the space/ money for the tools needed.

A few parts have been trickling in, changed out the throttle, grips, and am still waiting on the rest. I have a mystery part coming thursday, which I am hoping fits the bike well.

A shot of the blue and gold 125 sport. They did it silver and blue also.

Attachments

• e594e3bd24550d8eb79e421fc1d6bb06.jpg
    e594e3bd24550d8eb79e421fc1d6bb06.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 238
Back
Top Bottom