Need help with modifying kyb usd forks!

Stribolt

Hi, im currently building a virago cafe racer.
The frame and engine is 1983 TR1
The suspension front and rear is from a 02 yamaha R1
The wheels are from a 96 virago 750:

Front rim is 19" and rare is 15"

My problem:
My front tire is going to hit the engine if i hit the front brake hard since i have a 19" front rim combined with the r1 usd front.

811590fe1afb248a40e6eae492080e8a.jpg

And i have put so much money and work to get able to use these rims that there is no possibility to change wheels
6caefa2b6888caca232533ff96119d83.jpg

The sulution i need help with is:
I want to put a mechanical stopper inside the USD fork so the fort hit bottom before the wheel hits the engine. I will combine this with reducing tire profile size. I was hoping that some of you had some experience with something like this and can point me in the right direction
15784934610374e25eb99574980c9dca.jpg

Sent from my iPad using DO THE TON

Is it possible to get longer lower legs? Increase the travel a bit more and put spacers in to keep the springs the same. I don't know much about USD forks so I don't know if it will work.

I have searched the web for some weeks now, no luck other than extension pipes for the upper part of the fork, but cost 400 usd + tax and shipping. So that is a no go

Sent from my iPad using DO THE TON

Maybe get a custom top triple clamp that drops down at the ends. You could probably get an inch of lift this way without too much hassle.

Cheapest option is to get extended fork caps so you can slide the forks down in the trees. You can slide them down about 4 inches by the looks of the taper.

I know you said you priced some online, but if you take the forks to a machine / engineering shop I bet they could spin some up in a lathe for "relatively" cheap.

Other options are new step-down trees (expensive), different forks (more expensive), or scrap the whole idea :eek:

Back
Top Bottom