Do new gaskets need sealant?

Scratcher09

Been Around the Block
I painted this CL350 motor with 2K urethane engine paint. I have a set of new gaskets. I've heard conflicting info on whether or not to use sealant on new gaskets.

Attachments

• IMG_4739BE7069FA-1.jpeg
    IMG_4739BE7069FA-1.jpeg
    361.6 KB · Views: 226
New gaskets should NOT need any sealant of any kind. There are small passageways that feed oil to the top end, and when you put the cover on, it will squeeze a small amount of sealant out and possibly causing oil starvation and damage to the top end. If the sealing surfaces are flat, no scratches, gouges, old gasket bits, etc. the gasket will seal without help. You might want to use a bit of white grease to help hold the gasket in place.

Ellis

If they are paper gaskets I use a smear of YamaBond / HondaBond / 3Bond.....whatever your favourite gasket sealer is (dont use RTV or plain silicon).

A smear on the gasket will not escape and ensures you have an effective seal. It also discourages the gasket from bonding to the cases and tearing when you have to take it off.

I always add a thin layer if using paper gaskets. When putting back together- tighten the bolts hand tight then let the the sealant tack/dry for 24 hours and then torque the bolts. This will keep the sealant from squeezing out all into the case.

This seems to be a heavy debate but you dont need to use any fancy hondabond yamabond blah blah blah, you cant use any sort of gasket maker - i like permatex "the right stuff"gasket maker. But you can use silicon sealants as well.

OEM style gaskets never need any goop on them. If you plan on removing a particular gasket many times, use a non setting gasket goo on one side only or simply grease that side of the gasket.

3 bond is great for sealing crankcase halves but that normally is the only place.

RTV (silcon) has no place inside a motor where it can come loose and block an oilway. The only place it is normally used is on exhausts to seal joints. Do not ever use it on say a side cover.

There are exceptions to every rule - even mine, but not a lot. :)

tylerdb said:
I always add a thin layer if using paper gaskets. When putting back together- tighten the bolts hand tight then let the the sealant tack/dry for 24 hours and then torque the bolts. This will keep the sealant from squeezing out all into the case.

This seems to be a heavy debate but you dont need to use any fancy hondabond yamabond blah blah blah, you cant use any sort of gasket maker - i like permatex "the right stuff"gasket maker. But you can use silicon sealants as well.

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

teazer said:
OEM style gaskets never need any goop on them. If you plan on removing a particular gasket many times, use a non setting gasket goo on one side only or simply grease that side of the gasket.

3 bond is great for sealing crankcase halves but that normally is the only place.

RTV (silcon) has no place inside a motor where it can come loose and block an oilway. The only place it is normally used is on exhausts to seal joints. Do not ever use it on say a side cover.

There are exceptions to every rule - even mine, but not a lot. :)

Yup!

The stuff in the little brown bottle with an injuin on the front is great for sealing up wire ports with O/D rings that need to be oil tight, a dab of it goes a long way to hold a gasket in place also, but no rtv blue red gray or pink is ever used on an oil seal. That shits great for the 10 bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Back
Top Bottom