wheel weights for tube tires?

huck_finn

Been Around the Block
I had some tires put on my wheels yesterday...had to pick them up after work (right before the shop shut down). When I got them out of my truck I saw the giant weights they put on my spoke to balance the wheel. Are these the only way to balance a wheel with tubes?

34611808675_eb8091310d.jpg

If there is a way to balance them without these freaking chunks of musket ball rejects, I am all ears.

You can put 2oz of airsoft bb's (or dynabeads) in the tube. Remove the valve stem core and drop 'em in there.

I use the stick-on rim weights from Motion Pro.

https://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/wheel_weights/

irk miller said:
I use the stick-on rim weights from Motion Pro.

Thanks!

If I didn't want to take it back to the shop - and just wanted to balance them myself - would I be able to replace the weights currently on the wheels with a a stick on weight of equal weight at the base of the spoke?

I would think the same weight of rim weights centered on the spoke where the shop put the spoke weight should at least get it pretty darn close, if not right on the money.

You can balance at home with the wheel on a stand or on the bike with the tire off the ground.
Just spin it and mark where it stops, spin it again. if it stops in the same place put a weight opposite of where it stops. Spin it again. Keep doing this until it stops at a random spot each time.

Spot on Sonic. But if want to keep the classic spoke approach, and then this is how it's done for spoked wheels.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I used balance beads when I put a car tyre on the back of my Intruder and they were excellent. No need for weights 8)

I use balance beads also. The problem with stick on or other metal weights is that as the tire wears it changes it's balance and should be rebalanced more often than most do. Balance beads rebalance the tire everytime you start moving again.

Beads are nice but when you hit a bump or something like rr tracks I noticed a short wiggle after with them so I use the minimize and stick on weights... balance on the true stand by spin and settle, but if you need a lot of weight try spinning the tire on the rim 180 or 90 even until you get a tire/wheel balance as close as you can, then add weight 180 from settle.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Back
Top Bottom